Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2_legit_2_legit_2_quit

Atlanta’s identity

78 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

Atlanta doesn’t really seem to have an identity because it’s population is mainly transplants from other cities that still have allegiance to their hometowns. Maybe that’s why major sports don’t do well here.

Atlanta has no identity 

I've thought about this a lot. I think the closest thing we have to an identity as a city and team is *speed and swagger*. Atlanta is a fast town. Always has been. 

Other than '98 the most success we've had was in the Vick/Dunn years and in 2016 with Shanny's offense. Also a little with Deion and the '91 defensive secondary. Even the mascot implies speed. Fastest animal on earth.

This is not generally my style of football. I'm more running game and tough defense. But we will never be Pittsburgh or New England. Might as well accept what we are and be the best we can be.

55 minutes ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

Atlanta doesn’t really seem to have an identity because it’s population is mainly transplants from other cities that still have allegiance to their hometowns. Maybe that’s why major sports don’t do well here.

Atlanta has no identity 

Duh 

I think it has plenty since I was born and raised here. Probably just the transplants are not part of it, so they don't see it. We are a great sports town anyway with the best amenities as well.

ADAMSVILLE GYM likes this

1 hour ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

Atlanta has no identity 

Same as DC, Dallas, Miami, Houston, Vegas, LA, New York, and a few others.

Identities come from sustained success.  People are drawn towards winners.  Dallas, Green Bay and NE all have fans across the country because they built legacies and they remain even when the team isn't playing well.  Yes having a city with a high transplant ratio does make it harder to win over people but you got to start with sustained success first.

Atlanta has no identity 

Its mainly the large, economically thriving cities that have this issue. Economically thriving = opportunity = people coming from other places. I,am in the Houston area and have seen this first hand. Lots of,transplants from Michigan and Illinois. 

Places like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, and even Philly stay even keeled. I,mean seriously...when is the last time youheard someone say they couldn't wait to go to Green Bay or Pittsburgh.

citsalp likes this

The Braves have the seats full, Atlanta United has the seats full, The Atlanta Falcons have priced out the die hard fans who would be the ones in the stands 30 min before the game starts and scream the whole time. A lot of those kinds of people don't live near downtown and can't afford $160 per ticket and/or a PSL. I'm in the minority but thats the way it is. 

PokerSteve and Captain Falcon like this

1 minute ago, Sui_Generis said:

Its mainly the large, economically thriving cities that have this issue. Economically thriving = opportunity = people coming from other places. I,am in the Houston area and have seen this first hand. Lots of,transplants from Michigan and Illinois. 

Places like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, and even Philly stay even keeled. I,mean seriously...when is the last time youheard someone say they couldn't wait to go to Green Bay or Pittsburgh.

I actually have a friend who got a job in Pittsburgh and she loves it up there. Go figure.

Atlanta has no identity 

I disagree. I think if Quinn has done anything since he's been here is that he's given them the identity of "Brotherhood." Now, that may be starting to rub some, if not a lot of us the wrong way these days, but it still remains a fact. These guys play for each other, win or lose, and I don't believe the poor season has affected it much. 

Maximum The Hormone likes this

11 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Large cities with an abundance of corporate jobs will always have lots of transplants

Knight of God and Stryka like this

Just now, SoCalFalconFan said:

I disagree. I think if Quinn has done anything since he's been here is that he's given them the identity of "Brotherhood." Now, that may be starting to rub some, if not a lot of us the wrong way these days, it still remains a fact. These guys play for each other, win or lose, and I don't believe the poor season has affected it much. 

See the reason I think it is starting to rub some the wrong way is because we didn’t see it this season. I didn’t see guys playing for each other. I saw Trufant making business decisions. I saw OLinemen getting pushed around. But I didn’t see guys playing for each other.

PokerSteve likes this

5 minutes ago, 175_Ranger_Falcon said:

Vick fans will never fully embrace Matt Ryan

I agree with that statement. There are definitely people who hate Matt Ryan for racist reasons but that’s not the point of my original post

11 minutes ago, Sui_Generis said:

Having spent a good bit of time there myself, I can tell you that if you know what to do/where to go, Pittsburgh is actually a very cool city.

18 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I would say Dallas, Miami, and New York all have their own identities and don’t suffer with the problem like Atlanta does

Just now, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

See the reason I think it is starting to rub some the wrong way is because we didn’t see it this season. I didn’t see guys playing for each other. I saw Trufant making business decisions. I saw OLinemen getting pushed around. But I didn’t see guys playing for each other.

I hear what you're saying... I respect it. I don't agree with it, though. I don't believe Trufant was making business decisions, man. And I don't believe getting your butt kicked around in the trenches equates to a lack of brotherhood. It could simply mean that those guys were trying to block for new players, with different perceptions of each play and different attack angles. Tiny nuances affect this game, and they got it wrong a lot this season. I think it's easy to start questioning everything after a season like this. I don't see any reason to question the hearts of those guys, or their bond after struggling. That's not to say it's unprecedented. I'm just saying I don't see the evidence that would expose such a thing. 

10 minutes ago, 175_Ranger_Falcon said:

Vick fans will never fully embrace Matt Ryan

Even when clearly Matt has brought more success to this franchise, but since Vick was more polarized he is loved more.

I'm sorry but it sounds like you're blaming their failures on the fans and I believe that's silly.  Green Bay has a population of 100,000.  Atlanta has 6 million.  Our identity is we choke.  The Braves had the best pitching staff in the history of baseball and won one championship.  Not only that, every single one of their games were broadcast nationwide and in Canada.  The Falcons had the best team in the league in 2012 and 2016 and have very little to show for it.  The Hawks have always been mediocre at best, even in the Dominique years.