Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
falcon1fan

colts fire offensive line coach

24 posts in this topic

Dave DeGuglielmo

look up his resume. I never do this but go get this guy. Hes a proven winner who has the colts line in top 4 rush and pass blocking. 

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

He had hogs on that line this year to go along with outstanding coaching. I don't feel confident in anyone turning **** to sugar in Atlanta unless they make tremendous upgrades to the line

i agree but he won super bowls with both the giants and pats. he was let go so reich could bring in his own guy. We need winners on the coaching staff this guy firs the bill. 

I don't understand why people think the OLine coach magically makes or breaks the unit. Our OLine was injured and bad so ours sucks, but just because the Colts have the best OLine players in the NFL their coach is automatically great. That's now how it works. Our OLine coach was fine with everyone when our line was good during our SB run.

JDaveG likes this

1 minute ago, falcon1fan said:

i agree but he won super bowls with both the giants and pats. he was let go so reich could bring in his own guy. We need winners on the coaching staff this guy firs the bill. 

Saying he won one with the Giants doesn't really impress me considering what they're defense did to Brady both times. The Patriots line on the other hand, was it really him or the scheme

Just now, Lornoth said:

I don't understand why people think the OLine coach magically makes or breaks the unit. Our OLine was injured and bad so ours sucks, but just because the Colts have the best OLine players in the NFL their coach is automatically great. That's now how it works. Our OLine coach was fine with everyone when our line was good during our SB run.

Well coaching does make a difference. Again i was going off his resume, not just 1 year, and track record. The guy has won in multiple cities. Yes our oline was injured, but upgrades are upgrades both player and staff.

Falconsin2012 likes this

2 minutes ago, falcon1fan said:

Well coaching does make a difference. Again i was going off his resume, not just 1 year, and track record. The guy has won in multiple cities. Yes our oline was injured, but upgrades are upgrades both player and staff.

Just because you've won a SB as part of a coaching staff doesn't make you good. Our OLine coach won offensive line coach of the year his first year with us. 

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

Saying he won one with the Giants doesn't really impress me considering what they're defense did to Brady both times. The Patriots line on the other hand, was it really him or the scheme

Could be either. It couldnt hurt to bring in someone with a winning mentality and exerience. 

Just now, Lornoth said:

Just because you've won a SB as part of a coaching staff doesn't make you good. Our OLine coach won offensive line coach of the year his first year with us. 

Agreed. He dud it in multiple places and has fielded some really good lines. If coaches didnt matter they wouldnt exist

3 minutes ago, falcon1fan said:

Agreed. He dud it in multiple places and has fielded some really good lines. If coaches didnt matter they wouldnt exist

I didn't say they didn't matter, I said it's easy to look good with a great cast of players, and nobody was complaining about ours until we lost all our guards and our RT hit the ground hard. 

Just now, Lornoth said:

I didn't say they didn't matter, I said it's easy to look good with a great cast of players, and nobody was complaining about ours until we lost all our guards and our RT hit the ground hard. 

ive seen plenty of complaints on here the last few years as many believe the offensive line to be an achilles heel with this team. Id say it starts with drafted lineman not being up to par, but thinking that the complaints over our line started recently is not accurate. The have been ongoing.

2 minutes ago, falcon1fan said:

ive seen plenty of complaints on here the last few years as many believe the offensive line to be an achilles heel with this team. Id say it starts with drafted lineman not being up to par, but thinking that the complaints over our line started recently is not accurate. The have been ongoing.

Well we had a top 3 OLine in 2016, so they can't be that ongoing. Or, if they are, they're unwarranted. 

Whenever we have had good Oline play(Ryan era), one of these 3 people was a bigger difference maker than the OL coach:

Michael Turner- ran through tackles, kept the defense honest so they couldn't pin their ears back. Made both pass and run blocking look better.

Matt Ryan- great presnap reads, quick decision making, audibles us into advantageous play calls.

Kyle Shananhan- misdirection, 2te sets, unpredictability... I'm convinced he could take the 5 most avg NFL OL and make them a top 10 unit if he had strong skill position players.

mtldirtybird likes this

All I know is Ryan got sacked 40+ times and our running game blew donkeys.

Break the bank and hire good coaches, and ask those good coaches which players to bring in.

Coaches don't affect the cap. 

rugger8 likes this

Dude may be a good OL coach but his tenure in New England didnt go well. He was brought in to replace Dante Scarnecchia who retired for a couple of seasons only to be brought back by Belichick. The OL play definitely dipped when Scarnecchia left and this dude was in charge. And it definitely improved when Scarnecchia came back. 

1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Dude may be a good OL coach but his tenure in New England didnt go well. He was brought in to replace Dante Scarnecchia who retired for a couple of seasons only to be brought back by Belichick. The OL play definitely dipped when Scarnecchia left and this dude was in charge. And it definitely improved when Scarnecchia came back. 

Yes, but the OL was hit hard with injuries in 2015 when their play dipped.

1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

And the Colts line looked better because they used 6 OL and a blocking TE on 30% of their snaps.  Having the extra OL makes you give things up in the passing game.  Seattle did the same thing this year.  Neither OL is as good as it appears

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

And the Colts line looked better because they used 6 OL and a blocking TE on 30% of their snaps.  Having the extra OL makes you give things up in the passing game.  Seattle did the same thing this year.  Neither OL is as good as it appears

Interesting.  Where'd you get this stat?

