Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geneaut

6 free agent offensive line options for the Falcons in 2019

145 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Quit screwing around with it. Do what we need to in order to sign Ju’Wuan James & find some young studs in the draft.

This ongoing experiment isn’t working.

I will say that we had a shot at the SB with what we had in place. But Mack was playing on a fractured leg & we made a couple of stupid penalties.  Take away the Matthews & Free blunders & run the fkg ball & the Championship was ours dammit.

Sorry bout that, still hurts.  We coached ourselves out of the title ultimately I guess.

Oh, and Schrader was injured in the second quarter, but his ankle "finally gave out" in the fourth quarter. A torn ligament.

:flush:

Jake was hurt most of the postseason too. People forget that.

Vandy and HASHBROWN3 like this

1 minute ago, vel said:

Poole would be downright terrible at safety. He's clueless in space too much. 

He was better than what we had when Apple played at SS. 

1 minute ago, Lornoth said:

A rookie is no guarantee to be better than Wes, in fact he'll probably be worse. Aside from a couple FA's there's no homeruns either, and other teams will be competing. We can't outbid the whole league for the best RT and the best OG on the market.

towards the end of the year they had found a rhythm and now people are butt-hurt because Ryan took a lot of sacks. people love to bring up the Pats O-line. well ..

LT - Trent Brown - 7th round

LG - Joe Thunny - 3rd round

C - David Andrews - undrafted

RG - Shaq Mason - 4th round

RT - Marcus Cannon - 5th round

the Pats have one of the best O-line coaches in the league and they actually allow their guys to play and develop. Brown is the only lineman they didn't draft and they traded for him from the 49ers. it's unfortunate that Ryan took a lot of sacks this season but in all honesty that was more of a result of busted plays. the O-line and TEs are credited with giving up 26 sacks, so if Ryan was sacked 42 times what were the reasons he had to hold onto the ball so long on those other dropbacks?

Vandy, vel, Sidecar Falcon and 1 other like this

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

This is it for me.  I'd be fine with Ja'Wuan James.  He's young and competent.  But we need more depth, more potential starters, and less FA projects to fall back on when we pretend we've "fixed" the o-line by signing a bunch of mid-priced over-the-hill free agents.

Patch job time lol

3 hours ago, Geneaut said:

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/14/falcons-6-free-agent-offensive-line-options-2019/

RT Ja’Wuan James

Size: 6-foot-6, 317 pounds

2018 PFF ranking: No. 34 at OT

If Atlanta makes one offensive change this offseason, it has to be at right tackle. Matt Ryan was sacked a career high 42 times this year and Ryan Schraeder’s blocking was a major reason why. James would provide an instant upgrade. He’s much younger and proved he’s powerful enough to contain Aaron Donald this season. That makes him a valuable commodity, though and will drive up his price. James should command as much as any offensive tackle in this free agent class. Averaging around $10 million a year is not out of the question. That’s simply too much to ask for the Falcons at this time.

i  wanted James as well. Then I ran across an article that talked about the coaching staff asking him to pull more this year and he didn't like pulling that much. If true, would seem like he'd be unhappy here too. 

3 hours ago, Geneaut said:

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/14/falcons-6-free-agent-offensive-line-options-2019/

RT Ja’Wuan James

Size: 6-foot-6, 317 pounds

2018 PFF ranking: No. 34 at OT

If Atlanta makes one offensive change this offseason, it has to be at right tackle. Matt Ryan was sacked a career high 42 times this year and Ryan Schraeder’s blocking was a major reason why. James would provide an instant upgrade. He’s much younger and proved he’s powerful enough to contain Aaron Donald this season. That makes him a valuable commodity, though and will drive up his price. James should command as much as any offensive tackle in this free agent class. Averaging around $10 million a year is not out of the question. That’s simply too much to ask for the Falcons at this time.

