SacFalcFan

Amazing the affect that Kirby had on Saban's moves this past offseason.

18 posts in this topic

Alabama lost their #1 recruiting ranking for the 1st time in what 7 years depending on the service last year.  Saban which ,according to bama insiders, was completely stunned by how much the early signing period hurt bama and how unprepared they were.  Also Saban had no clue that Kirby and his staff would beat them head to head on so many players.  Saban knew he had to make changes to counteract what kirby was doing in athens so he decided to go even younger on his hires and go after recruit first only guys.  So he picked up Gattis from penn state who is a recruit first guy (good coach as well, but he is a stud recruiter) and then go after jeff banks from a&m.  A recruit first guy as well.  To add another stud recruiter he adds jeff golding who has some dc experience, but not at any major programs.  Instead of losing Lupoi who is all about being an elite recruiter and he is instead promoted to codc without any previous dc experience.  Karl Scott was another recruiting hire.  Almost all of the moves were recruiting hires or promotions primarily.  

We see bama this year in their biggest games struggled.  At UGA they were down by 2 touchdowns until Hurts came and saved the day and in the national title game they were curb stomped 44 to 16.  The interesting part of that game was saban's halftime comments that they were doing the same stuff previously done to slow down or score on bama and it was stuff bama didn't prepare for.  A number of things were done by UGA in the SEC title game and bama didn't prepare for those at all.  That alabama team was woefully unprepared for the national title game.  That is very uncharteristic of a Nick Saban coached team.  Nick Saban did a poor job in his staff hiring/promotions last year which hurt them when it came to preparing for their biggest games.  So now you see mass exodus of coaches and per aaron suttles a few more guys will be gone as well.  Dline coach and lupoi are the 2 that are likely to be gone after NSD. It will be interesting to see what saban does with this new round of hires.  Will he focus on getting coaches who are great coaches and good recruiters or will he again sacrifice coaching for recruiting ability?  I think the issue of having a team so poor prepared for their biggest game of the year may very well affect his hires.  The recruiting part worked for sure with bama back on top (well it helped also that they missed out on so many guys last year that they can sign up to 30 players), but it ultimately hurt them in winning a national title.  

If Lupoi and others are gonna leave,  why would they wait until after NSD?   Something on their contract or some side agreement with Saban?

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

If Lupoi and others are gonna leave,  why would they wait until after NSD?   Something on their contract or some side agreement with Saban?

recruiting.. don't want kids to decommit and go elsewhere.. they are after sosopher 5 star dt.. if either leaves it will hurt them with him. 

I've seen it floated elsewhere as well that more coaches are leaving...seems like to me with what all is going on, Saban might be loading up for one final run, not going to predict his retirement after 2019, but I think it'll be somewhere in 4 years, maybe after the 4th year.

6 minutes ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

I've seen it floated elsewhere as well that more coaches are leaving...seems like to me with what all is going on, Saban might be loading up for one final run, not going to predict his retirement after 2019, but I think it'll be somewhere in 4 years, maybe after the 4th year.

Agreed. 

46 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

recruiting.. don't want kids to decommit and go elsewhere.. they are after sosopher 5 star dt.. if either leaves it will hurt them with him. 

That makes sense but there really are no secrets anymore with social media and the inter webs.  I mean if Lupoi leaving is on every messageboard, it seems ridiculous to believe the kids don’t know.  

52 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

That makes sense but there really are no secrets anymore with social media and the inter webs.  I mean if Lupoi leaving is on every messageboard, it seems ridiculous to believe the kids don’t know.  

You'd be surprised tbh. A lot of the athletes in highschool and college I've talked to don't really follow the sport. 

g-dawg likes this

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

well it seems that lupoi ticked off saban and he decided to get rid of him earlier.  lupoi isn't a very good coach so it will be interesting to see if he does accept an nfl job.  his only strength is his recruiting ability.  regarding recruits and families you would be very surprised how little they follow rumors and stuff online.  

