FalconsIn2012

4 Remaining Playoff Teams Have 1 Thing In Common

82 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Falcanuck said:

The last 4 remaining teams have the 4 most creative and unique play-callers in the NFL. They adapt and actively scheme their players to success. Coaching is why they are where they are. 

Yup.  It’s why my last sentence was “Koetter, you got this”

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Offense.  We need a DT, but let’s keep building our offensive unit.  The top 4 scoring offenses are the last remaining teams.  Guess offense wins.  You got this Koetter!!!!

1 Kansas City 35.1.             
2 LA Rams 32.8          
3 New Orleans 30.8          
4 New England 28.1

Interesting stats --- I didn't realize it.  It seems like in the past, teams with the better defense, won the ultimate prize!  But I guess, in this age of superstar QBs and receivers, it's teams with the better offense that are winning. 

So, "the times are a changing"... 

5 minutes ago, FalconJim said:

Interesting stats --- I didn't realize it.  It seems like in the past, teams with the better defense, won the ultimate prize!  But I guess, in this age of superstar QBs and receivers, it's teams with the better offense that are winning. 

Yea but not so much.  You still have to be able to run the ball, stop the run and get to the QB in this league. A quick look at those teams defenses tells a better story.  Eagles were #1 stopping run last year, elite again this year.  KC runs up scores but also can run the ball which effectively stops other teams from being on the field. NO and LA both have elite RBs and DLs that get sacks and penetrate to stop the run.  The formula to win in the NFL will never change. You get more outliers and team can adapt but Stopping the run, running the ball and getting affecting the QB will always get you in the mix.

FalconJim likes this

17 minutes ago, FalconJim said:

Just a few short years ago we were all gushing over the broncos and Seahawks defenses. Times aren't changing, just no team really has a dominant defense at the moment. Parkey doesn't shank that kick and this thread doesn't exist. 

FalconJim, Ergo Proxy and Stryka like this

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

An OG & RT is all the offense requires

No more half measures.  

We need two starting guards and a starting RT.  We also need some 2nd stingers who can come in and play a few games or the rest of the season.   

FalconsIn2012 likes this

36 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

And that’s exactly where we were in 2016; just our moves/investments at OG haven’t been replaced and then RT has fallen well below the contract extension.

Free got his extension and injuries mounted ending last year and this season. Look at how easy it is for Brees with an OL giving him time and Kamara being such a high caliber outlet option as a receiver due to not having to block because OL is good.

Pretty much. Without the injuries to the defense, sinking them to unbearable levels, this was a playoff team again.

Fix the right side of the OL at minimum and they're back scoring ~30 routinely. Think about how much the NFL changed in just two seasons. We led the league with a dominating, historic offense, scoring 540 points at a baffling pace. We were the only team to score >500 points in 2016 and 2017. Fast forward to 2018 and you see three teams that have scored over 500 points and it's not even discussed as some crazy or insane occurrence like it was in 2016. And it's not a coincidence the teams who scored the most points in the league are the last teams standing. Meanwhile the teams who gave up the least points are sitting at home. 

10 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Saints D was the main reason Aints won yesterday. They shut down Eagles for almost 3 Qtrs.

Their O was also able to play a controlled game and still get points tho. That was imperative to controlling the game at the end with TOP swinging in their favor so far.

We know of Eagles RZ D so not surprising Saints struggled some; their run game was enough save for the Ingram run. 

Biggest difference was Eagles O vs the Saints D no doubt. It’d be great for us to have that control offense we tried becoming in 2017 with better scoring results(read never having the RZ troubles appear).

2 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

The last 4 remaining teams have the 4 most creative and unique play-callers in the NFL. They adapt and actively scheme their players to success. Coaching is why they are where they are. 

Most creative.....what is that in Falcons ball club?

Cover 3 zone defense.

Enpty back sets on 3rd or 4th and short.

Outside shovel pass to Coleman for loss of yards.

Alford as starting C.B.

Hardy returning punts.

In critical moments throw the ball to Julio...after abandoning him most game.

FalconJim likes this

Just now, R_The_Great said:

An Identity?

Embrace the suck = Brotherhood

Thats our identity!

Win meaningless games.

Throw garbage yards to pad up stats

And lose in Embarrassing fashion in must win games...

Thats most consistent with this ball club in past decade.

6 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Most creative.....what is that in Falcons ball club?

Cover 3 zone defense.

Enpty back sets on 3rd or 4th and short.

Outside shovel pass to Coleman for loss of yards.

Alford as starting C.B.

Hardy returning punts.

In critical moments throw the ball to Julio...after abandoning him most game.

Yeah, it’s sad to see people paid millions to coach football display a complete lack of any sort of evolution, advancement or adaptation. The cover 3 bit has lost so many teams games it’s crazy. If you don’t have the PERFECT personnel to run it, you are giving up easy yards. The Eagles would’ve won last night had they switched to man with bracket coverage on Thomas to start the second half. 

6 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

If we just followed Patriots blue print of scouting and coaching......Ryan would have back to back Lombardis.

Easier said than done

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

You need both.  And notably, all four teams have good defenses.

Honestly, I think the Rams are well situated to beat the Saints.  I'd hope the Chiefs are as well (I like their defense), but the Patriots are ranked higher in PPG and their offense is really, really solid.  I hope for 2 opposite game plans:

1)  KC/NE -- KC needs to score early and often and put New England behind the 8-ball needing to score to win.

2)  LA/NO -- LA needs to run the ball down their throats and keep the offense on the sidelines, making them more one-dimensional.  They also need to let those big DTs eat -- Brees hates having pressure up the middle.

I mean only NO is in the top 20 in total defense.  Everyone else is right around us.  

3 hours ago, osiruz said:

Which is why Sarkosuchus needed to be let go, 19 points football wasn't going to cut it. DQ was smart enough to realize that our offense carried us to our SB berth. We need to hit the trenches hard more than anything else and fix the right side of the OL. Draft a DT in the first round and go guar / tackle in the second and sign some really good FA tackles and guards.

"DQ was smart enough to realize that our offense carried us to our SB berth." 

Then why did he bring in Sark as OC?  Quinn must not be too smart. 

23 minutes ago, nomak said:

"DQ was smart enough to realize that our offense carried us to our SB berth." 

Then why did he bring in Sark as OC?  Quinn must not be too smart. 

Who else would you have brought in 2017? There wasn't anyone available.

40 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I mean only NO is in the top 20 in total defense.  Everyone else is right around us.  

I came here to post these and prove you wrong:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2018&seasonType=POST&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team

Then I double-checked and realized I was looking at post-season stats :(

FalconsIn2012 likes this

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Easier said than done

When you want to make billions as a ball club...one better figure it out and make it happen! 

9 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Who else would you have brought in 2017? There wasn't anyone available.

Matt Lefleur should have never been let go!

Worst case, Raheem Morris could have called better plays being an ex coach.