MSalmon

Who has been on this Message Board the longest?

314 posts in this topic

My understanding with Price was Reeves didn’t want him but Blank did. Blank learned to stay out of player acquisition decisions afte that blew up in his face.

Reeves indicated as much without coming out and saying it directly in an interview a few years after he left.

3 minutes ago, gazoo said:

My understanding with Price was Reeves didn’t want him but Blank did. Blank learned to stay out of player acquisition decisions afte that blew up in his face.

Reeves indicated as much without coming out and saying it directly in an interview a few years after he left.

I have trouble believing that just because Blank wasn't even around when Reeves traded a 1st to draft TE Reggie Kelly. Reeves the GM was horrible!! Downright horrendous!! The ill fated Tony Martin trade after the 1998 season because Martin got into a little off field trouble and then the charges were eventually dropped. Reeves tried to fix it by getting Martin back in 2000 but the magic was long gone by then. The Michael Booker 1st round pick experiment. Thinking Ken Oxendine and Byron Hanspard were quality backup running backs to have on the roster in case something happened to Jamal. The Doug Johnson/Kurt Kittner terrible back QB situation. The 44 year old Steve DeBerg backup QB to Chandler in 1998. Cutting Chuck Smith loose and letting him go to the rival Panthers. I could go on and on but I won't because it's just depressing how bad he was as GM.

18 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Under  there were only two WRs  drafted in first round. One in 11 (Julio) and Ridley in 18. That’s not a ton of picjsvlike you make it out to be.?Roddy and Jenkins we’re first rounders under McKay in 04 and  05. 

Beyond that not many picks were used on wrs and none above third round. What HD and Hardy? Kerry Meir?

plus for all the shiny ornament biatchin id say over 10k yds from roddy, over 10k and counting for JJ, Ridleys rookie record of 10 TDs all go to show we got dam good football players. Even Jenkins was a six year falcon and close to 5k yds. So not a loss.

So in more modern falcon time under TD we have had a grand total of what 2 first round shiny ornaments drafted 7 years apart?

now how many first round picks did we use on defense since TD took over. Jerry, Spoon, Trufant, Beasley, Takk, and a ton of high picks. Not exactly shiny ornaments.

yiu do the math but you’ll find the majority of our picks both when Smitty was coach and other DQ have been defenses. Lots of defensive players drafted. So shiny ornaments? I just don’t see it

What round pick did Rich McKay trade to get Ashlie Lelie? Falcons could have had him all along but instead drafted T.J. Duckett, who outside of being able to score TD's in the red zone wasn't much use.

4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I have trouble believing that just because Blank wasn't even around when Reeves traded a 1st to draft TE Reggie Kelly. Reeves the GM was horrible!! Downright horrendous!! The ill fated Tony Martin trade after the 1998 season because Martin got into a little off field trouble and then the charges were eventually dropped. Reeves tried to fix it by getting Martin back in 2000 but the magic was long gone by then. The Michael Booker 1st round pick experiment. Thinking Ken Oxendine and Byron Hanspard were quality backup running backs to have on the roster in case something happened to Jamal. The Doug Johnson/Kurt Kittner terrible back QB situation. The 44 year old Steve DeBerg backup QB to Chandler in 1998. Cutting Chuck Smith loose and letting him go to the rival Panthers. I could go on and on but I won't because it's just depressing how bad he was as GM.

I agree Reeves was a horrible GM. Great coach, terrible player acquistion.

But Blank wasn’t a good player evaluator either. 

kenk and robertap like this

1 minute ago, gazoo said:

I agree Reeves was a horrible GM. Great coach, terrible player acquistion.

But Blank wasn’t a good player evaluator either. 

No Blank wasn't. But it's nice that Blank learned from his mistakes and stop meddling and started letting the football people do the football stuff when he hired TD and Smitty in 2008. The way Blank has handled things since 2008 has been completely different from the way he did it 2002-2007 where he was out there wheeling Vick around the field. That was, ugh. That just gives me all sorts of bad feelings about it because no owner should ever get that involved with players because it completely clouds their judgement and it severely clouded Vick's. Worst thing Blank did was fire Reeves. What should have happened was him forcing Reeves to give up GM duties. Until Vick got with Andy Reid his best work as a player was with Reeves because Reeves would ride his *** and make hold him accountable. Mora didn't do that. I'll never forget how Mora said that it didn't matter if Vick ran the play the way it was called or not, "just run!!" What coach gives his QB permission to just go out there and play backyard street ball while the rest of the team is trying to run a very carefully crafted play?

gazoo and robertap like this

6 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

No Blank wasn't. But it's nice that Blank learned from his mistakes and stop meddling and started letting the football people do the football stuff when he hired TD and Smitty in 2008. The way Blank has handled things since 2008 has been completely different from the way he did it 2002-2007 where he was out there wheeling Vick around the field. That was, ugh. That just gives me all sorts of bad feelings about it because no owner should ever get that involved with players because it completely clouds their judgement and it severely clouded Vick's. Worst thing Blank did was fire Reeves. What should have happened was him forcing Reeves to give up GM duties. Until Vick got with Andy Reid his best work as a player was with Reeves because Reeves would ride his *** and make hold him accountable. Mora didn't do that. I'll never forget how Mora said that it didn't matter if Vick ran the play the way it was called or not, "just run!!" What coach gives his QB permission to just go out there and play backyard street ball while the rest of the team is trying to run a very carefully crafted play?