G Rodger Saffold

Size: 6-foot-5, 324 pounds

2018 PFF ranking: No. 7 at G

Injuries played a factor but Ben Garland, Andy Levitre and everyone else who tried at left guard all failed. Levitre will be 33 years old next season and is also becoming a free agent, so replacing him at left guard should be a priority for Quinn and Thomas Dimitroff. Saffold is right on the borderline as far as the acceptable age goes, but he’s played well enough in 2018 for it to not be too much of a concern. If Quinn is serious about re-establishing Atlanta as a run-first team, they’ll need guys like Saffold to get it done.

RT Bobby Massie

Size: 6-foot-6, 315 pounds

2018 PFF ranking: No. 29 at OT

The Falcons probably can’t afford Ja’Wuan James, so they’ll likely look at mid-level possibilities and nothing says mid-level quite like Bobby Massie. He’s pretty much a perfectly average offensive lineman who’s halfway between being young and healthy and washed up. A cheap one or two year deal for Massie could help bridge the gap until Atlanta finds a long-term solution at right tackle.

G James Carpenter

Size: 6-foot-5, 321 pounds

2018 PFF ranking: No. 54 at G

Guard is also not a very deep position for the 2018 free agent class. Outside of Saffold, there’s only a handful of decent names that are on the right side of 30 years old. Carpenter is one of them, if not by a whole lot. On the bright side, he does have a lot of experience in the same kind of zone running scheme that Quinn prefers. Before Carpenter went to the Jets, he played four years in Seattle when they were at their best. Carpenter spent most of that time at left guard, but he also played some right tackle and right guard, as well. That experience could be valuable for the Falcons if their other options don’t pan out.

OT Jared Veldheer

Size: 6-foot-8, 322 pounds

2018 PFF ranking: No. 57 at OT

While there’s something to be said for athletic linemen with lower centers of gravity, large and long men still have a lot to do with winning football games. Veldheer would be an outlier for the Falcons, bringing some immense Midwest size and experience (118 career games) to the front line. Veldheer has put in a lot of games at left tackle but also proved he can play at right tackle this season for the Broncos.

G D.J. Fluker

Size: 6-foot-5, 342 pounds

2018 PFF ranking: No. 69 at G

Right tackle and left guard should be the main points of change for the offensive line this year. Right guard is also worth a look, though. Brandon Fusco is a good candidate to get cut for cap savings, so finding a cheaper alternative isn’t a bad idea. Fluker didn’t have a great year for the Seahawks but he was certainly better than everyone Atlanta tried at that spot. If Fluker is willing to play on a low cost, prove-it kind of deal, he just might be worth a shot.

Where is LG Quinton Spain? 

3 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

i  wanted James as well. Then I ran across an article that talked about the coaching staff asking him to pull more this year and he didn't like pulling that much. If true, would seem like he'd be unhappy here too. 

I don’t know — zone teams don’t do a lot of pulling. It depends on why he didn’t want to do it 

If he doesn’t like running, that’s obviously a problem. 

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

He was a second year player. He actually improved dramatically as the season progressed and he’s a ball hawk. SS was the part that killed us on deep and intermediate routes.

rico is so over-loved on this board. And he’s expensive. There are also great FS FAs available if we want to upgrade

Sorry man gotta disagree here I think you need a Rico type player the guy is who ties the backend together.While he doesn’t have the playmaking ability of Kazee he very rarely misses tackles and very rarely gets caught out of position and very rarely gives up big plays.Cleans up other peoples messes.

Commnicates well because of his off field preparation makes everyone’s job playing around him easier.

Glue is what I’d call him.Unless his injury has slowed him down to snails pace it’s hard not to start this guy.

Kazees quick development and uptake can be put down to Rico he’ll be the one telling him the details the dos and don’ts in certain situations.

1 hour ago, Shelley#37 said:

Won't we be changing our blocking concepts with Koetter now?  More man on man and less zone blocking?  We need to get some road graders.

When you’ve got the best reach blocking and get to the second level blocking C in the league I don’t think I’m changing my blocking scheme too much anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Lornoth said:

I think Kazee can certainly grow into the position, but like I said he has a ways to go. Those INT's came at a high cost when guys got behind the defense or ran past Kazee taking poor angles.

It’s a great problem to have the whose better is irrelevant by the time Rico’s contract is up we got a ready replacement.Also in that time Kazee gets a chance to checkout Rico’s off field film study habits that’s why Rico’s so good because he’s scouts motto all over always be prepared.

