Cole World

Former Falcons Coach Mike Smith is done coaching

68 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Smitty had a stacked defense in Tampa, and he couldn't ever build one in Atlanta. The truth is he was overrated as a DC.

If if were so stacked how come it continued to suck after he left??

In the 11 games after he was fired their defense gave up ateast 25 points 6 times and atleast 30 4 times.

JDaveG likes this

Just now, falconsd56 said:

If if were so stacked how come it continued to suck after he left??

In the 11 games after he was fired their defense gave up ateast 25 points 6 times and atleast 30 4 times.

They got a lot better when he left.

Just now, osiruz said:

They got a lot better when he left.

Not really.

They gave up 38 to the Giants, 42 to the Panthers when Cam played, 27 to the Cowboys, 34 to us , 37 to the bangles.

JDaveG likes this

Mike is a good guy, he was a great coach for us that had some flaws but he was genuine and tried. No hard feeling at all towards him and I hope he enjoys his retirement.

Cole World likes this

9 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Not really.

They gave up 38 to the Giants, 42 to the Panthers when Cam played, 27 to the Cowboys, 34 to us , 37 to the bangles.

Bucs with smith allowed 34.6 points per game. Bucs without smith allowed 26.7 points per game it was only a 1 TD improvement.

1 hour ago, Cole World said:

I wonder how it would make Smitty feel if Quinn wins a Championship with two of his former coordinators.

Since it’s not his former players as well, probably not bother him at all. 

I can see him cheering them on actually.

Cole World likes this

2 minutes ago, BlazerSlayer said:

I think his defense was best suited for a having a very strong front 4. Without that, we saw what Atlanta and TB defenses were like under him. Always seemed a good man though, I wish him well.

I think so too.  And honestly, I think his biggest weakness as a HC was talent evaluation for his scheme.  He never was able to articulate to TD exactly what he wants in the way Quinn seems to be able to do.

I also think he let TD knock him off the ball with the "explosive" offense and the "multiple" defense stuff.  And that's good -- we want our offense to be explosive and our defense to play fast and show different looks.  But Smitty basically was trying to fit what he was doing to what the team wanted instead of staying true to his own philosophy.  I think he lost his way a bit.  His book seems to bear this out.  On offense, that was fine, because Koetter could run things on that side of the ball.  But on defense, he and Nolan were basically tied at the tail and trying to run in different directions.

rugger8, Cole World and Osiruz like this

22 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Not really.

Tough to be good when your top CB complains that $8,000,000 isn’t enough to shadow AB all game

JDaveG likes this

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Thanks for helping us become relevant again, Smitty. Enjoy your retirement.

I agree. It was the right move firing smutty but he was absolutely a huge part shaping our organizational culture and building our core team. I just think he burnt out after so many years of working in the NFL

Smitty is a ring of honor guy and as far as I’m concerned one of the all time falcons greats

50 minutes ago, FalconJim said:

Smitty came in and made the Falcons a winner again, after years of wallowing in the mire.  I'll always thank him for that! 

Good Luck, Smitty, and enjoy your retirement --- 

AGAIN??? 

Did I miss something during the previous 35 years before he arrived of a winning way? 

Smitty did so much for this franchise. He helped make being a falcon fan fun again. My wife used to say, I hope when you’re a grandpa to our kids kids you’ll be a grandpa like I think Smitty is to his grandkids lol. 

2 hours ago, Cole World said:

I wonder how it would make Smitty feel if Quinn wins a Championship with two of his former coordinators.

Not a doubt in my mind he'd be extremely happy for all involved.

Smitty needs to move back to the ATL and feel the love for being the coach that brought respectability to the Falcons.

1st coach with back to back winning seasons

Only had 2 non winning seasons (Quinn has tied that)

Swept the Saints on the way out.

ATL sports talk radio should have a job ready and waiting for him.... or at least some kind of job with the Falcons media department/front office

Cole World and JDaveG like this