Falcons Fan MVP

Is there any chance Dirk Koetter will be a better fit for us than Gary Kubiak would have been?

58 posts in this topic

Just now, JDaveG said:

Those things are probably all true.  It is also true that Sean McVay would likely have more continuity with what we're trying to do.  Or Jay Gruden.  Or Andy Reid.

And none of those people want to coach here right now either.  That's the long and short of it and wishing for Kubiak isn't going to change it.  Kubiak doesn't want to be here.  I wish him the best and I think we made a great hire, that being the case.

Yeah that can be true. Jay, Andy and Sean due to them having jobs already. Gary does not have a coaching role currently.

But the question was asked by the OP. I answered. I did not "wish" for Gary in my post. Although in my mind and heart I silently wish for him.

9 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Yeah that can be true. Jay, Andy and Sean due to them having jobs already. Gary does not have a coaching role currently.

But the question was asked by the OP. I answered. I did not "wish" for Gary in my post. Although in my mind and heart I silently wish for him.

I think your answer ignores that Gary Kubiak is not interested in being the offensive coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons.  How do we know this?  We were blocked from interviewing him, and after we hired a coach, he decided to move on from the Broncos and go act in an admin role with the Vikings, where his son is the QB coach.  He could have told Elway "I want to interview with Atlanta."  He didn't.  He could have back-channeled that information to the Falcons.  He didn't.  He wants to help his son.  He's not trying to get back into coaching full time.

I mean, he was my number one choice.  But that stopped being the case once I realized we were not only not his number one choice, but in fact we aren't even on his radar.

So yeah, in a hypothetical world where Gary Kubiak is interested in this job and wants to come help us build a winner, sure he'd be a better option.  The biggest problem is we don't live in that world.  In the world we live in, where Koetter wants to coach here and Kubiak doesn't, Koetter is by far the best choice.

Ryan and Schaub understands Shanahan's offensive concepts in depth.  What's to say they can't incorporate the plays they liked best from that offense into Koetter's offense?

Falconsfan567 and JDaveG like this

7 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

Ryan and Schaub understands Shanahan's offensive concepts in depth.  What's to say they can't incorporate the plays they liked best from that offense into Koetter's offense?

That's exactly how I see this playing out.  They may keep the terminology too, but Koetter is still going to want to stretch the field vertically and open up the underneath stuff.  It's what he does.  He's not going to turn into a WCO coordinator.

But he already runs a lot of spread, which is kind of the same basic idea, so I can see him saying "instead of running spread looks, they like this play -- we'll run it."  Etc.

Da_Truth likes this

On 1/13/2019 at 10:34 AM, The Vent King said:

I’m wondering if being an OC that had such significant success that it landed him a HC position will make Dirk a better OC now that he is going back to that job.

I have to imagine being a head coach is way more taxing than being just the OC (especially with a knucklehead as your QB) and now being able to go back to a QB you are not only familiar with but one that has gone on to become an MVP since you last worked with him has to give Dirk a leg up on any OC we could hv brought in. 

Yea I was caught up in the “Hire Kubiak” hoopla too, but now after thinking about it maybe Dirk may have been the more logical choice after all. We don’t have time to waste with another lost season waiting for Matt to get familiar with another new OC and these two worked well together before.

If they can fix the o-line issues and DQ can get the defense back on track this may all work out better than we think.

This is how I feel.

Koetter was the clear choice if we want to give Matt Ryan what he needs to win a title for us. 

Now Quinn just has to do his thing with the defense.

On 1/14/2019 at 3:49 PM, JDaveG said:

This video makes a point I've been making about Koetter vs. Shanahan -- it's just 2 ways to do the same thing.  When we line up in 11 personnel, we're sending 2 receivers deep (sometimes 3), and it opens up the underneath (KC was letting us hit the deeper stuff early though, which is always gravy).

Shanahan, by contrast, would just pick, pick, pick that underneath scab until the defense loosened up and let you get a long one:

I just noticed this, I can't tell who that is but look at where his hand is!! :o

JDaveG likes this

1 hour ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

This is how I feel.

Koetter was the clear choice if we want to give Matt Ryan what he needs to win a title for us. 

Now Quinn just has to do his thing with the defense.

We need better OL's.