mdrake34

True Detective Season 3 Spoilers Thread

78 posts in this topic

On 1/29/2019 at 4:57 PM, AF89 said:

I skip  most of the Hayes family and dating scenes on the rewatch tbh

yep

I hate to say it but past the freaky hate sex the Hayes appear to only be together by virtue of being the only two black people on the white side of town. They are absolutely miserable from the get go. Even the dating scenes in the 80s there's like a tension of how different they are. The kids are like thier only glue from going full domestic on each other. In fact the danger seems to be thier biggest thrill.

mdrake34 likes this

They kinda mirror Woody Harlson's family in the 1st season but Hayes has a darker edge to it  (do not mean that as a race pun) and he's less personally weak but that kinda makes him come off as more as an unforgiving ***

mdrake34 likes this

14 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

Really enjoying Stephen Dorff.

He's great in all three timelines.  Crown Royal is an interesting choice for his preferred niff in his morning coffee for an Arkansas cop, but that stuff has always been a redneck status symbol like Yeti coolers.

Just now, mdrake34 said:

He's great in all three timelines.  Crown Royal is an interesting choice for his preferred niff in his morning coffee for an Arkansas cop, but that stuff has always been a redneck status symbol like Yeti coolers.

Crown and ginger is my go-to drink. Vl7frCW.png

mdrake34 likes this

1 minute ago, Billy Ocean said:

Crown and ginger is my go-to drink. Vl7frCW.png

I love crown and ginger, I have a bottle at home now.  I've just always observed people in my neck of the woods treating it as some holy grail of whiskys, probably because of the purple bag.  There's better stuff out there, but it's very drinkable and blends well. 

I've been drinking scotch on the rocks forever, but I've recently started drinking decent (what would normally be a $40+ bottle at most liquor stores, usually $26-30 at my buddies upscale liquor store that stocks such large quantities they have the best prices in town) bourbon on the rocks.  My wife got me a silicon square block ice cube tray for christmas, it's a game changer.  I generally like Woodford, but am enjoying a bottle of Buffalo Trace.

Best-Ice-Cube-Trays-2-Large-Silicone-Pac

Billy Ocean likes this

If I'm at a restaurant or a hotel bar I'll order an old fashioned. If I'm at a dive bar or strip club I go with Crown 'n ginger.

6 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

If I'm at a restaurant or a hotel bar I'll order an old fashioned. If I'm at a dive bar or strip club I go with Crown 'n ginger.

You drink old fashioneds with bourbon or rye? I’ve started drinking them with rye, helps balance the sweetness. 

Old Fashioneds are classy af. 

6 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

Thomas Jane and Garret Headlund were the two other actors in the final running to play Roland West. Dorff said he used the tragedy of his brother's untimely death as inspiration for the part. 

5 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

You drink old fashioneds with bourbon or rye? I’ve started drinking them with rye, helps balance the sweetness. 

Old Fashioneds are classy af. 

Bourbon or Canadian whiskey. I've only had rye a couple times and I didn't like the taste.

mdrake34 likes this

9 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

I've only had rye a couple times and I didn't like the taste.

It's an acquired taste.  This is still one of my favorite scenes from Mad Men.  He uses a bottle of Old Overholt Bonded Rye, which is what I've got at the house.

Billy Ocean likes this

While it doesn’t have quite the same mystique as season one, and as great as Ali and Dorff are they don’t have quite the chemistry as Rust and Cohle, this season is almost as good as season 1. This is **** good tv. 

dmite likes this

So it looks like the Hoyt family was running some type of child sex ring and the mom was in on it. 

The only bit of suspense left is the "horrible thing" that Old Roland alluded to that they did and Hays can't remember.

3 hours ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

So it looks like the Hoyt family was running some type of child sex ring and the mom was in on it. 

The only bit of suspense left is the "horrible thing" that Old Roland alluded to that they did and Hays can't remember.

Looks like Purple is burning his clothes in the next epidode preview (and as seen in the opening credits where in past seasons they also dropped images into the opening theme that sorts previewed the story)

I'm guessing Harris James kills the the dad, and the detectives off him and either Hoyt people have killed cousin/uncle or the detectives have but they walk away with scant evidence so they covered thier tracks and walked away calling it extrajudicial justice.

Unless of course it's all another red herring like the peephole

Also starting to wonder if the whole sedan thing was a test Roland just failed and Hayes is maybe using his dementia to see how upfront his former partner is being with him. I think maybe he plays it up sometimes.

Like I dont think hes in on the initial conspiracy per say but there's something definitely off with Roland. Hayes was confused that the social person he remembered was living in such an isolated place and that he didn't particularly like dogs (clearly they serve as his early alarm system in case of visitors but for who).

Part of me also wants to focus in on the idea that Hayes thought Roland had a girl (perhaps the one we met at the super awkward dinner). Like did the writers just throw that in to show how separated the two had become?  At first I wondered if Roland might have since found out he was gay and had been over compensating in his 80s character but with the cat out of the bag on Tom (unless the two bonded over it, I mean they didn't necessarily have to be lovers) I'm shelving that they'd play that card twice. 

But I still can't shake that line about not having a wife or girlfriend. Like maybe he did have an ex and the "they" are holding that over his head somehow to get him to leave them alone and even use him. 

I'm spitballing of course

So kinda spoilerly but we've already been given this clue , I'll tag it anyway

So because of the first two seasons we've been trained to keep an eye out for ancillary characters the camera lingers on. In this episode we had the groundskeeper or gardner outside the place where the nuns were keeping those girls. 

Well I dug into it , found some still pictures and the name on the van truck "Ardoin" that it's the last name of Julies little friend that had a crush on her and waved as the children biked away.

fwg7tsruuuf21.jpg

Obviously he's not the killer, but I'd bet my gambling account he knows where she's hiding

I'm not convinced Hays and West killed either Dan or Harris now.  I think the Hoyts could easily decide those two are loose ends that need to be tied up.  For what's going on in 2015 to make sense, I've got to assume they don't connect the Hoyts in 1990. 

2 hours ago, AF89 said:
  Hide contents

Sounds like Michael Rooker (Guardians of the Galaxy,  Walking Dead) might be playing the Hoyt patriarch

Michael Rooker will always be Rowdy Burns in Days of Thunder. 

mdrake34 likes this

12 hours ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Michael Rooker will always be Rowdy Burns in Days of Thunder. 

He’s always been the stepdad/gameshow host from Mallrats for me.