falcons007

Duds and Studs: FA RT pass blocking

46 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

We are definitely making important moves in FA and the Draft for OL.

Its just hard for me to call what they will do; top RT and budget OG? Or top OG and budget RT?

Then, figure out a first round starting caliber OL to battle with an incumbent at the remaining spot. No more than 1 rookie in other words and they must beat out the vet.

We might have no choice but to cut RS post-6/1. Can we get Ty back at a better rate than that and use other cap space on an OG?

Its either that or the OT route. Both would leave a rookie to get challenged.

Ty was serviceable, I think he is fall back option. Falcons are in the wrong year looking for an OT. Very thin draft and FA. 

Ergo Proxy and Osiruz like this

2 hours ago, falcons007 said:

This draft is very thin at Tackle, it may not be bad idea to sign Massie in FA and grab an OG.

Giants alooking at Cody Ford with the 6th pick i think.  I dont see them going QB this year.

falcons007 likes this

1 hour ago, Hokies&Falcons said:

Does anyone think that Schraeder might return to form, since he's only 30?  I realize that 30 isn't young, but one would think he'd have at least a couple more productive years left.  He really seemed to suffer a really rapid decline from 2017 to 2018.  Has anyone identified the reason as to why his production/ability fell off so much?  

hes off the juice..why else?

Osiruz, jazzyburrell and falcons007 like this

4 hours ago, RING OF HONOR said:

I'm assuming you're looking at FA RT because of our FART pass blocking...:ninja:

Good one.  I read the same thing and was ready to ask, what is FART pass blocking?  Seems like it would keep the DL at bay...well we don't have that either :lol:

RING OF HONOR and falcons007 like this

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Good one.  I read the same thing and was ready to ask, what is FART pass blocking?  Seems like it would keep the DL at bay...well we don't have that either :lol:

:lol:

falcons007 likes this

6 hours ago, RING OF HONOR said:

I'm assuming you're looking at FA RT because of our FART pass blocking...:ninja:

I just knew that was gonna say s**t blocking, which is the next thing after a fart......  :ninja:

RING OF HONOR and falcons007 like this

6 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Massie or bust. No rookie OLinemen. They usually struggle in year one and perhaps beyond.

Yall aint really serious about fixing this Oline. Hopefully Dimi is.

DQ wants to 'impose his will' on both sides of the ball.   Koetter likes to run inside ZBS more.  Mularkey -should- help us find more of a 'power run' game.   Our O line has been conditioning themselves to do a lot of running for outside ZBS style blocking.   If they train for more of a power run scheme....do we have any guys who would be better running that syle of run blocking?

With that in mind....between Fusco, Gono, Schraeder and Schweitzer, we -should- find one starting guard.  I think Fusco sticks around because he can play center.  Garland is, probably, gone.  Does the team think Sambraillo is worth re-signing?

TD and DQ will, probably, want to stress defense in the draft.....unless a highly rated O lineman falls into one of our picks in the 2nd or 3rd, which is doubtful.  I can see the Falcons signing  two FA's to fix the O line.   Then use some mid round picks to sign some developmental linemen.    Some very good OGs have been drafted in the fourth round.  

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

5 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Ty was serviceable, I think he is fall back option. Falcons are in the wrong year looking for an OT. Very thin draft and FA. 

I think it's awful at LT, but fine at RT. Lots of cool options. Feel more iffy at Guard tbh...most of my favorite guards are tackles that could move to guard.

falcons007 likes this

8 hours ago, egoprime II said:

DQ wants to 'impose his will' on both sides of the ball.   Koetter likes to run inside ZBS more.  Mularkey -should- help us find more of a 'power run' game.   Our O line has been conditioning themselves to do a lot of running for outside ZBS style blocking.   If they train for more of a power run scheme....do we have any guys who would be better running that syle of run blocking?

With that in mind....between Fusco, Gono, Schraeder and Schweitzer, we -should- find one starting guard.  I think Fusco sticks around because he can play center.  Garland is, probably, gone.  Does the team think Sambraillo is worth re-signing?

TD and DQ will, probably, want to stress defense in the draft.....unless a highly rated O lineman falls into one of our picks in the 2nd or 3rd, which is doubtful.  I can see the Falcons signing  two FA's to fix the O line.   Then use some mid round picks to sign some developmental linemen.    Some very good OGs have been drafted in the fourth round.  

