Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ryantlanta

Grady Jarret Ranked 4th Best 2019 Free Agent

30 posts in this topic

Lots of interesting options on that list. I wouldn’t mind taking a shot at a 2nd tier defensive lineman.

Most of the young talent, if not all, from that list won’t see FA.

i just see Kwon alexander as a Falcon next season for some reason. Wouldn’t mind him, KJ Wright or Daryl williams getting looks, when considering guys who could possibly hit open market. 

Emmitt and Upstate NY Falcon like this

I wish our coaching was good enough so that we didn't have to pay out these massive contracts. Of all the things you can attribute to Bill Bs greatness, his ability to let guys go before paying massive contracts and not missing a beat is impressive.

He is going to get paid whether we like it our not. His lawyers pulled a smart move now he is going to get a shade under A. Donald money. It could wreck our chances of getting a top OG Free Agent. But we have to give it up

13 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

He is going to get paid whether we like it our not. His lawyers pulled a smart move now he is going to get a shade under A. Donald money. It could wreck our chances of getting a top OG Free Agent. But we have to give it up

I’d honestly pass at anything over $17,000,000/year.  And I love GJ and want him retained

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I’d honestly pass at anything over $17,000,000/year.  And I love GJ and want him retained

The projected Franchise Tag amount for DT in 2019 is just over $13M.

So if they're asking for $17M/year, I'd imagine we would tag him & spend a year trying to get a more reasonable deal worked out.

What some guys need to understand is that part of contracts are what is market value, another big part is paying for potential.  You do this to avoid contract holdouts and disgruntled players in the locker room.  Grady might not be worth 15-17 a year at this moment but he has improved every year and is ascending into elite status.  You have to pay for what he is going to become or hope to become.

That said....we MUST resign him asap so we can be ready to strike once FA gets here.  Same deal as Jake Matthews makes since to me, Grady is a fighter and he doenst strike me as the guy to get paid and then get fat. 13-15 mill per year sounds reasonable but if Jake is worth 15 million...Grady is worth as much or more. 

In today's NFL, I just don't see paying a DT that much money.  The Rams have maybe the 2 best DTs in the league and they struggled against the run all season.  They also only ranked 15th in sacks.

Put as much money as you can into the O-line and get some 2nd tier free agents or draft picks for D-line.  With a great O-line, you can light up the scoreboard AND get the tough 3rd/4th and 1 to eat the clock or put a team away.

Falconsin2012 likes this

19 hours ago, Gold4425 said:

Tag him for 13m

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

Grady will either get a contact or tagged for similar money.  I'm more concerned with who is next to him.  That is the real dilemma.

P.S.  I think TD will offer him a 3-4 year deal (2021 looming) for the same yearly figure as the tag.  Grady will have to choose to bet on himself (and hope he doesn't get injured) and eat the tag with no security beyond 2019 or take the deal and be set for the potential lockout.

Edited by Monolith2001

5 hours ago, aer2033 said:

In today's NFL, I just don't see paying a DT that much money.  The Rams have maybe the 2 best DTs in the league and they struggled against the run all season.  They also only ranked 15th in sacks.

Put as much money as you can into the O-line and get some 2nd tier free agents or draft picks for D-line.  With a great O-line, you can light up the scoreboard AND get the tough 3rd/4th and 1 to eat the clock or put a team away.

It’s not a popular opinion, but you are not necessarily wrong. 

Consider: this years NE Patriots have 10 players on their DL and their combined CAP hit is just over $17,000,000.  In 2017 they had 12 Defensive Lineman whose combined CAP was  just $12,000,000.  

Edited by Falconsin2012

It begs the question: is any player worth huge money or where's the line when it detracts from the team? Franchise QB's are vital but there comes a tipping point.

I always wondered if Brady would have demanded biggest contract possible, would Belichick have cut bait?

14 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Tag him for 13m

The tag was 13.9 mil last year and it's going to be quite a bit higher than that this year, but the tag is probably what is going to happen.

That'll probably mean 2019 is Grady's last year in Atlanta.

24 minutes ago, Peyton said:

The tag was 13.9 mil last year and it's going to be quite a bit higher than that this year, but the tag is probably what is going to happen.

That'll probably mean 2019 is Grady's last year in Atlanta.

Per Overthecap.com, who are estimating based on cap growth this year & then all of the usually parameters for figuring out franchise tag amounts on top of that it'll be about $13.146M in 2019.
https://overthecap.com/franchise-transition-and-rfa-tenders/

Per Profootballrumors.com, who are estimating based on a projected 190M overall cap in 2019, it'll be $13.939M.
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/12/looking-ahead-to-2019-franchise-tags

We'll know for sure once they've announced the cap number for 2019 after the Super Bowl, but so far it seems like $13-$14M is possible with something between $13.5M-$14.5M being likely.

Donald is special.  The difference from him getting the 20 mill a year contract as opposed to when Suh got similar from Miami is that Donald is double digit sacks yearly from the DT position. He almost cant be blocked at times.  Grady is a young stud on the rise.  I think each team's situation is different.  Donald is in a tough spot if J. Goff's contract was up at the same time as his.  Its very easy to pay K. Mack and Donald when you have QBs on rookie salaries.

Grady deserves a payday.  How much? Market value.  Cant be mad at anything around that.  You don't just move on from good players because they cost.  No team ever won like that.