Falcons Fan MVP

Is there any chance Dirk Koetter will be a better fit for us than Gary Kubiak would have been?

58 posts in this topic

Many of us are very disappointed that Gary Kubiak is available as an offensive coordinator now that we have already committed to Koetter. Are there any reasons for us to be relieved that we got Dirk Koetter instead of Gary Kubiak? Will it be that big of a deal which one it is in a playoff environment? Do you think Koetter would have been hired regardless if Kubiak was available? Your thoughts?

Sidecar Falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sark ran the exact exact same as shanny ran.  It took ryan another year of failure,  then it started to work the second year. You have no reason to believe we will be fine.

And regardless with Kubiak, shanny, sark there is no clock management, change to the line,  or ryan in control, or even coming back within 2 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will know the answer to that question 12 months from now.  So let’s sit back and enjoy watching it all unfold.

But Kubiak was form about bringing Dennison with him.  For that reason alone I pass on Kubiak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes because he already knows what Matt likes and does not like. Kubiak would have to get to know Matt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dirk Koetter is fine.  I'd rather have someone Matt can work with, and knowing that they're on the same page is of extreme importance.  It'll be great to see Matt running no huddle and having more at-the-line control. 

People, in their minds, have just built Kubiak into a god because they think Kubiak = super bowl title because he won one.  It's not that simple. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Dirk Koetter is fine.  I'd rather have someone Matt can work with, and knowing that they're on the same page is of extreme importance.  It'll be great to see Matt running no huddle and having more at-the-line control. 

People, in their minds, have just built Kubiak into a god because they think Kubiak = super bowl title because he won one.  It's not that simple. 

No Kubiak has a proven track record of producing top 10 offenses - while running an offense that has the same nature as our 2016 offense - That's why people, including myself, were excited for the possibility of Kubiak. 

Definitely not because we thought it was a guaranteed SB title.

It is very easy to think that both Kubiak and Koetter could be beneficial for us. I don't have a problem with either of them and I don't have to knock Kubiak or any of his supporters to express that.

Truly not sure why we do that so much on here. Rico vs Kazee, Coleman vs Freeman, etc. 

To answer the OP, yes it's possible for Koetter to be the better option, not overall, because we can't deny Kubiak being a better OC, but better for the Falcons specifically. I think we can win a SB with either one of them as long as we fix the trenches.

Falconsfan567 and runshoot like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m wondering if being an OC that had such significant success that it landed him a HC position will make Dirk a better OC now that he is going back to that job.

I have to imagine being a head coach is way more taxing than being just the OC (especially with a knucklehead as your QB) and now being able to go back to a QB you are not only familiar with but one that has gone on to become an MVP since you last worked with him has to give Dirk a leg up on any OC we could hv brought in. 

Yea I was caught up in the “Hire Kubiak” hoopla too, but now after thinking about it maybe Dirk may have been the more logical choice after all. We don’t have time to waste with another lost season waiting for Matt to get familiar with another new OC and these two worked well together before.

If they can fix the o-line issues and DQ can get the defense back on track this may all work out better than we think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only time will tell. Kubiak scheme wise is closer to what we have been running, but maybe a little change is a good thing. Matt Ryan clearly has a comfort level with Koetter which is half the battle. 

runshoot likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Many of us are very disappointed that Gary Kubiak is available as an offensive coordinator now that we have already committed to Koetter. Are there any reasons for us to be relieved that we got Dirk Koetter instead of Gary Kubiak? Will it be that big of a deal which one it is in a playoff environment? Do you think Koetter would have been hired regardless if Kubiak was available? Your thoughts?

Relieved? It really depends on the person. A lot of people seem to be happy about Koetter. Needless to say that while I think Koetter is an average OC, he’ll be an upgrade over Sarkisian. However he’s a significant downgrade compared to Shanahan.

The people who are thinking we’ll have the same success offensively this upcoming season, as we did as our Super Bowl season are setting themselves up for disappointment. I think we see a slight uptick in offense but nothing major. 

Personally, I don’t like Koetter’s playcalling anymore than Sarkisian’s. There was a fair amount of terrible scheming and play calls when Koetter was here. I saw little to no adjustments in scheming as well. None more so than after the half. 

That being said, there are some pros to hiring Koetter back. He’s familiar with the players. He’s a better play caller than Sarkisian (not by a lot). The verbiage will be easier for a few players to pick up, since they are familiar with Koetter. 

The pros with Kubiak would have been a more solid understanding of the playbook we use. Vast more experience with championship quality games and playcalling. The ability to work autonomously, this would have been the biggest pro in my opinion since Quinn is pulling double duty next season.

 

No.11 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

Sark ran the exact exact same as shanny ran.  It took ryan another year of failure,  then it started to work the second year. You have no reason to believe we will be fine.

And regardless with Kubiak, shanny, sark there is no clock management, change to the line,  or ryan in control, or even coming back within 2 minutes.

Now you're just making ish up to support your DK agenda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I don’t think we have to have the same offensive success of ‘16 to win the SB. That’s what got us there then, but it’s not the only way. I personally believe if we are gonna get back there other things need to happen - 1) fixing the o-line 2) getting key players healthy and 3) improving our defense to a top ten level.

If we do those things, MVP2 and the offense will be the last thing we’ll need to worry about.

Just my opinion tho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

No Kubiak has a proven track record of producing top 10 offenses - while running an offense that has the same nature as our 2016 offense - That's why people, including myself, were excited for the possibility of Kubiak. 

Definitely not because we thought it was a guaranteed SB title.

It is very easy to think that both Kubiak and Koetter could be beneficial for us. I don't have a problem with either of them and I don't have to knock Kubiak or any of his supporters to express that.

Truly not sure why we do that so much on here. Rico vs Kazee, Coleman vs Freeman, etc. 

To answer the OP, yes it's possible for Koetter to be the better option, not overall, because we can't deny Kubiak being a better OC, but better for the Falcons specifically. I think we can win a SB with either one of them as long as we fix the trenches.

:huh:  I didn't "knock Kubiak" in my post.  Didn't say a single word "knocking" him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Now you're just making ish up to support your DK agenda.

Which part? You don't remember the opening drives that took time off the clock? You don't remember ryan changing plays? You don't remember ryan coming back within 2 minutes? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

Which part? You don't remember the opening drives that took time off the clock? You don't remember ryan changing plays? You don't remember ryan coming back within 2 minutes? 

Blame DQ for that. When Shanny was here, I remember the offense driving 90+ yards in 90 seconds or less and half-time adjustments being made.

And what do Sark and Shanny's failures have to do with Kubiak? So now you're claiming that everyone that runs similar offensive schemes to Shanny has the same issues? Sean McVay, Doug Pederson, Matt Nagy are all the same?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, octoslash said:

:huh:  I didn't "knock Kubiak" in my post.  Didn't say a single word "knocking" him.  

I said "....knock Kubiak OR any of his supporters"

Because you said "People, in their minds, have just built Kubiak into a god because they think Kubiak = super bowl title because he won one.  It's not that simple."

The above isn't even remotely close to why people wanted Kubiak here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DK kept MM offense and terminology and added his own in 2012. If he can do the same with WCO and add some wrinkles it may work better. The off season will be crucial and I hope players show up for OTA well before the camp.

No.11 and Knight of God like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole Kubiak thing was really weird. There was a lot of rumor and then Elway blocked him, then Elway let him go, then who knows what. Is his heart even in it? It all seemed weird to me.

papachaz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't matter because is all comes down to the OL.  We need better OL's and better OL coaching.  

Koetter, Sark, Mularkey, or Kubiak......it just doesn't matter.  

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now