Cole World

Former Falcons Coach Mike Smith is done coaching

68 posts in this topic

Mike Smith was the coach the Falcons needed at the time they got him.  His even temperament and approach to coaching (along with an infusion of talent) quickly turned around a franchise that could have easily spiraled into some long term lows after the Vick and Patriono fiascoes.  Instead, we saw the first sustained success this team has ever seen.  

Unfortunately for Smitty, the same even temperament that helped him save a sinking ship would ultimately be his downfall.  His last few years the team lacked fire, played flat, and started to exhibit his aversion to taking chances.  It was clearly time to move on so the franchise could continue to grow.

You won't get any hate toward Smitty from me.  He took us as far as he could... which, for this franchise, was a very long way:  First back to back winning seasons.  5 straight winning season.  4 playoff appearances in 5 years.

I wish him nothing but good things and the best of luck with whatever he does next.  

2 hours ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

Enjoy retirement Coach Smitty. You brought dignity and class to this organization.

Yes, indeed.

JDaveG likes this

6 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Smith brought stability to an otherwise unstable franchise. That, in and of itself, is a tremendous accomplishment. He was a good coach but didn’t have what it took to get us to the next level. 

I was very hard on Smitty for that reason. His formula for success was very basic: don't beat yourself, don't make stupid mistakes. Just sticking to those two principles is enough to beat 90 percent of the NFL, but sadly, it's rarely going to beat that upper 10 percent.

But Smitty did give this team its first-ever back-to-back winning seasons. Many of us were beginning to assume it would never happen. lol. He made watching football fun for us again after some bad times and I will always respect and appreciate him for that. Hope he has a long and happy retirement.

Much love to Smitty! Wish he could have gotten them over the hump. But he didn’t and getting comfortable caught up to him in 13,14. I wish him well tho! 

I'll always be a fan of Mik Smith... obviously he lost his mojo after the 2012 season but he really helped the franchise become relevant again in the aftermath of the Vick fiasco. He holds four of our top ten most winningest seasons as a franchise. Perhaps the best coach in franchise history..... sad as it is to admit it. 

8 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

AGAIN??? 

Did I miss something during the previous 35 years before he arrived of a winning way? 

Yes, apparently you DID miss a few things --- our Falcons were 1980, 1998, and 2004 Division Champs, all before Smitty.  
First Super Bowl appearance in the 1998 season, then again in 2016.  So, yeah, you have to be a "winner" to get to all those games!  
Now granted, this franchise is not a storied one like Green Bay, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, etc., and haven't won multiple Super Bowls ---- but, have been pretty good since the Matt Ryan, Smitty/Quinn era started  But who cares, really, it's my team, and I will back them to the bitter end.....win, lose, or draw!!!  

12 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I say this without reservation: Mike Smith is the single most under-appreciated member of the Falcons family

This, this, and this!!!

No hate from me. Mike Smith saved our team and turned us around. The reason we expect to win today, was partly because of him. If we were to win a SB in the near future, his finger prints should be all over that trophy too. Thanks Smitty! Enjoy retirement! Falcon for life.

Geneaut, Halcon-1 and Falconsfan567 like this

I will always be a major Smitty fan and wish him nothing but the best!! The aforementioned image of Ryan jumping in Smitty's arms after the Bears win in 2008 is one of my favorite moments as a fan of this franchise!! My hope is that if the Falcons win a Super Bowl with Matt Ryan at the helm that Arthur Blank makes sure that Smitty gets a SB ring out of it. He deserves it IMO.

PokerSteve likes this

5 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

I was very hard on Smitty for that reason. His formula for success was very basic: don't beat yourself, don't make stupid mistakes. Just sticking to those two principles is enough to beat 90 percent of the NFL, but sadly, it's rarely going to beat that upper 10 percent.

But Smitty did give this team its first-ever back-to-back winning seasons. Many of us were beginning to assume it would never happen. lol. He made watching football fun for us again after some bad times and I will always respect and appreciate him for that. Hope he has a long and happy retirement.

Under Smitty the Falcons became a postseason participant on a yearly basis, and quite frankly, that is something that no one could have ever imagined happening for the Falcons because they couldn't even post back-to-back winning seasons, so making the playoffs multiple years in a row was completely out of the question. Not only did that happen, but the Falcons posted 5 straight winning seasons with 4 playoff appearances. That's something that no Falcons coach before or since has accomplished.

PokerSteve likes this

12 hours ago, FalconJim said:

Yes, apparently you DID miss a few things --- our Falcons were 1980, 1998, and 2004 Division Champs, all before Smitty.  
First Super Bowl appearance in the 1998 season, then again in 2016.  So, yeah, you have to be a "winner" to get to all those games!  
Now granted, this franchise is not a storied one like Green Bay, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, etc., and haven't won multiple Super Bowls ---- but, have been pretty good since the Matt Ryan, Smitty/Quinn era started  But who cares, really, it's my team, and I will back them to the bitter end.....win, lose, or draw!!!  

So... What you are saying is... We weren’t a consistent winner until Mike Smith proving my point.

Since each and EVERY year after you mentioned, we didn’t even make it to .500(I see you conveniently left the following years out)

Got it, thanks! B)

4 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

So... What you are saying is... We weren’t a consistent winner until Mike Smith proving my point.

Since each and EVERY year after you mentioned, we didn’t even make it to .500(I see you conveniently left the following years out)

Got it, thanks! B)

You're welcome --- certainly not worth arguing over... 

Edited by FalconJim

52 minutes ago, FalconJim said:

You're welcome --- certainly not worth arguing over... 

Nope, it’s not.

But I wasn’t arguing to begin with. :shrug:

5 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Nope, it’s not.

But I wasn’t arguing to begin with. :shrug:

O.K., it's all good man!

The Falcons have a pretty sorry overall history: A few good times intermixed with a lot of bad. This history has often been a total joke... the laughing stock of the NFL.

There are a few names though in Falcon history that stand out. Leeman Bennett brought credibility to the franchise for a period before the Smith family screwed us up again. Dan Reeves came in and gave the franchise credibility after the clown show known as Jerry Glanville.

We finally got decent ownership but the debacle of Petrino threatened to take the Falcons back to joke status before Mike Smith showed up and turned us back into a credible professional franchise. 

As many here have said, he was the right guy at the right time and I think he deserves a ton of honor from every single Falcon's fan. We joke about "Smitty ball", but "Smitty ball" pulled us out of the gutter and was the foundation of what is now a very solid franchise.

He was a DG Falcon.