Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
falcndave

Raheem Morris: On Second Thought...

16 posts in this topic

Unlike Quinn, who is invested in using coaching positions and professional development slots for his high-five buddies, Shanahan is on the other end of the teeter-totter. He is doing what gives  his team the best chance to win. Two different approaches. 

--Hops up on soapbox--

Why can't Morris coach DBs?  No one is sniffing him for an HC job anyway. Quinn, if you want to help you buddy get his next gig, put him in a spot where he is best equipped to success AND help the team win now. You have a preferred candidate at a position of coaching need. USE HIM!

The more I think about my 30 similar posts, I'm a little ashamed of negative vibe I'm raining down on Raheem Morris. I think Raheem Morris is a GREAT NFL coach. I think he may be an elite DB coach. As much as it hurts me to see our DB group playing below the level of its corrective talent, it is not wrong for Quinn to give Morris greater responsibilities as his resume clearly demonstrates that he has earned it. I'm officially off my Morris soapbox. Men who have earned additional roles and responsibilities should be rewarded with them. The WRs and passing game have been excellent under Morris' coaching. There is no reason to demote him for the good of one position group.

Maybe Mallory should be reporting to Morris with Quinn installed as the new DC? I just want the DBs fixed and i want Quinn to put winning first. I'm reconsidering my position that Quinn helping Morris build his resume is bad for the team on the field. As long as the group Morris has direct control of is playing well...Quinn is right and I am wrong. I sure as heck want my boss to help me build my resume by giving me new learning opportunities and additional responsibilities as I earn them. 

My previous position was way too myopic. I live and I learn. 

I was skeptical of him moving to coach WRs but as I posted in another thread, his position group is the most productive, most consistent and perhaps toughest.  He move there in 2016 and I dare anyone to say those guys aren't the most prepared on the team.  All those guys play their butts off and are crazy physical.  Also if you watch Morris on the sidelines, dude is like a player in his enthusiasm.   Throw in that he an DQ are really close, you can bet Morris is more than just a WR coach but DQ's eyes on the O when he can't be around.

1 hour ago, falcndave said:

The more I think about my 30 similar posts, I'm a little ashamed of negative vibe I'm raining down on Raheem Morris. I think Raheem Morris is a GREAT NFL coach. I think he may be an elite DB coach. As much as it hurts me to see our DB group playing below the level of its corrective talent, it is not wrong for Quinn to give Morris greater responsibilities as his resume clearly demonstrates that he has earned it. I'm officially off my Morris soapbox. Men who have earned additional roles and responsibilities should be rewarded with them. The WRs and passing game have been excellent under Morris' coaching. There is no reason to demote him for the good of one position group.

Maybe Mallory should be reporting to Morris with Quinn installed as the new DC? I just want the DBs fixed and i want Quinn to put winning first. I'm reconsidering my position that Quinn helping Morris build his resume is bad for the team on the field. As long as the group Morris has direct control of is playing well...Quinn is right and I am wrong. I sure as heck want my boss to help me build my resume by giving me new learning opportunities and additional responsibilities as I earn them. 

Morris has thrived as our passing game coordinator.  That’s why moving him off receivers and back to DB’s would be tough

Falconer89 likes this

1 hour ago, Monolith2001 said:

I was skeptical of him moving to coach WRs but as I posted in another thread, his position group is the most productive, most consistent and perhaps toughest.  He move there in 2016 and I dare anyone to say those guys aren't the most prepared on the team.  All those guys play their butts off and are crazy physical.  Also if you watch Morris on the sidelines, dude is like a player in his enthusiasm.   Throw in that he an DQ are really close, you can bet Morris is more than just a WR coach but DQ's eyes on the O when he can't be around.

I would certainly argue that the wide receiver group is one of the least prepared groups on the team.

We led the league in drops in 2017 and while that got better this year we still had way way too many mistakes from the position.

1 hour ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Sanu has definitely set the standard. I was hesitant of him coming here after bland years in Cincinnati.. But he's one of my favorite Falcons now. I honestly hope if he has a desire to stay a Falcon we keep Sanu. He definitely earns his paycheck 

When we signed him I was so bummed out! The free agent wrs that year appeared stacked and all anybody could talk about Sanu was how he didn't do a good job during the season aj Green went down, I figured he would come in and be a so so player but I wasn't excited in the least... But boy was I wrong I LOVE AGENT 12 on this team. 

Edited by AreJayDubya

49 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I would certainly argue that the wide receiver group is one of the least prepared groups on the team.

We led the league in drops in 2017 and while that got better this year we still had way way too many mistakes from the position.

Raheem was the WR coach in 2016 too when we had the 3rd least drops (6th in %) in the NFL.

Maybe he deserves another chance with an experienced OC running things.

1 hour ago, socalriseup said:

but the dropsies and wrong routes ran?

Even Hall of Famers drop passes.  Jerry Rice admitted to using  " stickum" to catch passes...

Image result for jerry rice stickum

Falconer89 likes this

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

Sound a little confirmation biasey.  Yeah we did have a lot of drops in 2017 but he's been WR coach for three seasons so you are cherry-picking if you throw out this year and of course the awesome 2016 campaign.  The mistakes this season were primarily our rookie who still was a ROY candidate.  Sanu was super solid and Julio was Julio.  I do not know what position group you are putting ahead of Raheem's WRs but I can say I would disagree with any answer you gave.

Falconer89 likes this

On 1/12/2019 at 10:12 AM, falcndave said:

... But.. Had the wr core really been great beyond typical Julio? Wrong routes and dropped balls and poor blocking execution killed alot of potential drives. That's his duty right? I mean short of going out there hisself of course.  (Sanu did have a career year hisself) 

Edited by Dirtybird3

4 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Sanu has definitely set the standard. I was hesitant of him coming here after bland years in Cincinnati.. But he's one of my favorite Falcons now. I honestly hope if he has a desire to stay a Falcon we keep Sanu. He definitely earns his paycheck 

Whole post reflects my exact opinion.

Julio is the leader and superstar...but Sanu is like the sergeant, doing everything he can to help this team win.

10 hours ago, Dirtybird3 said:

... But.. Had the wr core really been great beyond typical Julio? Wrong routes and dropped balls and poor blocking execution killed alot of potential drives. That's his duty right? I mean short of thing out there hisself of course.  (Sanu did have a career year hisself) 

Ridley had a killer year for a rookie.  He certainly made some rookie mistakes, but he performed above all reasonably considered expectations. When you look at things that went wrong this year, Morris is one of the few that should still have a job based on his units performance. All members of the passing game played at or above career norms. Not all position groups can say that. 

Dirtybird3 and Falconer89 like this

23 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

This and the WR still can’t beat man to man. I think 2016 was more Shanny being very specific on what he wanted from Receivers. Cleveland game on the side lines screaming on Raheem Morris for almost 2-3 Qtrs wasn’t a pleasant site.

Falconer89 likes this

21 hours ago, Dirtybird3 said:

... But.. Had the wr core really been great beyond typical Julio? Wrong routes and dropped balls and poor blocking execution killed alot of potential drives. That's his duty right? I mean short of thing out there hisself of course.  (Sanu did have a career year hisself) 

And how many times have you seen WR jogging routes. If I am the WR coach I would never let that happen over and over.

Falconer89 and lostnmexico like this