Kazee adds that to his game he’ll be a stud.

Ergo Proxy likes this

1 hour ago, vel said:

Give me Saffold first and foremost. Look at every single run Gurley and Anderson had this weekend when it was to the left. Saffold was abusing people for 60 minutes. 

Also, it's funny how yall turn your nose up at some guys that have struggled but ignore how OL have been late bloomers lately. Mark Glowinski was very much below average in Seattle and even got cut before he went to Indy and is starting at RG on one of the best OLs in the league. Rob Havenstein was abused by Vic Beasley just two years ago when Vic was good. Fast forward and he's the #3 T per PFF. Austin Blythe, cut by the Colts who had a terrible OL last year, went to LA and is the #10 G per PFF. 

HeIl, look at our own Jake Matthews. He was solid, is unspectacular, until he got paid. turning in a career year as PFF's #10 T. 

A guy not listed that I think they consider is Donovan Smith and move him to RG. Going back to the draft, every report and analyst noted he was a RT or RG, not a LT. The Bucs decided to stick with him at LT, which he isn't terrible (#47 T per PFF). If we got Saffold and Smith to replace Wes and whoever at LG/RG, I think that's a lot of power and ability that I don't think breaks the bank. 

We'll see though... 

All this tells me is how important the combinations are upfront and how they gel.I think alot on here just look at names not in how they fit.If I’m the FO and Coaches I’d be hauling Alex Mack into a meeting room and saying listen these are the guys we are looking at in FA these are the guys we are looking at in the draft who do you like and what are your opinions on them because your the guy whose going to play next to him.

You notice when the Oline struggled both years is when Levitre went down that tells me how important he was to those around him.Huge loss 17 &18 seasons.

Thats how I’d attack this issue.

Ergo Proxy and vel like this

8 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I don’t know — zone teams don’t do a lot of pulling. It depends on why he didn’t want to do it 

If he doesn’t like running, that’s obviously a problem. 

Well, the article did also elude to other issues in MIA. Like the linemen had a velvet rope in the locker room and anyone under 300lbs had to get permission from the gatekeeper to speak to a linemen. So, that's weird as well. I like the player but, I want him if he's a good fit here. 

JDaveG, Geneaut and Ergo Proxy like this

42 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

towards the end of the year they had found a rhythm and now people are butt-hurt because Ryan took a lot of sacks. people love to bring up the Pats O-line. well ..

LT - Trent Brown - 7th round

LG - Joe Thunny - 3rd round

C - David Andrews - undrafted

RG - Shaq Mason - 4th round

RT - Marcus Cannon - 5th round

the Pats have one of the best O-line coaches in the league and they actually allow their guys to play and develop. Brown is the only lineman they didn't draft and they traded for him from the 49ers. it's unfortunate that Ryan took a lot of sacks this season but in all honesty that was more of a result of busted plays. the O-line and TEs are credited with giving up 26 sacks, so if Ryan was sacked 42 times what were the reasons he had to hold onto the ball so long on those other dropbacks?

Its about getting the right guys for your scheme and developing them.  No one complains about the Pats not drafting 1st or 2nd round OL.  Many teams end up with good OLs without using Dallas or Philly method of being avg or worse and drafting 3 studs in almost consecutive years. We just need a little luck and some quality investments.

32 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

All this tells me is how important the combinations are upfront and how they gel.I think alot on here just look at names not in how they fit.If I’m the FO and Coaches I’d be hauling Alex Mack into a meeting room and saying listen these are the guys we are looking at in FA these are the guys we are looking at in the draft who do you like and what are your opinions on them because your the guy whose going to play next to him.

You notice when the Oline struggled both years is when Levitre went down that tells me how important he was to those around him.Huge loss 17 &18 seasons.

Thats how I’d attack this issue.

