Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geneaut

6 free agent offensive line options for the Falcons in 2019

145 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

I'm OK with letting Schraeder go, to tell the truth, if we resign Ty. Schraeder nets us about $4M as a post June 1st cut, but we add some dead space in 2020 and 2021. 

5 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

I think you, i and Vel are on the same page here actually. I am all for drafting new OL players. FFS70 is not and wants free agents.

only difference is I would cut RS due to his salary and re-sign Ty to compete for RT with Gono and a pick if needed.

would be fine w drafting two guards of the staff feels it is needed.

Way too much cap hit for my tastes, especially for a guy who until last year was an above average RT. 

Geneaut likes this

9 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

I think you, i and Vel are on the same page here actually. I am all for drafting new OL players. FFS70 is not and wants free agents.

only difference is I would cut RD due to his salary and re-sign Ty to compete for RT.

I want a hybrid plan ... FA + draft. 

I think you have a better shot drafting a Day 1 starter at OG. Grab your guy at 14, or even move back a little if you think you can do it and get your guy. Sign a 'good' starter RT in FA, and also resign TY if you can get him at good money. He's good insurance.

Draft DL with your next few picks unless a stud OL talent drops to you. Remember we only have a 53 man roster so we can't stash a ton of development OL guys if we overdraft.

What's our plan for Beadles?

Edited by Geneaut
Vandy and falconsd56 like this

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Yup. Same board now whining about our OL were hot-to-trot last offseason for Norwell and Chris Hubbard. 

I say keep Wes, Fusco and Schraeder and draft their competition. 

Vandy I been preaching for awhile now what happens off the field with regards to playing strategy and position coaching is probably going to be more important.

This team has plenty of talent but for some reason they seemingly can’t put it all together consistently.This to me is the most startling thing.Now wheather certain coaches aren’t getting the message or are struggling to translate that to the players is another story,but for me the magnifying glass is well truely on the coaching staff.

See for me this is why Sark got fired they kept giving him the rope and what he needed and when he still couldn’t give them the consistency required gotta go.The mentioned can’t comeback and complain because DQ and co gave him that experienced set of eyes in Knapp to help remedy the situation.Even though the numbers don’t show that end of the day results didn’t go his way.Also think it’s tied into the above either way DQ is under pressure for sure.

Vandy likes this

1 hour ago, Geneaut said:

I want a hybrid plan ... FA + draft. 

I think you have a better shot drafting a Day 1 starter at OG. Grab your guy at 14, or even move back a little if you think you can do it and get your guy. Sign a 'good' starter RT in FA, and also resign TY if you can get him at good money. He's good insurance.

Draft DL with your next few picks unless a stud OL talent drops to you. Remember we only have a 53 man roster so we can't stash a ton of development OL guys if we overdraft.

What's our plan for Beadles?

Beadles for me is a keeper.

Dependant on how the draft falls I think we only need to grab one guy early 1st or 2nd round then go there later.

Thats why those last 3 games that a lot on here said that didn’t matter really did because your continually evaluating your roster.Sambrailo and Beadles played well down the stretch not stellar but well.

If your asking me right now Cody Fords still the target to take Schraeder spot.No I don’t like Ford inside because he plays to high for my liking.Also I’m a big believer in combinations so I’m in on the Dru Samia train also who can and will be had in the 3rd possibly 4th round.Ford and Samia have played multiple years together and this should help speed up the development process if Ford were to be drafted to be a starter.

Geneaut likes this

On 1/15/2019 at 11:50 AM, Lornoth said:

Why does everybody think we're getting rid of Bosher? Who are we replacing him with? Suddenly people think he sucks but he's still an above average punter in the league at worst.

And the best form tackler on the team LOL

Godzilla1985 and Geneaut like this

35 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Vandy I been preaching for awhile now what happens off the field with regards to playing strategy and position coaching is probably going to be more important.

This team has plenty of talent but for some reason they seemingly can’t put it all together consistently.This to me is the most startling thing.Now wheather certain coaches aren’t getting the message or are struggling to translate that to the players is another story,but for me the magnifying glass is well truely on the coaching staff.

