Falcons Fan MVP

Have you ever wished you would have never became a Falcons fan?

92 posts in this topic

Nope, the thought never crossed my mind and I've been a fan since the '70s. Even after 1980 (the original that game). Even after the dark ages of Henning and Marion Campbell in the mid-late '80s. Even after Eugene's fantastic voyage and that game a couple of years ago. 

They're the only NFL team I've ever known. The old AFCS was one of the few places that my Dad and uncles could take me to and not have to temper their language or behavior on the behest of others. I still remember the times of going with them to Steak 'N Ale after a win (few and far between but still) and getting to eat one of those artery clogging behemoths with a baked potato and other stuff. Those were fun times that I couldn't have being a Broncos or a Steelers fan unless, of course, we were living in Denver or Pittsburgh.

This is going to be our most trying time yet, as we are literally on the verge of seeing our archrival and the very team who benefited the most from that game play in our back yard in a couple of weeks. We'll be besieged with 'Who Dat' and that score posts in all directions, to the delight of everyone else in the national media who can't stand our city for what would look like an eternity. But at the end of the day, this too shall pass and life will go on. And I will still look forward to that one day of redemption when hopefully, Arthur finally holds up that Lombardi trophy in celebration. In fact, this makes me long for that day coming even the more... 

Edited by ratesforless
BirdFan33 likes this

Never. I have wished my Falcons were more like other teams but never wished I never became a Falcon. The lessons ive learned being a falcon fan are invaluable. I dont know where my anger management would be if I didnt get so much practice with my Falcons. Lol. 

Its been rough. Ive only been a fan 25 years so for the guys who were fans in 60s 70s and 80s. It had to be brutal. Thing is I think its worse now because we often get high expectations for these guys only to be pushed off a cliff. At least back then we didnt expect much. 

2 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Yes, I wish I was born in another state so I could be a sports fan of another group of teams.

I love sports I have no ties or pull to any other sports teams so it doesn't make sense to just pick random teams to root for. I was born here so I'm stuck with these losers.

Over my life I've grown to loathe all GA sports teams. They are just horrible, they always choke and only do well to lull you into having hope so they can crush you in a more painful way at a later time.

If it were up to me the Falcons, Hawks and Braves would be shipped to other cities and we'd start over with expansion teams. This worked out pretty well with GA United.

So yea I hate our sports teams and want them gone.

This explains a lot about you. You aren't a true fan at all. Just *****ing just to ***** constantly about anything and everything.

JDaveG and Francis York Morgan like this

2 minutes ago, ratesforless said:

Nope, the thought never crossed my mind. Even after 1980. Even after the dark ages of Henning and Marion Campbell in the mid-late '80s. Even after Eugene's fantastic voyage and that game a couple of years ago. 

They're the only NFL team I've ever known. The old AFCS was one of the few places that my Dad and uncles could take me to and not have to temper their language or behavior on the behest of others. I still remember the times of going with them to Steak 'N Ale after a win (few and far between but still) and getting to eat one of those artery clogging behemoths with a baked potato and other stuff. Those were fun times that I couldn't have being a Broncos or a Steelers fan unless, of course, we were living in Denver or Pittsburgh.

This is going to be our most trying time yet, as we are literally on the verge of seeing our archrival and the very team who benefited the most from that game play in our back yard in a couple of weeks. We'll be besieged with 'Who Dat' and that score posts in all directions, to the delight of everyone else in the national media who can't stand our city for what would look like an eternity. But at the end of the day, this too shall pass and life will go on. And I will still look forward to that one day of redemption when hopefully, Arthur finally holds up that Lombardi trophy in celebration. In fact, this makes me long for that day coming even the more... 

1980 sucked. I can't stand Danny White or Drew Pearson to this day. SMH

ratesforless likes this

1 minute ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

1980 sucked. I can't stand Danny White or Drew Pearson to this day. SMH

Me neither. Seeing either of them on TV or even being mentioned in passing still sends an ice cold shiver down my spine. And as you probably know, guess where the Super Bowl was held that season? That's right, New Orleans.

