Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
osiruz

David Edwards OT Wisconson

19 posts in this topic

6-7

315 pounds

Athletic as heck with a nasty dispensation.

PROS: Is an absolute monster in the run game. Capable of blowing the doors open and producing large rushing lanes for the ball carrier. Effective in head up blocks to run the feet and roll hips through contact, isn’t reliant on double teams to physically dominate. Looming frame offers a lot of reach as well, has long arms and the ability to extend and ride rushers beyond the peak of the pocket when tested in pass sets. Has a splendid ability to detach on chip blocks and double teams to address a second level defender. Is a finisher, will walk opponents out of the frame completely and plays with tenacity through the whistle. Has impressive functional athleticism and is capable of sticking tight in the hip pocket of defensive linemen during cut-off reps and outside run looks.

CONS: A former tight end, Edwards arrived on campus at 240 lbs before packing on the pounds and transitioning to Right Tackle. As a result of transition, has some technical deficiencies that need to be address, most particularly a prominent false step in deep pass sets, which negates stride length and forces Edwards to pivot prematurely and offer a soft edge to pass rushers. Continued development on footwork is a key for Edwards entering 2018 season, where he could solidify himself as a top positional prospect in the country.

This kid can be had in the second round and he is as tall as a tree with arms for days. He would fit in perfectly in our ZBS scheme.

Wisconsin_logo.gif David Edwards*, OT, Wisconsin  
Height: 6-7. Weight: 315. 
Projected 40 Time: 5.44. 
Projected Round (2019): 2-3. 

1/5/19: Some team sources have been very down on how Edwards played in 2018. "He played like s--t," one AFC national scout texted me. They have given him grades on the second day of the 2019 NFL Draft and felt that he wasn't nearly as good as his 2017 performance. Edwards is a right tackle for the NFL. He should have returned to school to improve before going pro, but Edwards decided to enter the 2019 NFL Draft.  

Edwards is a quality run blocker who has strength and can manipulate defenders in the ground game. He does not have the feet, quickness or athleticism to be a left tackle in the NFL. Against BYU, Edwards really struggled to handle Corbin Kaufusi, getting bull rushed into the quarterback, knocked on his butt, and giving up some critical pressures late in BYU's road upset. He also had ugly performances against Michigan and Northwestern. 

3 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Being really tall and having poor technique is not a good combo for a lineman

Sounds like another Badger Gabe Carimi 

Edited by Cole World

18 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

He's projected in the early 2nd rd I think.

This is a good year to trade down, lots of good players available in the second.

Falconsin2012 likes this

11 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Honestly.....Peter Konz  came to mind

Yeah I'm hard pressed to draft another Wisconsin lineman after we got burned so badly with Konz. Man he sucked.

If the team wants nasty now, they are going to have to pay for it. I'm not knocking drafting, but they really have to do their homework and hit on these linemen picks.

No thanks. Go watch the Northwestern and Michigan games...I don’t see an upgrade over Schraeder...most OL look good agst undrafteble talent. Check the games agst actual guys that might sniff NFL snaps

Edited by Matt_The Iceman_Ryan
osiruz likes this

He's physical but so is Schraeder.  Schraeder rarely gets beat with power...he gets out run or outsmarted.  I like the film but I get a feeling he might be a year 2-3 player.   

12 hours ago, Cole World said:

Sounds like another Badger Gabe Carimi 

Rob Havenstein, travis frederick, and Kevin Zeitler were also on that line. It was our luck that we picked the bust.

24 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Apples and oranges though. Carimi was an OG who was moved to OT, Edwards is already playing OT at a high level, he just needs to work on his footwork. 

Carimi was Wisconsin LT. When he was coming out scout was projecting him as a G, but Chicago put him at RT.

52 minutes ago, Cole World said:

Carimi was Wisconsin LT. When he was coming out scout was projecting him as a G, but Chicago put him at RT.

Looks like he did a bit of both, he won the outland trophy for best interior OL. Still doesn't mean every badger will be a bust. We can all agree Frederick wasn't a bust, and neither is Havenstein.

36 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Looks like he did a bit of both, he won the outland trophy for best interior OL. Still doesn't mean every badger will be a bust. We can all agree Frederick wasn't a bust, and neither is Havenstein.

I’m not saying he will be bust because he went to Wisconsin so I’m not sure where you got that from. All I was saying is Carimi and Edwards compare.

Edit: and plus he replaced (LT) Joe Thomas when Thomas departed for the NFL.

Edited by Cole World

17 hours ago, Cole World said:

"He played like s--t," one AFC national scout texted me

Sounds like what Dimitroff always looks for in his high OL picks.