Yep, Blank had a learning curve but he did learn, thank God. He definitely meddled in areas he shouldn’t have but he learned.  Reeves did hold Vick more accountable than Mora. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

Under  there were only two WRs  drafted in first round. One in 11 (Julio) and Ridley in 18. That’s not a ton of picjsvlike you make it out to be.?Roddy and Jenkins we’re first rounders under McKay in 04 and  05. 

"Under  there were only two WRs  drafted in first round."  - Important piece of info missing there.

Blank was the owner when McKay was around.  I said, "Blank is all about shiny hood ornaments."  Blank has been here for 17 years now...  Over those 17 years, we've spent 6 first round picks on WR's.  (Price, Jenkins, White, Julio (x2), Ridley)  That's a lot of high draft picks for shiny hood ornaments.

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

No Blank wasn't. But it's nice that Blank learned from his mistakes and stop meddling and started letting the football people do the football stuff when he hired TD and Smitty in 2008.

I think that the issue with Blank continues, though it's much less obvious now.  I think that the Falcons have a standing MO of acquiring players who make for, "exciting football."  This is why we have dedicated so many resources to WR's over the years.  (And have been apathetic about the OL)  

You are right in that we have invested far more in the defense, but a lot of that was completely blown drafts.  (Remember when we drafted 4 LB's in 2014, none of which lasted 2 years...)  FYI, we've spent 48 picks on defense and 31 on offense since TD has been in charge.  With that much investment in defense, it's kind of embarrassing how bad our defenses have been.  :(

8 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I agree with everything you say here except the 44 year old Steve Deberg.  He was old yes, but he was called in just to back up Chandler, he wasn't half bad for someone that hadn't played in a while. He lost the only game he started, but statistically, he wasn't bad at all. 

23 hours ago, MSalmon said:

What was your old name? I’m assuming you remember me from way back then.

i ageee Vick was the launching point fit the mb

My old name was a combination of letters (that spelled a word) and 375 Ranger.  

I do remember you.  Matter of fact, I might have dapped you up at a MB get together outside of the dome!  Because I was already tailgating with my family and normal crew, I spoke to a few people and kept it moving.

55 minutes ago, Andrews_31 said:

My old name was a combination of letters (that spelled a word) and 375 Ranger.  

I do remember you.  Matter of fact, I might have dapped you up at a MB get together outside of the dome!  Because I was already tailgating with my family and normal crew, I spoke to a few people and kept it moving.

Ha ha maybe. It’d be cool to meet all the old farts again. I was 28 when I started on this forum . I’m 48 now!

5 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I agree with everything you say here except the 44 year old Steve Deberg.  He was old yes, but he was called in just to back up Chandler, he wasn't half bad for someone that hadn't played in a while. He lost the only game he started, but statistically, he wasn't bad at all. 

Wasn't that bad? The Falcons lost the game he started that year 28-3 against the Jets. Now granted the Jets were good that year (made it to the AFCCG) but still. 28-3? I don't care what his stats were, fact is the offense scored only 3 points.

53 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Wasn't that bad? The Falcons lost the game he started that year 28-3 against the Jets. Now granted the Jets were good that year (made it to the AFCCG) but still. 28-3? I don't care what his stats were, fact is the offense scored only 3 points.

I said he lost it.  And if I remember right, he came in and won one for us. Check his stats out that season, they wern't all that bad for a backup. 

24 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I said he lost it.  And if I remember right, he came in and won one for us. Check his stats out that season, they wern't all that bad for a backup. 

Go back to that Jets game that he lost. 9/20 (45.0%), 117 YDS, 0 TD, 1 INT. Yes, his overall stats for the season were decent, and you're right, the week before against the Saints he came in and helped win the game after Chandler went out.

But you are completely missing the point. I wasn't saying Steve DeBerg was a bad QB to have as backup. The point was why in the world did we have a 44 year old backup QB who hadn't played in the NFL in 5 games on the roster in the 1st place? That's the point. Dan Reeves back up plan at QB and RB were complete disasters throughout his entire time with the Falcons showing just how bad he was as GM.