See for me this is why Sark got fired they kept giving him the rope and what he needed and when he still couldn’t give them the consistency required gotta go.The mentioned can’t comeback and complain because DQ and co gave him that experienced set of eyes in Knapp to help remedy the situation.Even though the numbers don’t show that end of the day results didn’t go his way.Also think it’s tied into the above either way DQ is under pressure for sure.

Spot on post kiwi. 

3 hours ago, Cole World said:

Can make that argument for any team paying players on a rookie contract. Guys like Debo, Jarrett, Hooper, etc. but as the Falcons are learning, that bargain doesn’t last forever.

also supports us that are saying we need to draft our future lineman. Worked quickly for the colts. OG then OT and all of a sudden one of the best lines in football after years of terrible line play. Saying rookies can play on the line well is a myth, especially on the interior.

Geneaut likes this

5 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Beadles for me is a keeper.

Dependant on how the draft falls I think we only need to grab one guy early 1st or 2nd round then go there later.

Thats why those last 3 games that a lot on here said that didn’t matter really did because your continually evaluating your roster.Sambrailo and Beadles played well down the stretch not stellar but well.

If your asking me right now Cody Fords still the target to take Schraeder spot.No I don’t like Ford inside because he plays to high for my liking.Also I’m a big believer in combinations so I’m in on the Dru Samia train also who can and will be had in the 3rd possibly 4th round.Ford and Samia have played multiple years together and this should help speed up the development process if Ford were to be drafted to be a starter.

I can deal with that. Beadles can be our 1st OG off the bench or cover for Dru if he isn’t NFL ready Day 1. 

36 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Remember when DJ fluker was tha hot shot OL coningbout of Bama in 2013?  Built like a brick house. Why did he flop?

Cause BAMA coaches up players incredibly well. They also have  4 other NFL lineman joining them against smaller and weaker opponents.  They rarely have to worry about the guy next to them losing at the point of attack.  

None of that holds true in the NFL

falconsd56 likes this

36 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Cause BAMA coaches up players incredibly well. They also have  4 other NFL lineman joining them against smaller and weaker opponents.  They rarely have to worry about the guy next to them losing at the point of attack.  

None of that holds true in the NFL

Yeah but this guy was such a physical freak. You'd think they could have gotten something out of him with some coaching.

1 hour ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Remember when DJ fluker was tha hot shot OL coningbout of Bama in 2013?  Built like a brick house. Why did he flop?

Built like a brick house.....and moved like one too

14 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Yeah but this guy was such a physical freak. You'd think they could have gotten something out of him with some coaching.

I think Fluk carried a bit too much weight to handle speed rushers in the NFL...or was that the other giant LT before him that was a top-5 pick...what was his name?  Andre Smith or something

Yep Andre Smith... had some good seasons playing RT in CIN...might have even been to a pro bowl or two. I still remember them laughing at his tiddies when he ran the 40 at the combine lol.

On 1/15/2019 at 11:40 PM, etherdome said:

A few weeks ago, someone on these boards mentioned an OL on the Broncos that is up and coming.  He apparently played well while subbing for an injured player and is ready to step into a starting role.  The impression I got was that this guy is good, but buried behind some entrenched veterans.  

Anybody know who this player is?

Ty Sambrailo. We already got him 

Falcons could stand to draft as many as three OL, sign a FA, and perhaps land a quality UDFA. Quinn may be good with "only two" (Matthews and Mack) but in reality he should have said ONE; Mack ain't exactly a Spring Chicken... and he costs a fortune. Falcons MUST get some legit starter quality youth for AT LEAST two positions on OL in 2019, preferably three.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:40 AM, etherdome said:

A few weeks ago, someone on these boards mentioned an OL on the Broncos that is up and coming.  He apparently played well while subbing for an injured player and is ready to step into a starting role.  The impression I got was that this guy is good, but buried behind some entrenched veterans.  

Anybody know who this player is?

Billy Turner. I posted about him and still would love to get him. I believe we sign a LG in FA and draft a RT and RG. We won't make a big splash in FA. So look for Turner or even Kevin Pamphile at LG. He was with DK in Tampa.