Hurry_Up_And_Buy

This year looks like one of the best to trade down

40 posts in this topic

I'm sure I'm not the only one who see's this obviously. There is more line talent coming out this year than I've seen in long time. With Kyler Murray coming in the obvious run on potential franchise QBs from the early to mid 1st round is quite apparent as well. A lot of talent is gonna get pushed down and back and the only thing that could have made this sweeter is if we'd lost to Tampa and been able to trade down out of the Top 10. We can still do #14 justice tho. Still gonna be a lotta good lineman late in the first and early in the second. Just a thought. 

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Murray likely won't even be drafted..... He's playing baseball. He'd be a complete fool not to. 

How come?

Just now, TheDirtyWordII said:

How come?

Because you get the **** beat out of you in football. Baseball players make more to play an easier game on the body. Would you want your child to play football or baseball if he excelled at both? 

Just now, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Because you get the **** beat out of you in football. Baseball players make more to play an easier game on the body. Would you want your child to play football or baseball if he excelled at both? 

I think if you were talking any other position than QB, the logic holds.  He’s playing his cards smartly to get more guaranteed money from the A’s to stick with baseball, but I’d argue that reaching the pinnacle of that sport from where he is, is a longer journey than where he is in football.  Just the switch from aluminum to wood bats has killed many a promising career.

The money playing QB if you’re successful is skyrocketing and because of the rules changes in protecting them on the field, you’re seeing more and more play into their 40’s.

Yes...it’s a tougher game physically.  Baseball wins there...but everything else?  

In this country, if you have the potential to be a franchise quarterback, or play baseball...you become the franchise quarterback.  They are at an absolute premium, we're talking $$$$$ as opposed to maybe winding up being a 42-year old Gwinnett Striper.   

1 hour ago, Monolith2001 said:

Personally, that 162-game and travel schedule would be tougher on me than any hit I'd ever take in a football season.

Agreed. A baseball season is a grind in itself among other things.

From what I've heard all the targets that people on this board want will be at about 14 (minus Q. Williams).

Murray, I have heard, will be anywhere from the first to undrafted.  Personally, I don't think he goes undrafted, I see him more around the 5th round as someone could develop.

I'm open to trading down if it was with someone like the Raiders where we only move down like 10 spots and grab an early second. Otherwise grab our guy at 14, whether that's the RT or DE/DT.

I disagree with your talent statement. This draft is pretty weak outside of DL prospects. LBs have maybe 2-3 first round prospects. None of the CBs scream lock down potential to me. The safeties aren’t great. QBs have been well documented as weak. RB class is the weakest we’ve had since about 2014. WRs are decent, but not too amazing. TE class looks pretty good actually. And OL is definitely underwhelming. I think I’d be fine staying put and taking the best DL or OL available. 

21 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Say we trade down from #14 to #32. We only pick up a second rounder (#41). Not worth it. Free up some space and fix the holes in free agency and stop looking to solve all of our 2019 issues with rookies that will take 2-3 years to settle down.

That's not necessarily the way it would work.  It has to be where someone is willing to pay extra if there is a bidding war.  KC traded up to get the number 10 pick with BUF to get Mahomes and they gave up their FIRST #27, their THIRD #91, and following year's FIRST.  It is all about supply and demand.  If someone is willing to pay the price, usually giving up a first round pick will cost you another first and possibly others as well.  Take into account the Packers traded the number 14 last year to the Saints for the 27 overall, a fifth round pick AND their 2019 first round pick.  So bascially, anything is possible if someone wants to pony up the dough.

I'ma pump the brakes on any speculation of trading up, down, left, or right until we actually know what kind of players are available & when.. after the combine, pro days, etc.

I know it's the offseason & we're all bored, but getting that far ahead of ourselves at this point seems kinda silly.

6 hours ago, octoslash said:

In this country, if you have the potential to be a franchise quarterback, or play baseball...you become the franchise quarterback.  They are at an absolute premium, we're talking $$$$$ as opposed to maybe winding up being a 42-year old Gwinnett Striper.   

Even the best QB doesn’t get paid what a top baseball player does. Albert Puljols got like 10 yrs 300 million at the end of his career...And it’s all guaranteed!

seems like most think he is a first round pick, though I am sure interviews at combine will be huge for him! The guy must love football to make that his choice. Best of luck to him.

On the originL comment, not too sure I would trade down.

Having picks is good, but having talent is great. Not often Falcons are picking this high, capitalize on the draft position. I would even be fore moving up if the right guy is there. 

There are plenty of years to pick from 24-32.

On 1/15/2019 at 3:51 PM, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who see's this obviously. There is more line talent coming out this year than I've seen in long time. With Kyler Murray coming in the obvious run on potential franchise QBs from the early to mid 1st round is quite apparent as well. A lot of talent is gonna get pushed down and back and the only thing that could have made this sweeter is if we'd lost to Tampa and been able to trade down out of the Top 10. We can still do #14 justice tho. Still gonna be a lotta good lineman late in the first and early in the second. Just a thought. 

Did you make this same thread last year? 

6 hours ago, octoslash said:

How many 5'9'' franchise qbs are there tho? Even brees is almost 6' and he's an anomoly. 

His odds in football are not very good. 

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 4:22 PM, TheDirtyWordII said:

I think if you were talking any other position than QB, the logic holds.  He’s playing his cards smartly to get more guaranteed money from the A’s to stick with baseball, but I’d argue that reaching the pinnacle of that sport from where he is, is a longer journey than where he is in football.  Just the switch from aluminum to wood bats has killed many a promising career.

The money playing QB if you’re successful is skyrocketing and because of the rules changes in protecting them on the field, you’re seeing more and more play into their 40’s.

Yes...it’s a tougher game physically.  Baseball wins there...but everything else?  

Obviously if he believes in himself as a football player football is the right way to go.  Just manage to be a solid starting QB by year 4, and his second contract is $100 million + easy. 

It's a long climb to that kind of contract in baseball.