Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Monolith2001

Khalen Saunders 320-lb DT...does backflips.

48 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

:lol::lol::lol:

I've seen that to many times to count....

One of my favorites is...when a guy is getting some shine in the media

" I been telling people about him... he's been in my mocks all year"

:rolleyes:

exactly lol. my man gets it

16 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Athleticism is so overhyped. Dion Jordan was popping backflips too. Look at how successful his career has been. The only plus that’s comes from athleticism in most cases, especially with big guys, is that it shows they can move. Other than that it doesn’t mean **** when it comes to playing football

this^^^

21 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Athleticism is so overhyped. Dion Jordan was popping backflips too. Look at how successful his career has been. The only plus that’s comes from athleticism in most cases, especially with big guys, is that it shows they can move. Other than that it doesn’t mean **** when it comes to playing football

Remember when safety Darren stone was jumping over cars length wise?:lol:

ya_boi_j likes this

Watching the tape, I love his ability to disengage from blocks... but competition level has to be taken into account.   Aside from that, dude seems slow and plodding otherwise.   Might be worth a late round pick as a potential depth/practice squad guy to develop... but the video comparing him to Donald is kind of absurd in my opinion.  

Monolith2001 likes this

11 hours ago, pa_falcon_fan said:

Watching the tape, I love his ability to disengage from blocks... but competition level has to be taken into account.   Aside from that, dude seems slow and plodding otherwise.   Might be worth a late round pick as a potential depth/practice squad guy to develop... but the video comparing him to Donald is kind of absurd in my opinion.  

Slow and plodding? It’s no way you watched that video and seen that.... and besides the creator of the video is not necessarily comparing him to Aaron Donald. He is saying the kid is the Aaron Donald of the FCS.

Monolith2001 likes this

12 hours ago, pa_falcon_fan said:

He has hustle so not sure I see the slow/plodding but he isn't going to be chasing down a lot of runs from the backside (like most NTs). I would love to grab this guy on day 3.  While the drive-by's seem to be still stuck on debunking backflips and athleticism, I watched more film and see why he was an NFL prospect before the attention video.   I think he compares favorably to Javon Hargrave.  Dude seems comfy lining up anywhere on the line and he never quits (can look tired at times but does not quit)

On 1/16/2019 at 2:23 PM, FalconFanSince1969 said:

It does show that he has explosive traits tho.... Obviously It has no practical football applications. 

Remember that same for JPP. He turned out ok. 

First backflip doesn’t really show “explosiveness”. More of the properties of kinetic energy. He used the momentum of him moving forward and the cartwheel to generate enough kinetic energy to carry him through his backflip. 

Second backflip is a bit more difficult but he still needed to gather some kinetic energy to complete the maneuver. His legs are staggered and he does a backwards hopping motion to gather enough kinetic energy to complete the flip. 

Don’t get me wrong this is still pretty impressive due to his size but this isn’t an indicator of “explosiveness”. More impressed by his ability to semi-stick the landing without stumbling or falling. Which is difficult to do with that type of mass moving at that velocity. 

Performance at Senior Bowl:  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-senior-bowl-khalen-saunders-renell-wren-shine-on-tuesday-daniel-jones-drew-lock-have-mixed-showing/

"Khalen Saunders, the man with a YouTube highlight reel titled "The Aaron Donald of the FCS" -- which I must say, truly isn't drastic hyperbole -- made a fantastic first impression with the hundreds of evaluators inside Ladd-Peebles Stadium. Oh, and he ended practice by back flipping in front of the entire team, which drew a raucous celebration.

Early in a one-on-one rep against Beau Benzschawel, the Western Illinois superstar put the Wisconsin All-American on skates with a forceful bull rush.

Against another Badgers blocker, Michael Deiter, Saunders demonstrated the polish to his game by spinning out of his grasp at the end of the rep. In 11-on-11, Saunders repeatedly won with an explosive first step to move into the backfield on run plays, and he finished with a would-be sack of Penn State's Trace McSorley on a quick move to the inside in team drills.

For Saunders to be as dynamic of a mover off the snap as he is at 320 pounds is impressive. For him to be comfortable utilizing his hands to beat offensive linemen when his acceleration can't is what could get him drafted in the second round."

With his stock rising, he may be unobtainable (sigh).  He decided to do his signature backflip while there (captured in Slo Mo)...real crowd pleaser.

0,,~17114856,00.jpeg

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap3000001012737/Watch-Khalen-Saunders-signature-backflip-in-slow-motion

Interview:  Had a kid while there.  

Edited by Monolith2001
Dutty Ole Bird likes this

JPP did this years ago when he was an unknown USF defensive end. He did a bunch in a row. Did work out pretty well for him. 

He’s looked good in the drills has a low CoG a lot of power and has shown very well against Div 1 olineman in fact he’s been whipping arse for the most part the last 3 days.

Chris Lindstrom who seems to be the best G going at these above mentioned had a lot of trouble trying to stop backflip.Im thinking this small school kid could be legit.

Monolith2001 likes this

11 minutes ago, osiruz said:

I will have to say he impressed me a **** ton at the senior bowl. I wouldn't mind him in the 4th round.

Yeah that's where I saw him but doubtful he gets there with all the press and while I really like him, he becomes a risky get on day 2 imo.  I could talk myself into round 3.  Round 2 is a bit rich for me.

On 1/16/2019 at 4:17 PM, Monolith2001 said:

While poking around for late round/UDFA QBs,  I was watching Easton Stick and this DT popped out at me giving NDSU a lot to handle.   It appears the young man is making headlines today by demonstrating that he can do backflips at 320 lbs.  I imagine he will be on radars now.  Not sure I would risk much given the level of competition but young man just raised his stock with this trick.  Sorry if the twitter link doesn't format.

:lol: at Saunders response....

Monolith2001 likes this

On 1/16/2019 at 4:20 PM, osiruz said:

Don't care for backflips, I remember several yt videos of margus hunt doing amazing crap, and a dt jumping out of the pool. The question is can he play and what does his tape look like?

I remember the dude jumping out of the pool.  I was left unimpressed and promptly downed a bourbon & coke and marched out back to my pool.  Went to the shallow end, took a deep breath and jumped for all I’m worth.

Without going into detail, I barely got my left kneecap out of the water.  Decided I was a better drinker than athlete, had another drink and am now impressed with the dude who jumped out of the pool.  Still doesn’t mean he was an NFL athlete...and he wasn’t.   But he will always have the pool

Edited by Falconsin2012

32 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I remember the dude jumping out of the pool.  I was left unimpressed and promptly downed a bourbon & coke and marched out back to my pool.  Went to the shallow end, took a deep breath and jumped for all I’m worth.

Without going into details, I barely got my left kneecap out of the water.  Decided I was a better drinker than athlete, had another drink and am now impressed with the dude who jumped out of the pool.  Still doesn’t mean he was an NFL athlete...and he wasn’t.   But he will always have the pool

:lol:,

I will have to say I am very impressed with Khalen Saunders. He has looked like a serious force. He would make a darn good NT.

Falconsin2012 likes this