Unintentional Grounding

2019 NFL Draft Prospects - Atlanta Falcons

298 posts in this topic

I would like to ask a question to all who are contributing to this and all who are just browsing.

How should I categorize the current visits / pro Day appearances?

Just because scouts were at a pro day does not mean we talk to anyone. 

On 29/03/2019 at 6:26 PM, Cole World said:

Dawson Knox should be in the same conversation as Fant and Hock. Could be a 1st rounder when all is said and done.

Cole World likes this

A little more insight to the player hjerry recently posted about Michael Dogbe.

NFL Draft 2019: Meet Temple’s athletic freak, Michael Dogbe, who could add DL depth for Giants, Eagles, Jets

Updated Mar 21, 2019; Posted Mar 21, 2019

PHILADELPHIA -- Temple defensive lineman and former Star-Ledger Player of The Year, Michael Dogbe’s reputation as a weight room warrior preceded him long before NFL scouts were left buzzing from his 34 reps on the bench press at the program’s Pro Day.

Had Dogbe been invited to the NFL Combine, his bench press reps would have been second best behind only Clemson’s Dexter Lawrence, who put up 36 reps.

Dogbe, 6-foot-3 and 280 pounds, set out to prove to the scouts and coaches in attendance from 28 NFL teams Monday that he’s just as capable of making plays on the field as he is putting up an impressive number on the bench press.

“I Just wanted to show them that I could move," Dogbe said Monday at the STAR complex. "Me being a weight room guy, a lot of people think I’m stiff. I just wanted to show them that I can move. I know a lot of people thought I weighed around 270 or 275, so the weigh in was pretty big for me, coming in at 284. I just wanted to show that I had the size, strength and athleticism.”

Not only did Dogbe turn heads with his weight room performance Monday, but he impressed enough during the on-field drills to earn an invite to the Eagles, Giants and Jets local Pro Days next month ahead of the NFL Draft.

All three teams could be looking to add quality interior defensive line depth in the draft.

Monday, Dogbe flashed an explosive first-step in pass-rush drills and an impressive swim-move that people around Temple’s program have been raving about as he continues to improve on his flexibility and bend that one assistant coach said had grown by “leaps and bounds” since his arrival on North Broad Street.

“I’ve never wanted to be average," Dogbe said, when asked what has fueled his improvement. "If you choose to be average, you’re not really going to get far. I’ve been working at this thing since the fifth-grade. It was always about getting faster and stronger, whatever it takes, I was going to do it to be an elite football player.”

Given his size, speed and strength, Dogbe likely is best cast as a five-technique in the NFL

A three-year starter, Dogbe logged 8.5 career stats -- including a career-high seven in 2018 -- and made 158 total tackles with five forced fumbles.

Posted (edited)

Things could get really interesting if the Falcons decide to take Sweat.

could be the kind of guy that replaces Vick when his price tag is too much next year and we could still go into the second and third rounds to find guys like Dexter Lawrence or Zach Allen to take over the McClain and Crawford snaps.

it's an interesting scenario if he is there because he does have the strength to play defensive end but also the ability to play linebacker at the SAM.

I'm definitely still on the Dexter Lawrence / Christian Wilkins train because I believe it's the safer pick that gives the Falcons an opportunity to let other players shine, but if we did take sweat I wouldn't have an issue as long as we still addressed DT later with the right guys.

Edited by Unintentional Grounding
g-dawg likes this

14 minutes ago, Unintentional Grounding said:

Things could get really interesting if the Falcons decide to take Sweat.

could be the kind of guy that replaces Vick when his price tag is too much next year and we could still go into the second and third rounds to find guys like Dexter Lawrence or Zach Allen to take over the McClain and Crawford snaps.

it's an interesting scenario if he is there because he does have the strength to play defensive end but also the ability to play linebacker at the SAM.

I'm definitely still on the Dexter Lawrence / Christian Wilkins train because I believe it's the safer pick that gives the Falcons an opportunity to let other players shine, but if we did take sweat I wouldn't have an issue as long as we still addressed DT later with the right guys.

Yeah, just about finding most impactful player.   Sweat is very “toolsey” and probably has highest upside of those three prospects.  Probably a lower floor too, though

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah, just about finding most impactful player.   Sweat is very “toolsey” and probably has highest upside of those three prospects.  Probably a lower floor too, though

it also has a lot to do with high IQ guys versus those lone Wolf types you know?

Not to say that a guy that is just going 90 to nothing and kicking butt on his own doesn't have IQ.  but the way that Dan Quinn is speaking about things reminds me a lot of the 2015 season right before the draft as he said that he wanted some of his guys some of the bigger and faster players.

now I feel like it's come full circle again and this draft really reminds me of 2015 / 2016 we're technically sound guys we're the ones that we took but the athletic guys were the ones the fans wanted.

If we can somehow pull out the last of the pixie dust from that 2016 draft and inject it into this 2019 class I think we'll end up with a **** of a draft.

