HolyMoses

My Son Has a School Trip to New Orleans This Weekend, I Just Spent $40 to Make It Bearable:

56 posts in this topic

Tell him to eat at Smitty's by Esplanade, and Deanie's in the Quarter or in Bucktown.

If he's got the cash handy, also tell him to eat at Galatoire's in the Quarter.

There are more typical touristy places (Mother's, Commander's Palace, Cafe Du Monde), but the first two I mentioned are outstanding food at great prices.  The third is outstanding food at sell-your-own-blood prices.

New Orleans

I-85 South

I-65 South

I-10 West

That simple, well... for those who are coming from Georgia.

Just now, JDaveG said:

Tell him to eat at Smitty's by Esplanade, and Deanie's in the Quarter or in Bucktown.

There are more typical touristy places (Mother's, Commander's Palace, Cafe Du Monde), but the first two I mentioned are outstanding food at great prices.  The third is outstanding food at sell-your-own-blood prices.

Thought you would appreciate this:

So, I won an ebay auction for a Diggs Jersey and I have to kick in extra to get it here before my son leaves Friday morning. Here's part of the exchange with the seller:

ME: Yes, I still want it. I appreciate how pathetic it is for a non Vikings fan to spend $40 or so to troll Saints Fans. But we are Falcons Fans. It's all we've got. Thanks for the extra steps.

Seller: Lol no problem I understand completely im a Miami dolphins fan so i would love to troll any pats fans if i had the chance

Me: You have two Lombardi's. We have an arrest for solicitation and "28-3"  You can't possibly understand.

4 minutes ago, HolyMoses said:

Thought you would appreciate this:

So, I won an ebay auction for a Diggs Jersey and I have to kick in extra to get it here before my son leaves Friday morning. Here's part of the exchange with the seller:

ME: Yes, I still want it. I appreciate how pathetic it is for a non Vikings fan to spend $40 or so to troll Saints Fans. But we are Falcons Fans. It's all we've got. Thanks for the extra steps.

Seller: Lol no problem I understand completely im a Miami dolphins fan so i would love to troll any pats fans if i had the chance

Me: You have two Lombardi's. We have an arrest for solicitation and "28-3"  You can't possibly understand.

:lol:

Also, mqg96's post reminded me -- tell him to eat at Mittendorf's across the lake if he goes up I-55.  They have some of the best catfish he'll ever eat (Deanie's does too, but their etoufee is better).

So if any of you ever want to know where to get the best local food for the right prices, I got that. I've experienced plenty of the establishments in the greater New Orleans area.

There are many great places and many tourist traps in and near the French Quarter, so beware. The tourist traps don't make it elsewhere in the city.

RING OF HONOR, HolyMoses and JDaveG like this

49 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

New Orleans

I-85 South

I-65 South

I-10 West

Airplanes are even better

9 minutes ago, AtlantaFanatic said:

Airplanes are even better

It depends on the person, places like Seattle, LA, New York, or El Paso then of course you have to go for the plane ride, but any place no longer than Ohio (north), Miami (south), or Houston (west) I can drive there. Sometimes planes will make my ears or head explode in pain. I know other people who get car sick from riding in the back too long. It varies from person to person. The worst part of the plane ride is the last 20 minutes before takeoff, I can't stand that ****. 

3 hours ago, Porkins said:

I was in New Orleans last weekend and there were literally more Eagles jerseys and clothing out on the streets in the French Quarter than there were Saints. It was really, really weird. One dude even had an Eagles Sproles jersey.. friend I was with pointed it out and said "man, that's just COLD." To the locals credit, nobody seemed to be giving any of the Eagles people any grief whatsoever.

Locals don't go down to the Quarter if they can avoid it. 

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Mother's was ok....I had the catfish and red beans and rice....and some fried shrimp...it didn't have that spice I was looking for....but wasn't bad....I need some authentic places....on the outskirts

53 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

It depends on the person, places like Seattle, LA, New York, or El Paso then of course you have to go for the plane ride, but any place no longer than Ohio (north), Miami (south), or Houston (west) I can drive there. Sometimes planes will make my ears or head explode in pain. I know other people who get car sick from riding in the back too long. It varies from person to person. The worst part of the plane ride is the last 20 minutes before takeoff, I can't stand that ****. 

I've driven, taken the Amtrak train, and flown to NO so I'm versed in it. I actually don't mind road trips that much but NO is about as far as I can take before I go stir crazy. The train is interesting. It's not much cheaper than a flight and it's about the same amount of time as driving so that's bad but there's no strict security and airport hassle to deal with. Flights are really quick but I get it, airports and planes aren't for everyone.

mqg96 likes this

4 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

You know, I’ve actually heard that New Orleans isn’t a bad place and that the fans aren’t terrible in the super dome, but I’ll still never take a step into that city unless the Falcons are playing there. 

No joke, I went to New Orleans a few years ago and there was a bad sewage type smell.