All Roland Lawrence had to do was turn the **** around. Man, it sucks being a sports fan in this town...

After the SB I can definitely tell you I care a whole lot less about the team’s success. Definitely will never not be a fan. But I truly am not nearly as invested as a fan anymore. Helps that the Leafs are good lately. 

MAD597 likes this

It's not as if I ever had a choice. I was born a fan of all of Georgia's sports teams. I have no recollection of ever "choosing" anything. It's just seemingly in my DNA, and the idea of just picking some other random team and making them my team is a concept I just don't get. 

When I was an adolescent I "tried" to become a fan of Notre Dame and Miami Dolphin football, and it just never took. Over the years I have come to like some other colleges and sports franchises, but it has never been anything like the Falcons (Braves, Flames, Thrashers, Dawgs, et al).

This was the family I was born into, and I can't just turn off that feeling. It is what it is.

MAD597 likes this

3 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

IMO this is the biggest mistake people make. There is no written rule stating that you SHOULD cheer for the home team. If that was the case half the population would be miserable. I have no reason to root for any team other than the Falcons in the state of Georgia and don't care if anyone dislikes it. i have never understood why people feel that they are supposed to cheer for the home team.

I have not been able to have ANY compelling pull for any other sports team on a consistent basis, mostly due to the fact I was raised and born here, and just have no other ties to other teams in any particular way. Maybe I could pull for teams in Los Angeles cause I lived their a few summers as a teenager and enjoy my time their but really I've tried and I got nothing out of it.

The concept of just randomly picking some sports team to root for seems really silly to me. Yeah I'll be a Patriots, Golden State, And Red Sox fan woo hoo!!!! All winners all the time!!!

That seems silly. I just wished our local teams weren't suck **** ups in every possible way, that wouldn't be to hard to ask for would it?. And considering Ga United was an expansion team and won in their second year I really like the idea of wiping the slate clean with all our major sports teams here and starting over. Only the Braves have any historical significance with Hank Arron and ONE championship but those were a really long time ago.

Ship them away, Send the Falcons to St Louis and the Hawks to Seattle maybe the Braves to Tennessee or something. These teams plain suck their history sucks and are a waste of everyone's time and emotion.

Nope, never regretted being a Falcons fan!  I just remember how excited we were to finally have an NFL team in this city. 

There's been a lot of ups and downs, for sure --- but my memories of watching the Falcons with my Dad, either in person, or on TV, are some of my fondest memories. 

He died a Falcon fan, and I will certainly do the same...  

ratesforless likes this

1 hour ago, EJmusic said:

This explains a lot about you. You aren't a true fan at all. Just *****ing just to ***** constantly about anything and everything.

F you, I've been a fan since the late 70's of all Ga sports teams and have been through a ton of crap following them so bite me. At some point the futility of the time and effort wasted hits you. You can only see so many devastating loses with Zero pay off decade after decade before you start to just say F it this is not worth it anymore. Any sane person would eventually want to stop getting bashed over the head time and time again.

Look at what we've been through in just the last few years? Hawks blow a season of domination in 2015, 2016 Falcons have the most epic collapse in Super Bowl history, 2017 Dogs blow a huge lead against Alabama, 2018 Braves barely score a run in the playoffs.

It's like a succession of epic failure just to piss off the fanbase.

48 minutes ago, TheUsualStuff said:

It's not as if I ever had a choice. I was born a fan of all of Georgia's sports teams. I have no recollection of ever "choosing" anything. It's just seemingly in my DNA, and the idea of just picking some other random team and making them my team is a concept I just don't get. 

When I was an adolescent I "tried" to become a fan of Notre Dame and Miami Dolphin football, and it just never took. Over the years I have come to like some other colleges and sports franchises, but it has never been anything like the Falcons (Braves, Flames, Thrashers, Dawgs, et al).

This was the family I was born into, and I can't just turn off that feeling. It is what it is.