4 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

well it seems that lupoi ticked off saban and he decided to get rid of him earlier.  lupoi isn't a very good coach so it will be interesting to see if he does accept an nfl job.  his only strength is his recruiting ability.  regarding recruits and families you would be very surprised how little they follow rumors and stuff online.  

So I take it you don’t like Lupoi for our Dawgs? :)

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

So I take it you don’t like Lupoi for our Dawgs? :)

i am split on him actually..  he is an elite recruiter.. lupoi would be a hired gun for recruiting.  not a fan of him as a coach. 

I think Alabama's run as king of college football is over. Something behind the scenes is happening that we don't know about because there is mass exodus of players and coaches right now. This wouldn't be happening if there wasn't something major happening behind closed doors. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if we start to get the Nick Saban retirement rumor pretty soon, maybe 2019 is his last year?

sdogg likes this

2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

i am split on him actually..  he is an elita recruiter.. lupoi would be a hired gun for recruiting.  not a fan of him as a coach. 

Is he really a bad coach? I understand he probably isn’t a good coordinator, a lot of guys just don’t have that ability especially at a high level. Bama has pumped out some great OLBs and pass rushers since he has been there though, which has been his coaching area if I’m not mistaken. I understand they have recruited better than anyone but still, they’ve had pretty consistent success in that area. 

I really don’t know how he is as a coach, I just never had the idea that he was a poor coach. His strength would definitely seem to be in recruiting though, he’s elite there.

I think a lot of these young assistant coaches in college see the move as assistant in NFL as resume builder as it gives you a “two way go” to get the pro experience and either come back to college as HC or move up in the NFL.

We saw it with Ansley and now with Lupoi.   Also, probably fun for those guys to get a break from the 24/7/365 of recruiting for a year or two.

20 minutes ago, Carter said:

Is he really a bad coach? I understand he probably isn’t a good coordinator, a lot of guys just don’t have that ability especially at a high level. Bama has pumped out some great OLBs and pass rushers since he has been there though, which has been his coaching area if I’m not mistaken. I understand they have recruited better than anyone but still, they’ve had pretty consistent success in that area. 

I really don’t know how he is as a coach, I just never had the idea that he was a poor coach. His strength would definitely seem to be in recruiting though, he’s elite there.

lupoi was brought in to be that elite recruiter which he did a terrific job of.  he isn't a horrible coach, but i have been told from multiple bammer guys who know a lot more than i do about their staff that he is at best a decent coach.  the results have more to do with the elite talent he is bringing is than it does his individual coaching.  he was brought in as a hired gun and was given the codc title because he is just that great in recruiting.  i would say he might be the best recruiter in the nation.  his work at cal showed that. 

2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I think Alabama's run as king of college football is over. Something behind the scenes is happening that we don't know about because there is mass exodus of players and coaches right now. This wouldn't be happening if there wasn't something major happening behind closed doors. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if we start to get the Nick Saban retirement rumor pretty soon, maybe 2019 is his last year?

yep it is over.. there are some major issues right now at Alabama.  you don't have that mass exodus of players and coaches at one time if you don't have some major problems.   the writing is on the wall regarding nick saban and his short future.  

50 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

yep it is over.. there are some major issues right now at Alabama.  you don't have that mass exodus of players and coaches at one time if you don't have some major problems.   the writing is on the wall regarding nick saban and his short future.  

I think this is incredibly naive and probably a bit of wishful thinking Sac. Regardless of the coaching issues they had last year, the fact remains their last 4 recruiting classes are ranked 1, 1, 2, and 1. With that talent they aren't going anywhere anytime soon, I'm afraid. It seems Saban actually recognized the problem and is cleaning house to nip it in the bud before it festered into something worse. 

But I do think if Saban wins one more championship and takes the lead over Bear, then he might get serious about retiring in the near future. Pretty sure he's still driven to get that one more ring so he can claim the throne of undisputed greatest college coach of all time before he hangs it up. 

EDIT: and apparently Time Watts just dropped a story the what and why of the issues that went on with the coaching carousel for Bama this past season. I don't have access, but the Bama guys on the Rant say it's very detailed. 

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Board/116/Contents/-Coaching-nuggets-127944471/

Edited by RandomFan