Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Summerhill

Under the radar young OL free agents

26 posts in this topic

Almost every poster on here wants the Falcons to use some high draft picks to bolster the offensive line. That's a great start but the team may need upward of 3 starters so free agency should still be utilized. 

When I look at most free agent lists, they focus on older well known players coming off their second contracts or underwhelming former high picks who didn't get extensions from the teams that drafted them. There's usually not great value there. I'm going to use this list for younger, not well known players with good starting experience. There's often times good value there, particularly if the player was in a bad scheme fit or got caught up in politics with a higher drafted player. I don't subscribe to PFF so can't tell you how well they grade, but if they're starting they at least have some talent. 

• Bobby Hart, Cincinnati
    • 7th round pick in 2014
    • Started 37 games at RT
  • Donovan Smith, Tampa Bay
    • 2nd round pick in 2015
    • Started 64 games at LT (coming out of the draft most people thought he would be best at RT or OG)
  • Jamon Brown, New York Giants
    • 3rd round pick in 2015
    • Started 38 games at OG (mostly for the Rams)
  • John Miller, Buffalo
    • 3rd round pick in 2015
    • Started 47 games at RG
  • Trenton Brown, New England
    • 7th round pick in 2015
    • Started 44 games (mostly at RT for SF)
  • Billy Turner, Denver
    • 3rd round pick in 2014
    • Started 25 games at OG (some with Miami)
  • Mitch Morse, Kansas City
    • 2nd round pick in 2014
    • Started 49 games at C
  • AJ Cann, Jacksonville
    • 3rd round pick in 2015
    • Started 59 games at RG
  • Daryl Williams, Carolina
    • 4th round pick in 2014
    • Started 29 games at RT
  • TJ Clemmings, Oakland
    • 4th round pick in 2015
    • Started 32 games at RT (mostly for Minnesota)
  • Kendall Lamm, Houston
    • UFA in 2015
    • Started 24 games at RT
  • Max Garcia, Denver
    • 4th round pick in 2015
    • Started 41 games at OG (played C in college)
  • Mark Glowinski, Indianapolis
    • 4th round pick in 2015
    • Started 28 games at OG
  • Quinton Spain, Tennessee
    • UFA in 2015
    • Started 48 games at LG
  • Jordan Mills, Buffalo
    • 5th round pick in 2013
    • Started 82 games at RT 
  • Kevin Pamphile, Tampa Bay
    • 5th round pick in 2014
    • Started 35 games mostly at LG
FalconsIn2012 and Cheap Talk like this

I only want olineman if they fall to us I’m not going up for any of them.Just got to play wait and see how the draft falls.Mind you it’s 4 odd months away a lot can happen before then.

PFF grades, sorted by best (for what it's worth, I don't take these too seriously, site has gone downhill lately, but it's nice for choosing who to take a closer look at)

Tackle

Trenton Brown: #37 OT

Donovan Smith: #42 OT 

Daryl Williams: unranked, score falls here

Kendall Lamm: #52 OT

Jordan Mills: #70 OT

Bobby Hart: #72 OT

Kevin Pamphile: unranked, score falls here

TJ Clemmings: unranked, score falls here

Guard

Mark Glowinski: #17 OG

John Miller: #26 OG

Billy Turner: #34 OG

Quinton Spain: #40 OG

AJ Cann: #45 OG

Jamon Brown: #65 OG

Max Garcia: unranked, score falls here

Center

Mitch Morse: #12 C

Our Guys

Alex Mack: #3 C

Jake Matthews: #10 OT

Ben Garland: #16 OG

Wes Schweitzer: #29 OG

Brandon Fusco: #46 OG

Ryan Schraeder: #54 OT

Like I said...I don't trust PFF. No way are we set at guard. But I do think we could do well replacing a tackle and just one guard with new starters in FA and the draft.

Good stuff Summerhill.

I think free agency is the way to fix the line for 2019 and the draft is the way to fix it long term. 

TD admitted we are in win now mode so we are going to need guys that can step in and start day one.  You can't guarantee that with draft picks.

Still need to draft some guys to develop for the future and as depth for this season, but I really think FA is how we fix things immediately.  

49 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

While I am not defending Schraeder, I have to ask this question...

Was he over helping with the guard problem next to him?  With Chester, a competent starting guard, he became one of the best in the league.

No.  He was losing 1v1 battles routinely against good and barely NFL starter level guys.  He didn't get any push in run game and his best attribute was his pass pro but he was a shell of himself this year.  Yes the communication with the guard was probably not the best but he flat out was trash last year and has been on decline for 2 years now.

1989Fan, falconsd56 and vel like this

3 minutes ago, Stryka said:

No.  He was losing 1v1 battles routinely against good and barely NFL starter level guys.  He didn't get any push in run game and his best attribute was his pass pro but he was a shell of himself this year.  Yes the communication with the guard was probably not the best but he flat out was trash last year and has been on decline for 2 years now.

