Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ryantlanta

Grady Jarret Ranked 4th Best 2019 Free Agent

30 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Donald is special.  The difference from him getting the 20 mill a year contract as opposed to when Suh got similar from Miami is that Donald is double digit sacks yearly from the DT position. He almost cant be blocked at times.  Grady is a young stud on the rise.  I think each team's situation is different.  Donald is in a tough spot if J. Goff's contract was up at the same time as his.  Its very easy to pay K. Mack and Donald when you have QBs on rookie salaries.

Grady deserves a payday.  How much? Market value.  Cant be mad at anything around that.  You don't just move on from good players because they cost.  No team ever won like that. 

Agree with this big time, but the down side to paying a guy based on the market set by much better players & your own player's potential to maybe get to that point is it's also how you end up in situations like Tru, Freeman, Sam Baker, etc.

Stryka likes this

2 minutes ago, k-train said:

Agree with this big time, but the down side to paying a guy based on the market set by much better players & your own player's potential to maybe get to that point is it's also how you end up in situations like Tru, Freeman, Sam Baker, etc.

True but that's the nature of the NFL.  Some guys will get paid because there aren't enough good players to gauge against, some get paid because they have a fluke season and then don't work hard afterwards, some get paid because there was a dearth of talent at a certain position in FA. 

It happens all the time.  Every team has its own Baker, Tru or Freeman situation where they maybe didn't want to pay a certain salary but that's what it would have taken to avoid turning a strength or solid piece into a hole.

k-train likes this

1 hour ago, k-train said:

Per Overthecap.com, who are estimating based on cap growth this year & then all of the usually parameters for figuring out franchise tag amounts on top of that it'll be about $13.146M in 2019.
https://overthecap.com/franchise-transition-and-rfa-tenders/

Per Profootballrumors.com, who are estimating based on a projected 190M overall cap in 2019, it'll be $13.939M.
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/12/looking-ahead-to-2019-franchise-tags

We'll know for sure once they've announced the cap number for 2019 after the Super Bowl, but so far it seems like $13-$14M is possible with something between $13.5M-$14.5M being likely.

OTC has the Defensive Tackle cap going down with Aaron Donald signing the biggest defensive contract in history?  Interesting.

I don't think the DT cap number is going down.  I think it's bad if the Falcons have to use it either way.  No player likes to be franchised.

It's nice to see a 5th round pick by the Falcons turn into such a great player. Add to that his dad being an Atlanta Falcon for his entire career and being such a great player as well. A feel good story for sure. Pay the man!

58 minutes ago, Peyton said:

OTC has the Defensive Tackle cap going down with Aaron Donald signing the biggest defensive contract in history?  Interesting.

I don't think the DT cap number is going down.  I think it's bad if the Falcons have to use it either way.  No player likes to be franchised.

Yeah, I thought that the OTC number seemed a bit too low as well. However, if the tag is calculated by the average of the top 5 total cash salaries per position for that specific year (rather than the average salary over the life of the contracts), it actually almost makes sense... even with Donald's deal factored in since he's only got a $9.1M base salary in 2019 & is 12th in total cash for 2019.

As it stands, 2019 base salaries for DTs are:
1. Gerald McCoy $13M
2. Malik Jackson $13M
3. Kawann Short $12.5M
4. Timmy Jernigan $11M
5. Jurrell Casey $10.5M

2019 total cash salaries for DTs are:
1. Fletcher Cox $15.6M
2. Gerald McCoy $13M
3. Malik Jackson $13M
4. Kawann Short $13M
5. Geno Atkins $12M

Using total cash for 2019, the average of the top 5 is $13.32M. Add 7% to adjust for estimated cap growth in 2019 & that comes to $14.25M