5 minutes ago, AtlantaFanatic said:

Don't encourage him. lol

That's my brother from another mother....lol

He's just misunderstood...or folks just don't want to understand...

ya_boi_j likes this

41 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Mother's was ok....I had the catfish and red beans and rice....and some fried shrimp...it didn't have that spice I was looking for....but wasn't bad....I need some authentic places....on the outskirts

Here is the best guide you'll ever find for food in/around New Orleans. Tom Fitzmorris is a local foodie and has spent his life chasing restaurants. His ratings are pretty spot on. And he breaks the establishments down by what part of town you are in.

https://nomenu.com/41504-2/

If you want seriously good food where the locals go, and $25-45 won't frighten you, go to Clancy's. It's an old home just off Audubon Park near the river and you'll be glad you did. You'll need a reservation a few days in advance. Smart casual or even a sport coat is the dress code.

Another great place, but closer to the French Quarter is Restaurant August. Excellent food by John Besh. Smart casual or sport coat and expect to spend $25-45.

And finally, on the higher end of things, Demonico, just minutes from the city on St. Charles Ave. Steaks and seafood. Smart casual $20-45

If you want really good food (Seafood, Italian, plate dinners, poboys) in a neighborhood joint where you can enjoy a drink at the bar, then dinner in a very casual setting, head to Mandina's on Canal Street or Joey K's on Magazine Street. $10-$25. Both are extremely popular with the locals. 

If you want a terrific PoBoy in a place the locals eat in, head to Mahoney's on Magazine Street or Parkway Bakery on Hagen Ave. $8-15

If you want to eat oysters, then Casamento's on Magazine Street. It's ALL about the oyster here. $15-30 Casual dress for sure.

RING OF HONOR and HolyMoses like this

8 minutes ago, SaintRay said:

Here is the best guide you'll ever find for food in/around New Orleans. Tom Fitzmorris is a local foodie and has spent his life chasing restaurants. His ratings are pretty spot on. And he breaks the establishments down by what part of town you are in.

https://nomenu.com/41504-2/

If you want seriously good food where the locals go, and $25-45 won't frighten you, go to Clancy's. It's an old home just off Audubon Park near the river and you'll be glad you did. You'll need a reservation a few days in advance. Smart casual or even a sport coat is the dress code.

Another great place, but closer to the French Quarter is Restaurant August. Excellent food by John Besh. Smart casual or sport coat and expect to spend $25-45.

And finally, on the higher end of things, Demonico, just minutes from the city on St. Charles Ave. Steaks and seafood. Smart casual $20-45

If you want really good food (Seafood, Italian, plate dinners, poboys) in a neighborhood joint where you can enjoy a drink at the bar, then dinner in a very casual setting, head to Mandina's on Canal Street or Joey K's on Magazine Street. $10-$25. Both are extremely popular with the locals. 

If you want a terrific PoBoy in a place the locals eat in, head to Mahoney's on Magazine Street or Parkway Bakery on Hagen Ave. $8-15

If you want to eat oysters, then Casamento's on Magazine Street. It's ALL about the oyster here. $15-30 Casual dress for sure.

Wow dude....I really appreciate this...I just copied and pasted this to my notes....good stuff

Next time I'm down....I will reach out...drinks on me if you free... :tiphat:

Edited by RING OF HONOR
SaintRay likes this

45 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

That's my brother from another mother....lol

He's just misunderstood...or folks just don't want to understand...

Lol. Yeah. Me and J are always cutting up. He's ruthless on Twitter. 

RING OF HONOR likes this

5 hours ago, SaintRay said:

It's only dirty in the French Quarter for the most part, and that's because tourists love to lodge, drink and cut up, and the trash follows. Every night sweeper machines roll thru the streets of the Quarter and vacuum and power wash the streets and sidewalks, then it's rinse and repeat...

If you get on the outskirts of downtown in the University and Garden District, or in the the surrounding suburbs, its clean.

Most people don’t realize that while Mardis Gras is insane the week of Fat Tuesday, the actual party and theme is year round in the French Quarter.  Impossible to keep very clean. I was once charged $5 in the McDonalds to use the restroom...lol. Of course I declined and found the nearest dark alley.  Then headed to Cafe Dumonde...mmmmmm.  ******, not I have an itch for beignet.

14 minutes ago, AtlantaFanatic said:

Lol. Yeah. Me and J are always cutting up. He's ruthless on Twitter. 

Lol.....I'm probably the only one in the world without a Twitter account...I might have to look into it...

31 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Lol.....I'm probably the only one in the world without a Twitter account...I might have to look into it...

I just deleted mine for a while. Great way to get quick news and way better than FB but can get distracting and depressing just like any other form of social media

6 hours ago, SaintRay said:

That's because the locals aren't who are in the French Quarter, it's 80% tourists, 15% locals who work in the Quarter and 5% locals hanging out in the area.

Game day can change that a bit, but it's still heavily slanted toward tourists.

Thanks for saving me time on this response. Only 5% of our fans are hangin out downtown for games.

4 hours ago, mqg96 said:

New Orleans

I-85 South

I-65 South

I-10 West

Yep. Seven hours. Six if you're in a hurry.

I think we have a few TATFers ready to defect.

Happy trails my friends. Please don't come back.