Agree. Sign two FA OLinemen to be starters. Draft two developmental OLinemen in the mid rounds. I would keep Gono over ButtaFusco. Could probably develop at OG and OT in a zone or man system. Swipester, one of the new FAs and/or one of the draft picks should be able to swing at OG and OC. Draft defense with the top two picks. Pick the best two available DT, DE, LB or CB depending on what happens in free agency.

egoprime II likes this

16 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I think it's awful at LT, but fine at RT. Lots of cool options. Feel more iffy at Guard tbh...most of my favorite guards are tackles that could move to guard.

Will see even Cody Ford looks like an OG than a Tackle. 

Hope we get a high quality G or T in Fa this year, better not be one of those Walmart great value NFC west rejects or next season is toast.

23 hours ago, Hokies&Falcons said:

Does anyone think that Schraeder might return to form, since he's only 30?  I realize that 30 isn't young, but one would think he'd have at least a couple more productive years left.  He really seemed to suffer a really rapid decline from 2017 to 2018.  Has anyone identified the reason as to why his production/ability fell off so much?  

No, his form was never any good. He was Greg Hardy's wife before 2016 and downright unwatchable in 17/18. He had a lucky year and his flaws were masked by a dominant ground game.

On 1/15/2019 at 3:07 PM, falcons007 said:

Let’s look at the pass blocking  for some of the RT who are about to hit FA.how did Schraeder compare to them?

Sacks

Ryan Schaeder(RS): 7 sacks, Ranked 47, worst in NFL.

Ja’waun James(JWJ):  same as RS 

Jordan Mills(JM): 5, ranked 34th.

Bobby Massie (BM): 1 sack , ranked 4th best in NFL among all OT.

Pass Blocking Effeciency: 

RS: 96.4% ranked 37th.

JWJ: same as RS

Jotdan Mills: Same as RS. 

BM: 97.8%, ranked 8th best among all OT.

Total pass blocking failures:( Sacks+Hits+QB pressures):

RS: 33, ranked 32 among all Tackles.

JWJ: 26, ranked 18 among all tackles.

JM: 35, ranked 39. 

BM: 22, ranked 12th 

If Falcons go for Jordan Mills or James, it’s swapping one dud for another. Bobby Massie is the only guy in FA who performed at high level. And clearly better than RS. Get Massie or draft a RT.

All stats from Pfft. 

I'll say it again. Massie, and Saffold in F.A. Concentrate on DL in the draft.

On 1/15/2019 at 5:30 PM, Hokies&Falcons said:

If you look back, he hasn’t been the same since he suffered the concussion.

23 hours ago, DMT11 said:

So now its massie - last thread was juwaun James or bust but oh no - hes too good we cant afford him.  Folks got to realize how hard it is to build a Oline in todays NFL, it probably the hardest thing to do currently

Agreed!

On 1/15/2019 at 3:24 PM, DogIsYourName said:

I'm not sure how much money we can save by cutting Schraeder, but if it is significant I suggest we do that and pay that towards someone who can play.  Obviously the same is true for Schweitzer but I don't think Schweitzer gets paid money, unlike Schraeder.  Schweitzer was pulled out of the stands and is playing for free, as far as I know.

I looked it up before, I believe if we cut him post 6/1 his dead cap is $1.3m in 2019 and $2.5m in 2020.  His biggest hit of $10m in dead money was this year.

This basically means we could clear up $19m over the next 3-years if we cut him post 6/1.  So we could likely sign someone for about $7-8m per year over 4 or 5-years and make it cap neutral to what his hit already was. 

DogIsYourName likes this

13 hours ago, Brewcrew said:

I looked it up before, I believe if we cut him post 6/1 his dead cap is $1.3m in 2019 and $2.5m in 2020.  His biggest hit of $10m in dead money was this year.

This basically means we could clear up $19m over the next 3-years if we cut him post 6/1.  So we could likely sign someone for about $7-8m per year over 4 or 5-years and make it cap neutral to what his hit already was. 

I'm pretty sure $7-8M per year could buy us an upgrade at RT.  

One optimistic thought is that Koetter has been suffering for a few years with the same problems we have.  Terrible run blocking, no run game, too much QB pressure, etc.  He just lost his job because of it, so maybe he's another voice in the room for fixing the OL.