High IQ guys who have athletic profiles that can be matured and worked on. Guys that don't necessarily need to be Hands-On projects but know what they need to do and just need to sharpen their skills.

1 minute ago, Unintentional Grounding said:

it also has a lot to do with high IQ guys versus those lone Wolf types you know?

Not to say that a guy that is just going 90 to nothing and kicking butt on his own doesn't have IQ.  but the way that Dan Quinn is speaking about things reminds me a lot of the 2015 season right before the draft as he said that he wanted some of his guys some of the bigger and faster players.

now I feel like it's come full circle again and this draft really reminds me of 2015 / 2016 we're technically sound guys we're the ones that we took but the athletic guys were the ones the fans wanted.

Just want a player that has enough skills to translate to the NFL and has that "dog" in him. Hindsight always 20/20 but looking back at drafting Vic Beasley - when he is interviewed, he seems so mild-mannered.   Of course Takk is the opposite but he is a little cra-cra.   Both still may turn out OK but Vic - I've about given up on him.

Wilkins and Lawrence seem to have the right mental make-up.   Not sure about Sweat and Oliver - not saying they do or don't just don't know as much about them personally - I know some on this board like Yo Lover are questioning Oliver's character but I don't know that I have seen enough to be concerned - he looks like an Alpha Dog on the field - which is where it is the most important.

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Just want a player that has enough skills to translate to the NFL and has that "dog" in him. Hindsight always 20/20 but looking back at drafting Vic Beasley - when he is interviewed, he seems so mild-mannered.   Of course Takk is the opposite but he is a little cra-cra.   Both still may turn out OK but Vic - I've about given up on him.

Wilkins and Lawrence seem to have the right mental make-up.   Not sure about Sweat and Oliver - not saying they do or don't just don't know as much about them personally - I know some on this board like Yo Lover are questioning Oliver's character but I don't know that I have seen enough to be concerned - he looks like an Alpha Dog on the field - which is where it is the most important.

another important factor in this is that this team doesn't have enough leaders.

Takk and Vic are both what I would consider lone wolves. I can't really count Senat as a leader just yet because he's so green.

Crawford, Means, and Bennett are what I consider depth and role players at this point.

It wasn't until last year that Grady really became more of a leader and Dan Quinn has been quoted saying that he wants Grady to really help the group and step up.

The linebackers are literally just led by Deion Jones...

Trufant and Oliver are both lone wolves and take care of themselves.

Neal and Allen are kind of on the same page being leaders.

So if you take that group of guys and look for the leadership you just don't have it imo. You start putting the contracts together along with what types of players you already have and guys like Ed Oliver and Brian Burns just don't make any sense. Instead guys like Williams, Wilkins, Lawrence, Zach Allen, and quite a few others scream Atlanta Falcons and Dan Quinn style of leadership.

it will be interesting to see how Dan Quinn shuffles this draft around to find guys that are not just good at what they do but also keep the continuity of the team alive and help others play at a higher level.

m2Falcons likes this

25 minutes ago, Unintentional Grounding said:

another important factor in this is that this team doesn't have enough leaders.

Takk and Vic are both what I would consider lone wolves. I can't really count Senat as a leader just yet because he's so green.

Crawford, Means, and Bennett are what I consider depth and role players at this point.

It wasn't until last year that Grady really became more of a leader and Dan Quinn has been quoted saying that he wants Grady to really help the group and step up.

The linebackers are literally just led by Deion Jones...

Trufant and Oliver are both lone wolves and take care of themselves.

Neal and Allen are kind of on the same page being leaders.

So if you take that group of guys and look for the leadership you just don't have it imo. You start putting the contracts together along with what types of players you already have and guys like Ed Oliver and Brian Burns just don't make any sense. Instead guys like Williams, Wilkins, Lawrence, Zach Allen, and quite a few others scream Atlanta Falcons and Dan Quinn style of leadership.

it will be interesting to see how Dan Quinn shuffles this draft around to find guys that are not just good at what they do but also keep the continuity of the team alive and help others play at a higher level.

Yeah, I think Wilkins would eventually bring leadership as he gets a few years of experience under him - provided he plays well.  I think it's hard to be a leader if you also aren't a star on the field.

We tried the "draft team captains" thing once with Thomas Dimitroff and it was a colossal failure on defense when we arguably had one of the least talented rosters in the NFL for a few years.

No one mentions it much when discussing Lawrence, but he has been injured a fair amount of time as well.

3 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

Check out @AaronWilson_NFL’s Tweet:

probably a good indication that 1/2 the NFL is looking for offensive tackles.   14 teams listed there for a guy that figures to go in the 3rd or 4th round.

The closing week of pro day workouts is a west coast affair and started in Washington today.  Here’s the latest.

Offensive tackle Kaleb McGary stood on his combine numbers but did participate in position drills and looked good.  McGary has watched his draft stock improve the past three months and could end up in the second round.

His official visit list includes the New England Patriots, Los Angeles Rams and Jacksonville Jaguars.  The Atlanta Falcons will also be making a trip to work out McGary.

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-report-–-washington