Ransack

2019 MLB Season Thread

808 posts in this topic

Carlos Carrasco has been placed on the IL for what is being called a "blood condition". Said he is stepping away from baseball to "explore treatment options". 

Sincerely hope that it's not cancer-related.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Mariners put Mitch Haniger on the IL with a ruptured testicle. He foul tipped a ball straight into the groin. 

50 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Mariners put Mitch Haniger on the IL with a ruptured testicle. He foul tipped a ball straight into the groin. 

Ouch!!

5 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Hurts to read that...

6 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

I was hoping the Braves would re-engage with Seattle in trade talks about him, but I guess we'll wait to see how this turns out.

Also: ow.

11 minutes ago, K26dp said:

I was hoping the Braves would re-engage with Seattle in trade talks about him, but I guess we'll wait to see how this turns out.

Also: ow.

He was #1 on my offseason shopping list!! Just think how much better this offense would be with him in RF.

CrimsonFalcon likes this

28 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

He was #1 on my offseason shopping list!! Just think how much better this offense would be with him in RF.

I remember that and after awhile im finally warming to that idea.  Probably why I was high on J.J. Bleday. He probably could still be had.

12 hours ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

I remember that and after awhile im finally warming to that idea.  Probably why I was high on J.J. Bleday. He probably could still be had.

I will have to look up who J.J. Bieday is because right off hand I don't have a clue right off hand.

15 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I will have to look up who J.J. Bieday is because right off hand I don't have a clue right off hand.

Vandy OF that went to the Marlins in the first round.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Jesse Biddle has an ERA of 8.53 through 7 games as a Mariner. His WHIP is 2.68, hes actually been worse in Seattle.

Washington has kind of been sneakily doing pretty well. Up to 30-35 and only 7 GB in the division. The NL East is doing fairly well as a whole. From top to bottom, we are very comparable with the rest of the NL. Honestly, the NL East is top to bottom just as good if not better than every AL division. The AL East/Central both have 2 stinker teams, and the West is Houston and then not much after that.

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

Washington has kind of been sneakily doing pretty well. Up to 30-35 and only 7 GB in the division. The NL East is doing fairly well as a whole. From top to bottom, we are very comparable with the rest of the NL. Honestly, the NL East is top to bottom just as good if not better than every AL division. The AL East/Central both have 2 stinker teams, and the West is Houston and then not much after that.

Coming into today 4 NL West teams were above .500. The Giants were the only team under .500 in that division.

As for the Nationals, I wouldn't get too caught up on their recent good run, you have to look at the competition. Marlins, Braves, Reds, White Sox and Padres. That's hardly the cream of the crop. That's 2 last place teams and a 4th place team in that run.

Reports that former Bostom DH David Ortiz was shot during a robbery attempt in the Dominican. No further details yet 

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Coming into today 4 NL West teams were above .500. The Giants were the only team under .500 in that division.

As for the Nationals, I wouldn't get too caught up on their recent good run, you have to look at the competition. Marlins, Braves, Reds, White Sox and Padres. That's hardly the cream of the crop. That's 2 last place teams and a 4th place team in that run.

I don't know how much long term staying power Arizona or San Diego has honestly. Seems like we did this with Arizona last year and they fell apart at the end of the year. San Diego is okay, but they feel like they'll be an 82-85 win team. 

I don't think we are the best division in baseball, but I think the gap is a lot smaller between us and everyone else than you would think. 

8 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Reports that former Bostom DH David Ortiz was shot during a robbery attempt in the Dominican. No further details yet 

Ortiz was shot in the back, bullet exited through his stomach. Ortiz underwent surgery and is stable, full recovery expected. The gunman is in police custody. 

********. It’s disturbing footage, so I won’t post it, but there is video of Ortiz right when he got shot. That was a ******* assassination attempt, not an attempted robbery. 

1 hour ago, ATLBrave said:

********. It’s disturbing footage, so I won’t post it, but there is video of Ortiz right when he got shot. That was a ******* assassination attempt, not an attempted robbery. 

Jon Lester has posted it was straight up hit on Ortiz.

4 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Jon Lester has posted it was straight up hit on Ortiz.

Based on the video footage alone, he's spot on. Ortiz was seated at a table talking to someone, when all of a sudden the assailant walks up behind and shoots him in the back from probably 5-10 feet away, if that. The footage I saw stopped after that, so there's no telling if the man made an attempt to actually steal anything, but I'd be hard-pressed to believe he did. 

15 hours ago, tl;dr said:

I don't know how much long term staying power Arizona or San Diego has honestly. Seems like we did this with Arizona last year and they fell apart at the end of the year. San Diego is okay, but they feel like they'll be an 82-85 win team. 

I don't think we are the best division in baseball, but I think the gap is a lot smaller between us and everyone else than you would think. 

I disagree. I think the NL East is the Phillies and Braves and then garbage.

Can someone explain to me how Odrisamer Despaigne continues to get multiple chances year after year to pitch in the majors when all he ever does is get shelled? He's 32 years old and got a career -2.9 rWAR, 4.94 ERA, 4.35 FIP, and 1.416 WHIP across 349 2/3 MLB IP.