Yep it is what it is, feels silly to me to just pick a team to follow. At some point though for me I just may abandoned sports if our lame *** local teams can't get their **** together after 50 + years of them being in this city/state.

A friend of mine that I met on our superbowl run in Spokane and me had a quite a few talks. With his job, he knew a lot of the people I knew as I was from a small town. We had only met on the forum before I went up to a local establishment and we watched a game as a group of seahawk fans. The following year I went to the game in San Diego and the day before the game he passed away. He saw our Seahawks win the Owl. My fan ship may have sailed for the game as it is almost unwatchable as I have better things to do with my life. I may watch a game or so but that is in the future and we never know about those things. The game we watched was Seattle at New Orleans on Monday night football. Wierd eh? 

30 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

I have not been able to have ANY compelling pull for any other sports team on a consistent basis, mostly due to the fact I was raised and born here, and just have no other ties to other teams in any particular way. Maybe I could pull for teams in Los Angeles cause I lived their a few summers as a teenager and enjoy my time their but really I've tried and I got nothing out of it.

The concept of just randomly picking some sports team to root for seems really silly to me. Yeah I'll be a Patriots, Golden State, And Red Sox fan woo hoo!!!! All winners all the time!!!

That seems silly. I just wished our local teams weren't suck **** ups in every possible way, that wouldn't be to hard to ask for would it?. And considering Ga United was an expansion team and won in their second year I really like the idea of wiping the slate clean with all our major sports teams here and starting over. Only the Braves have any historical significance with Hank Arron and ONE championship but those were a really long time ago.

Ship them away, Send the Falcons to St Louis and the Hawks to Seattle maybe the Braves to Tennessee or something. These teams plain suck their history sucks and are a waste of everyone's time and emotion.

That's your own fault. You chose to be loyal to Georgia. No one forced you

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

That's your own fault. You chose to be loyal to Georgia. No one forced you

I did not choose to be born here and I think it's totally silly to just pick a sports team to root for that you have no emotional or vested interest in.

If I wasn't a Falcons fan then I wouldn't be a fan of football at all. Being from Atlanta, the Falcons were the first professional team that I gravitated toward. I do not envy other cities or teams, and I'm perfectly happy with being a Falcons fan even if they suck and I have to badmouth them as a result. It is entertainment afterall, and nothing more.

Edited by 4dabirds
Francis York Morgan likes this

36 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

F you, I've been a fan since the late 70's of all Ga sports teams and have been through a ton of crap following them so bite me. At some point the futility of the time and effort wasted hits you. You can only see so many devastating loses with Zero pay off decade after decade before you start to just say F it this is not worth it anymore. Any sane person would eventually want to stop getting bashed over the head time and time again.

Look at what we've been through in just the last few years? Hawks blow a season of domination in 2015, 2016 Falcons have the most epic collapse in Super Bowl history, 2017 Dogs blow a huge lead against Alabama, 2018 Braves barely score a run in the playoffs.

It's like a succession of epic failure just to piss off the fanbase.

You were a fan. You aren't anymore. Fair to say? You want them to leave Georgia so you don't have to "root" for them anymore. Bashed in the head? It's a game. Nothing more than that. The loss doesn't carry past the final whistle for me. (The Superbowl stung for a few days) there are more important things in life.

Francis York Morgan likes this

2 hours ago, Stryka said:

Never. I have wished my Falcons were more like other teams but never wished I never became a Falcon. The lessons ive learned being a falcon fan are invaluable. I dont know where my anger management would be if I didnt get so much practice with my Falcons. Lol. 

Its been rough. Ive only been a fan 25 years so for the guys who were fans in 60s 70s and 80s. It had to be brutal. Thing is I think its worse now because we often get high expectations for these guys only to be pushed off a cliff. At least back then we didnt expect much. 

LOL  thats so true LOL in the late 80's we'd start talking draft mid October. Now In the midst of the best 10 year run ever, but still waiting.

22 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

I did not choose to be born here and I think it's totally silly to just pick a sports team to root for that you have no emotional or vested interest in.

no it's silly to simply say "I'm from here so these are my guys"