Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Champford

Ed Oliver

10 posts in this topic

I've got him rated as the 3rd best DL prospect after Quinnen and Clelin Ferrell. He's got more than adequate strength and would be a fantastic addition next to Grady. Plus hes the most likely of the top 3 to actually fall to us.

Here's my list:

Quinnen Williams

Clelinn Ferrell

Ed Oliver 

Jeffrey Simmons 

Oshane Ximines 

Champford likes this

great athlete but he is playing at 275lbs.    Saw somewhere where they said he couldn't carry 290lbs - awfully small to go up against big boy NFL OLinemen.  I know they said the same thing about Aaron Donald.  I do believe Donald was a little bigger.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-2019-nfl-mock-draft-3

PFF has Falcons taking Ed Oliver at #14 - at that spot, wouldn't hate it.

14. ATLANTA FALCONS – ED OLIVER, DI, HOUSTON

While there are questions about Oliver’s size, he’s difficult to block, particularly in the run game where he posted elite grades of 92,0, 94.6 and 94.0 over the last three years. Oliver must improve his technique as a pass-rusher, but the tools are there, and a career-high 88.2 pass-rush grade in 2018 is a step in the right direction.

Image result for ed oliver

oztin likes this

33 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

great athlete but he is playing at 275lbs.    Saw somewhere where they said he couldn't carry 290lbs - awfully small to go up against big boy NFL OLinemen.  I know they said the same thing about Aaron Donald.  I do believe Donald was a little bigger.

I can definitely understand the thinking on that because I too would like a bigger defensive lineman but if he is quick enough and more than strong enough to beat an olineman's Leverage then it really doesn't matter. But I do understand with a bigger body guy you don't need to be perfect every time

17 hours ago, g-dawg said:

He scares me for that reason as well. Also, unlike Donald who had tremendous pass rushing stats in college, Oliver isn’t very high in sack department. 

And donald played against top notch opponents not Memphis and scrubs. Donald was a no brainer, Oliver gives me pause

vel likes this

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

He scares me for that reason as well. Also, unlike Donald who had tremendous pass rushing stats in college, Oliver isn’t very high in sack department. 

And donald played against top notch opponents not Memphis and scrubs. Donald was a no brainer, Oliver gives me pause

Agreed. He didn't really dominate in the passing game which is what should have happened. People point to injuries, etc. but when you point to competition, people just ignore it. I can't. Go look at Khalil Mack at Buffalo. He straight dominated and the moment he played Ohio St and dominated, everyone was sold. Still too many questions out there with Oliver. I think he'll be largely disruptive, but I don't know if he's a pass rushing terror up the middle. 

Just now, vel said:

Agreed. He didn't really dominate in the passing game which is what should have happened. People point to injuries, etc. but when you point to competition, people just ignore it. I can't. Go look at Khalil Mack at Buffalo. He straight dominated and the moment he played Ohio St and dominated, everyone was sold. Still too many questions out there with Oliver. I think he'll be largely disruptive, but I don't know if he's a pass rushing terror up the middle. 

Which DT do you like? 

Great point on Mack—he absolutely was dominant against his small schools teams