Exactly. It's the one position that is more sum of the parts than talent. Yes, talent is very important. But working together and having cohesion is the key. That's also partly why I wouldn't be surprised to see Wes starting at LG again. He wasn't terrible and improved a good bit from 2017. Another year of cohesion between Jake and Mack would be good. Fix the RG and RT spots with studs and Wes being the "weak" link is perfectly fine. 

kiwifalcon, Ergo Proxy and Vandy like this

3 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Who ever made that list.......really did not look at the list of free agents very well.....there are several better options for the falcons.....or atleast options that make more sense.

I'm assuming they are mentioning the ones that realistically hit free agency , many on thebufa list will be resign Ed , 

2 hours ago, osiruz said:

We need someone to replace reed's production, he was am OK rotational player.

Agreed. He's not a standout but he produces.

Dutty Ole Bird likes this

3 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Every offseason I hear that he "may emerge."

But every regular season it's 6 more weeks of winter :(

But winter is here!!

According to HBO atleast

JDaveG and Geneaut like this

The Pats have drafted an O lineman in the 3rd in 2016, in the 3rd in 2017 (their 2nd overall pick), and in the 1st in 2018, so it's not like they don't see any value in using higher picks for the O-line.

(One is a starter.... the other was released after developing a serious non football medical issue, and the 1st rounder would have been a starter if not for tearing his achilles in pre-season)

Ergo Proxy likes this

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Where is LG Quinton Spain? 

Maybe he thinks Wes holds it down 'good enough'.

6 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Maybe he thinks Wes holds it down 'good enough'.

LMAO. Yall aint serious about fixing the OLine. Name one rookie OLineman Dimi drafted that came in and beasted in year one? Don't say Bloodline cause he struggled mightily. And please don't say Sackmaker cause he only had one good season in his entire career. And they were first rounders. The OLine class this year is a joke. I know 98% of TATF believe the only way to fix holes is with the draft. Good luck with that. Good long term roster building solution but we'd probably get our ases handed to us again next year. Already worse than NO, LAR, CHI, DAL, PHI, SEA, MIN and GB. Could get bypassed by the likes of TB, NYG, SF and DET if we go monkeying around believing we will fix what ails us in the draft.

9 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

LMAO. Yall aint serious about fixing the OLine. Name one rookie OLineman Dimi drafted that came in and beasted in year one? Don't say Bloodline cause he struggled mightily. And please don't say Sackmaker cause he only had one good season in his entire career. And they were first rounders. The OLine class this year is a joke. I know 98% of TATF believe the only way to fix holes is with the draft. Good luck with that. Good long term roster building solution but we'd probably get our ases handed to us again next year. Already worse than NO, LAR, CHI, DAL, PHI, SEA, MIN and GB. Could get bypassed by the likes of TB, NYG, SF and DET if we go monkeying around believing we will fix what ails us in the draft.

Well, we ain't got the money to hire someone for every hole we got on the OL AND pay Jarrett, Irvin, and possibly JJ. I didn't say keeping Wes is optimal but by the author's article I can only assume he thinks Wes isn't the gaping hole of suck Fusco, Garland, and Schraeder were.

5 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Well, we ain't got the money to hire someone for every hole we got on the OL AND pay Jarrett, Irvin, and possibly JJ. I didn't say keeping Wes is optimal but by the author's article I can only assume he thinks Wes isn't the gaping hole of suck Fusco, Garland, and Schraeder were.

There's a way to free up enough money to sign Grady, Julio, Irvin, Means, Massie, Brown, Spain and many others. Trust me. We can easily free up $64M. Don't play around. Fix the problems, get back in contention immediately and set up the roster for the future.

Geneaut likes this

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

There's a way to free up enough money to sign Grady, Julio, Irvin, Means, Massie, Brown, Spain and many others. Trust me. We can easily free up $64M. Don't play around. Fix the problems, get back in contention immediately and set up the roster for the future.

Understood, but that is going to create potential holes in other places ( kickers, DE and DBs for example). I get what you are saying though. If the FO is willing to do it they could.

My thought is drafting a mauler OG to plugin next year would probably be feasible versus getting an OT. OT's seem to have a higher learning curve than Gs. I'd definitely feel better with a solid vet FA pickup at RT. If the OG drafted doesn't work out you at least have Wes available. Just my thoughts.