17 minutes ago, poutlipper said:

Interesting.  Where'd you get this stat?

Review: The Seahawks are bullying opponents with 6 offensive linemen at a time

The George Fant package saved the Seahawks season and turned the offense into a group that’s hard to stop.

usa_today_11752625.0.jpg

Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports

For the first time in a long time, the Seattle Seahawks are winning up front on offense.

A year ago, the team averaged 4.0 yards per rushing attempt — now that number is 4.7. That may not seem like much, but it’s the difference between the Seahawks finishing 21st best in the category in 2017 and climbing to eighth best in 2018.

Russell Wilson is still getting sacked plenty — even if Duane Brown has shored up Seattle’s left tackle woes — but the Seahawks are finally able to lean on their rushing attack again. It’s the reason why what should’ve been a rebuild year has turned into a season that will likely end with a trip to the postseason.

How did the Seahawks turn things around offensively to rattle off four consecutive wins in the back half of the season? The answer is George Fant.

The 6’5, 322-pound offensive tackle has technically made five starts for the Seahawks, but he’s still never played more than 40 offensive snaps in a game. That’s unusual on the offensive line, where players don’t play rotationally.

It’s because — more so than any other team in the NFL — the Seahawks put six offensive lineman on the field. Through 14 games, Seattle linemen have collectively been on the field for 4,859 offensive snaps. The team has played 926 snaps so far, so that’s an average of 5.247 offensive linemen on the field per play.

The Colts have the second highest number at 5.099 offensive linemen per game. For many teams, it’s exactly five offensive linemen per game.

Seattle has leaned into six-man offensive line sets more than any team in the NFL, and it’s paying off in a big way. Let’s review:

Power: 8.9

The obvious advantage of having six offensive linemen on the field is hoo boy that’s a lot of beef. Put enough linemen who weigh more than 300 pounds on the field, and the defense is in danger of getting bulldozed.

Add in the fact that the Seahawks like to use their tight ends to block too, and the offense can become a freight train. Take a look at what the Minnesota Vikings had to deal with early in their 21-7 loss to the Seahawks:

That’s George Fant next to Duane Brown on the left side of the offensive line, and tight ends Ed Dickson and Nick Vannett on the right side. The Vikings defense doesn’t even get a chance to touch running back Chris Carson until he’s 4 yards past the line of scrimmage. It’s a defensive back who has to step up and make the play, because all the defensive linemen and linebackers have a very large man in bright green to deal with.

Seattle started the year with 64 rushing yards against the Broncos, and 74 against the Bears. The Seahawks used their six-man offensive line on just one play in Week 1, and not once in Week 2.

When the team embraced their jumbo offensive line with Fant on the field, the rushing game — and the Seahawks offense, as a consequence — took off. It’s why Seattle rushed for 214 yards against the Vikings, and 273 against the Rams.

Any team that wants to stop the Seahawks from mauling them too better come with a whole lot of beef of their own.

Explosiveness: 9.4

A negative consequence of extra offensive linemen is that it means fewer receivers on the field. It makes an offense more predictable and gives a defense fewer playmakers to worry about.

But the Seahawks have turned that drawback on its head by destroying teams with big pass plays. Seattle is the only team in the NFL that throws fewer than 27 passes per game, but the team is third in passing touchdowns.

While the Seattle offense primarily relies on slowly grinding through teams on the ground, no team in the NFL is more explosive through the air.

Screen_Shot_2018_12_19_at_1.58.14_PM.png

The logic is simple: With defenses committing extra players to stop the run, Russell Wilson doesn’t have many defensive backs to beat. As a consequence, he’s thrown 14 touchdowns and one interception on pass attempts more than 20 yards downfield.

Don’t bring enough players to the line of scrimmage and you get run over. Bring too many and Wilson torches you deep. Pick your poison.

Piesman-ity: 1.7

Fant was a college basketball player at Western Kentucky before using his fifth year of eligibility to join the football team as a tight end. He only caught one pass in his one season of college football, before impressing the Seahawks with his athletic ability.

He transitioned to offensive tackle in Seattle and halfway through his rookie season he was asked to start at left tackle. It wasn’t a good situation for Fant or the Seahawks.

But all of that is important to remember, because Fant is athletic and just about every time he’s on the field he’s eligible to catch passes. But unfortunately, the Seahawks have thrown it to him just once.

It was a 9-yard gain and it looked like his legs couldn’t keep up the momentum of his 322 pounds:

fant.gif
poutlipper likes this

5 hours ago, Lornoth said:

A good coach works wonders. Look at the Colts OL in 1 yr

6 hours ago, Lornoth said:

Automatically great might be a stretch, but remember the job Mike Tice did when coaching the OL here?

Chitown2ATL_Falcon likes this

18 hours ago, lju713 said:

A good coach works wonders. Look at the Colts OL in 1 yr

Isn’t that the point! I’d argue good line drafting and the return of Luck could be the reason the OL was dramatically improved. That’s some pretty big variables. 

lju713 likes this