Falcons In 2012

4 Remaining Playoff Teams Have 1 Thing In Common

82 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, JDaveG said:

You need both.  And notably, all four teams have good defenses.

Honestly, I think the Rams are well situated to beat the Saints.  I'd hope the Chiefs are as well (I like their defense), but the Patriots are ranked higher in PPG and their offense is really, really solid.  I hope for 2 opposite game plans:

1)  KC/NE -- KC needs to score early and often and put New England behind the 8-ball needing to score to win.

2)  LA/NO -- LA needs to run the ball down their throats and keep the offense on the sidelines, making them more one-dimensional.  They also need to let those big DTs eat -- Brees hates having pressure up the middle.

You also need to pound the ball when you need to run the clock out.  We haven't had that since the early Turner days.  We need that back with a stout defense. Our offense (up in the air about the rushing attack) should be fine. 

JDaveG likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, E. T. said:

All 4 teams have built up their defenses too.

Starts with trenches.

And thats where Falcons lose everytime.

In offseason and F.A.....look at past 10 years. 

In all highs and lows.....few things have been common issues.

- Lack of physicality upfront

- Unable to FINISH games late in 4th qtr (most cases DEFENSE never shows up in 4th quarter...all PRESSURE is on Ryan/Julio) 

- No threat in Special Teams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Not when we are healthy

Yes.  Even when healthy.

You are forgetting the pass rush.  This is where the Falcons defense has been lacking and most of the teams in the playoffs excel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

You also need to pound the ball when you need to run the clock out.  We haven't had that since the early Turner days.  We need that back with a stout defense. Our offense (up in the air about the rushing attack) should fine. 

You need stout oline ..to do anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yes.  Even when healthy.

You are forgetting the pass rush.  This is where the Falcons defense has been lacking and most of the teams in the playoffs excel.

We too too soft upfront.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mattyicefalcon said:

We too too soft upfront.  

And last offseason when defensive line was a need what did Quinn do?

Let Poe, Clayborne, and Upshaw walk and draft a WR, CB, and one DT.

I may be simple but to me the math doesn't add up.

Quinn covering up for his mistake at OC hurting the team long term.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

We too too soft upfront.  

Yes, on both sides of the ball. I want junkyard meanness in the trenches...we don't have that with the exception of a player or two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Matt Lefleur should have never been let go!

Worst case, Raheem Morris could have called better plays being an ex coach.

Lmao.

So you would have brought in a rookie QB coach, or a DC? I rest my case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Yes, on both sides of the ball. I want junkyard meanness in the trenches...we don't have that with the exception of a player or two. 

Grady, Takk , Jake and Mack are ONLY 4 players who bring it on every play.

Rest no comments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

And last offseason when defensive line was a need what did Quinn do?

Let Poe, Clayborne, and Upshaw walk and draft a WR, CB, and one DT.

I may be simple but to me the math doesn't add up.

Quinn covering up for his mistake at OC hurting the team long term.  

I agree....but, honestly in hindsight its 20/20

I do not believe ANYONE in Falcons brass thought it could have got rhis worst.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Grady, Takk , Jake and Mack are ONLY 4 players who bring it on every play.

Rest no comments.

That's the four I would say as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

This is why nobody takes the Sark haters seriously. 

Empty back set on 3rd or 4th and short

Shovel pass to Coleman for loss of yards

Critical pass play in 4th qtr start FORCING it to Julio

That is why NO NFL DEFENSIVE Cordinator Had to game plan for Falcons offense.

It was like having a bye week.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

LOL...I’m always wrong so glad I lucked out on this one

JDaveG likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yes.  Even when healthy.

You are forgetting the pass rush.  This is where the Falcons defense has been lacking and most of the teams in the playoffs excel.

If we were one of the remaining 4 teams and had  last years defense, we would have the best defense of all the teams left.  

That same defense held Philly to 18 points Week one.  In their previous 23 games that defense allowed 18.6 ppg.  That’s the defense I expect to see in 2019 and it’s enough to win a SB

Edited by Falconsin2012
Summerhill likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25754896/most-exciting-nfl-final-four-ever-why-patriots-chiefs-rams-saints-2018-nfl-playoffs-case

 

According to Barnwell's article. These are the 4 best offenses in conference game history but they're also the 4 worst defenses in conference game history. I would be great to have both but right now it's more favored towards the offenses.

Falcons In 2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fernando C. said:

the 4 teams can run the ball.. Give me a 1 round DT and then 2 and 3 OL and a big splash OG..

Can’t start 2 rookies.  I’d prefer OG in FA and Tackle in draft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stryka said:

If Im not mistaken KC and NO have top 5 sack numbers.  Rams Im not sure but I think they are top 10-15 due to having Donald get 20 sacks this year on his own.  They go hand and hand as its usually offensive leads that lead to more sacks, its also sacks and turnovers that get the ball back to your offense so they can score.  What you see is top offenses along with complimentary defenses.  Pats not big sack numbers but they are tied with Rams for #3 in INTs.  They also have a bevy of guys who can get to the QB led by T. Flowers. Then you look at the OL.  The final four teams are all ranked in the top 7 of Sacks given up.  That's allows your defense to rest, offense to stay ahead of the sticks and indirectly leads to more points and potentially more sacks due to game situation.

Yeah these days total defense can be somewhat unnecessary but sacks, stops, and turnovers are huge. It really stinks to have so much money in Truffant who is usually pretty good in coverage but absolutely terrible at getting turnovers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stryka said:

If Im not mistaken KC and NO have top 5 sack numbers.  Rams Im not sure but I think they are top 10-15 due to having Donald get 20 sacks this year on his own.  They go hand and hand as its usually offensive leads that lead to more sacks, its also sacks and turnovers that get the ball back to your offense so they can score.  What you see is top offenses along with complimentary defenses.  Pats not big sack numbers but they are tied with Rams for #3 in INTs.  They also have a bevy of guys who can get to the QB led by T. Flowers. Then you look at the OL.  The final four teams are all ranked in the top 7 of Sacks given up.  That's allows your defense to rest, offense to stay ahead of the sticks and indirectly leads to more points and potentially more sacks due to game situation.

 

Turnovers, not sacks. Sacks have very little impact on the game. It's turnovers that make a huge difference in games.

Stryka and vel like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your defense doesn't have to be good. Just good enough to stop the other team more than they stop you.

 

Also seriously jealous that the Pats get to have a young creative offensive mind who no one will ever touch for a HC job again. Every other team, that guy gets poached.

Edited by HEIST
vitaman likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

If we were one of the remaining 4 teams and had  last years defense, we would have the best defense of all the teams left.  

That same defense held Philly to 18 points Week one.  In their previous 23 games that defense allowed 18.6 ppg.  That’s the defense I expect to see in 2019 and it’s enough to win a SB

No because last years defense was a different team.

The players were different and the teams they were playing were different.

People think just because a team did something last year that means they should be able to do it again this year.  If everything was exactly the same but that’s not the case.  Different players, different coaches, players age, opposing teams are different.

By your own logic last years team should have been able to rip through the Eagles because of the 2016 offense.  Wrong.  It doesn’t work that way.

Even if everyone would have stayed healthy the defense would have been closer to average because of the attrition up front and change in depth and rotational players.... oh yeah and the regression of both starting corners. 

The defense wasn’t going to be as good as people hoped.  Injuries just help mask that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now