Thanks,

I honestly dont watch the OL much during the games. It would be one thing if he was trying to stop the inside rush, but if he was getting beat like a drum, yeah needs to go.

Stryka likes this

22 minutes ago, ike barn87987 said:

My order of preference:

Turner

Garcia

Pamphile

Clemmings

Didn't Garcia miss most of last year with an injury ?

10 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Didn't Garcia miss most of last year with an injury ?

He had lost his starting spot to open the season, but took over at RG for a struggling Connor McGovern in week 6. Then the other LG went down w/ an injury the following week,  so Garcia moved to LG. Garcia started the next three games & then tore his ACL in week 11.

So you'd really be rolling the dice with him in 2019. I know the recovery for ACL injuries isn't typically what it once was, but that's still a major injury, especially for a guy that size & it happened so late in the season... hard to say how much he'd be able to do in the offseason to get up to speed.

Geneaut likes this

4 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

PFF grades, sorted by best (for what it's worth, I don't take these too seriously, site has gone downhill lately, but it's nice for choosing who to take a closer look at)

Tackle

Trenton Brown: #37 OT

Donovan Smith: #42 OT 

Daryl Williams: unranked, score falls here

Kendall Lamm: #52 OT

Jordan Mills: #70 OT

Bobby Hart: #72 OT

Kevin Pamphile: unranked, score falls here

TJ Clemmings: unranked, score falls here

Guard

Mark Glowinski: #17 OG

John Miller: #26 OG

Billy Turner: #34 OG

Quinton Spain: #40 OG

AJ Cann: #45 OG

Jamon Brown: #65 OG

Max Garcia: unranked, score falls here

Center

Mitch Morse: #12 C

Our Guys

Alex Mack: #3 C

Jake Matthews: #10 OT

Ben Garland: #16 OG

Wes Schweitzer: #29 OG

Brandon Fusco: #46 OG

Ryan Schraeder: #54 OT

Like I said...I don't trust PFF. No way are we set at guard. But I do think we could do well replacing a tackle and just one guard with new starters in FA and the draft.

Per PFF, our OG situation is not bad at all...lol 

30 minutes ago, k-train said:

He had lost his starting spot to open the season, but took over at RG for a struggling Connor McGovern in week 6. Then the other LG went down w/ an injury the following week,  so Garcia moved to LG. Garcia started the next three games & then tore his ACL in week 11.

So you'd really be rolling the dice with him in 2019. I know the recovery for ACL injuries isn't typically what it once was, but that's still a major injury, especially for a guy that size & it happened so late in the season... hard to say how much he'd be able to do in the offseason to get up to speed.

Yikes. I thought it was earlier in the season. That hurts.

28 minutes ago, k-train said:

Yeah I know all about the Garcia injury, but I still would take a chance if we couldn't get Turner. But I'm thinking pamphile might end up being the guy since he's connected to DK.

15 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Per PFF, our OG situation is not bad at all...lol 

Yeah, nah. Lmao.

14 minutes ago, ike barn87987 said:

Yeah I know all about the Garcia injury, but I still would take a chance if we couldn't get Turner. But I'm thinking pamphile might end up being the guy since he's connected to DK.

Would much rather get Smith. Seems like an ideal RT too.

3 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Yeah, nah. Lmao.

Would much rather get Smith. Seems like an ideal RT too.

I believe RT is coming thru the draft. I think LG will be thru FA, which is why I like Pamphile, Turner, or Garcia.

6 hours ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Was he over helping with the guard problem next to him?  With Chester, a competent starting guard, he became one of the best in the league.

No! He has no excuses, unless its injury, he was flat beat like a drum mostly one-on-one.

How was Garland rated so high by PFF? I didn't notice him doing anything great and did notice him getting whipped. I don't understand. 

18 minutes ago, thajames said:

How was Garland rated so high by PFF? I didn't notice him doing anything great and did notice him getting whipped. I don't understand. 

It is because PFF is garbage.

Even when i think a guy is the same level that they they do and they agree with me......they still suck.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

This is how I think it is going to play out. Within the first day or two of free agency we are going to sign a right tackle to a deal that is probably more money than what people on the board thinks that they are worth... Endless complaining and whining will ensue.

Then we will spend one of the first three draft picks on an offensive guard.... of course there will be a rather small but vocal section of fans who hate whoever we draft and even though they would complain that we don't pick at a lineman high but when we do ....they'll be upset that we picked that particular lineman.

Then we will have an open competition for the other guard spot that includes the guys on the roster now like Schweitzer, Fusco, Harlow,Gano, maybe we will resign Ty and have him be a swing tackle / guard and he'll be in the mix and then we will probably sign a small handful of undrafted free agents who will get shot at it.

9 hours ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

I also think Toilolo helped Shraeder. Would like to see him return