Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falconsin2012

Shanny Just Did Us A Solid & Blocked Elway

54 posts in this topic

Just put a smile on my face to see Shanny pulled an Elway today and blocked permission to interview 49ers QB Coach, Rich Scangarello for the Broncos now vacant OC  position.

I was hoping we’d at least interview him...future coaching stud.  Elway has to be pissed

“After deciding against making Gary Kubiak their offensive coordinator, the Denver Broncos wanted to interview San Francisco 49ers quarterbacks coach Rich Scangarello for the open position.

The 49ers have blocked the Broncos from interviewing Scangarello, though, according to a report from ESPN’s Adam Schefter. Even though it would be a job promotion for Scangarello, San Francisco is allowed to block him from talking to other teams because he is still under contract.

Scangarello appears to be an important part of Kyle Shanahan’s staff with the 49ers. Scangarello coached under Shanahan when the two coaches were with the Atlanta Falcons in 2015 and he followed Shannahan to the 49ers in 2017.

This news may put Denver in a bit of a dilemma because Scangarello was believed to be the team’s “preferred choice” for the job, according to KUSA-TV’s Mike Klis. Bill Musgrave, who was the team’s offensive coordinator last season, is not expected to be brought back.”

Edited by Falconsin2012

Reason I like Scangarello:

“In 2009, Shannahan’s passing system hit Scangarello like a thunderbolt. It was impressive, ingenious and meshed so well with Scangarello’s own ideas that he began adopting key components at the next stops in his career.

“I started to model my offense after his,” he said. “It’s what I always believed from afar. The truth is that I taught off of his film and he didn’t even know it for years.”

But to fully understand the offense, Scangarello, 44, realized he would have to work under Shanahan. So when a lowly offensive line position – an internship, really – became available in Atlanta, Scangarello jumped at the opportunity despite the minimum-wage salary and maximum-hours commitment.

The truth is it completed me in the cycle of knowing everything about this system,” he said. “… I really took the job in Atlanta for free, quite honestly. And I wasn’t afraid. I was willing to do the work and I really just wanted to be around coach Shanahan.”

Over the course of the Falcons’ 2015 season, Scangarello learned the details of the run game, the play-action fakes and the quarterback-keeper plays for which Shanahan is renown. He said the biggest difference between the West Coast offense he had been running in college and Shanahan’s system was the passing game.

“I would say the one thing I could truly appreciate beyond anything with coach Shanahan is that he’s trying to score on every single play he calls,” Scangarello said. “And I never thought that way as a play caller in the pass game. Sometimes I was thinking more about staying on schedule. And he was always thinking, ‘How can we attack the defense and create explosive (plays)?’ It really changed my mindset for the better.”

That also needs to be the mindset of the quarterbacks he will coach this year: They not only must be fearless when it comes to dealing with an oncoming pass rush, they have to have the guts to attempt big plays down the field.

Shanahan, meanwhile, said that during the 2015 offseason he quickly began to appreciate Scangarello’s appetite to learn.

“I thought he was just an O-line guy at first because I didn’t know him,” he said. “And then he starts asking me questions about plays I ran, like, six years ago. And I start to wonder, ‘Who is this guy?’ It was obvious he knows what he’s talking about, and now I’m interested. He learned it for himself, and that’s how good coaches are. They just don’t memorize what someone said. They want to know why it works, how to coach it, how players see it.”

Shanahan said he tried to get Scangarello to stick around for the Falcons’ 2016 season, too, but there were no assistant-coach openings and Scangerello was unwilling to spend another year renting someone’s spare bedroom. He went to Wagner College instead and ran that school’s offense.

“It would have been hard to stay another year,” he said. “It would have been a huge strain financially.”

“Of course,” he added with a smile, “if I had known they were going to the Super Bowl, I probably would have stayed.”

Edited by Falconsin2012

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Karma is a B..

I wonder if Rich is upset.  Shanny isn’t relinquishing playcalling duties.  Was a good opportunity for Rich if I’m being honest.  

falconfreak1 likes this

1 minute ago, gazoo said:

Trying to score on every play is awesome, except when you have the Super Bowl won if you just control the clock and blow it if you try to score!

Dirk is basically the same way, but he at least knows when to mash the gas and control the clock, which is what MM is good at too. the reason I like those hires so much. we need to take as much off the plate from Quinn that we can if he's gonna run the defense completely

Falconsin2012, gazoo and NeonDeion like this

I absolutely LOVED Shanny’s drive to score every play, it’s the mindset I want in an OC.

But yeah, once in a while, maybe a few drives per year, running the clock out might be the better approach! 

Live by the sword/ Die by the sword!

Id still take Shanny back in a heartbeat though, he was awesome. 

6 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I absolutely LOVED Shanny’s drive to score every play, it’s the mindset I want in an OC.

But yeah, once in a while, maybe a few drives per year, running the clock out might be the better approach! 

Try and score on every play, but still maintain some situational awareness

7 minutes ago, gazoo said:

The deal with Kyle's game plan being stole before the superbowl still gets under my skin. Idk if anything ever came from it, but it seems more than just a random snatch and run to me 

gazoo, capitan and rugger8 like this

That’s the main thing I disliked about Sark. He seemed content to get to 3rd and short and convert, Kyle called games like we had 2 downs to get 20 yards.

Honestly, I remember Koetter being the same way but meh...

18 minutes ago, Jesus said:

The 49ers suck. Shanahan was a one year wonder. Let those two crap teams wrestle over crappy coaches.

Kyle got 5,800 yards of offense out of his practice squad unit raped by injuries and a nice balance of run (13th) and pass (15th). 

$71,000,000 of their CAP was on IR at seasons end.

Edited by Falconsin2012

Just now, Jesus said:

31st in red zone offense and 15 TD passes and 4 wins. Hot stuff.

And an emergency 3rd string QB.

It’s ok to admire a coach who leaves your team to fulfill a lifelong dream.  Pitchforks and torches are not needed

3 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

And an emergency 3rd string QB.

It’s ok to admire a coach who leaves your team to fulfill a lifelong dream.  Pitchforks and torches are not needed

Of course they are. He's overrated. It's okay to realize that.

Flying Falcon likes this

18 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Of course they are. He's overrated. It's okay to realize that.

Welp...I guess Shanny is an overrated tool.  

Moving along...

Edited by Falconsin2012

50 minutes ago, gazoo said:

that's a mistake I don't see happening with Dirk.  

42 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

when Dirk had everything running at it's peak, I remember he liked to start fast in his scripted plays and try to build a lead. he also got a lot of feedback from the defense. if they felt they were on and could hold opponents offenses in check, he'd strike quickly, if they felt they needed a break then he'd slow it down which is why he needs a dependable RB or 2. 

Tandy, Falconsin2012 and gazoo like this

11 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

when Dirk had everything running at it's peak, I remember he liked to start fast in his scripted plays and try to build a lead. he also got a lot of feedback from the defense. if they felt they were on and could hold opponents offenses in check, he'd strike quickly, if they felt they needed a break then he'd slow it down which is why he needs a dependable RB or 2. 

Dirk was always lethal with his scripted offense.  Two of three years we were top 5 in 1st quarter points.  Also excited to see Ryan in no huddle again.

Edited by Falconsin2012
gazoo and NeonDeion like this

2 hours ago, gazoo said:

Trying to score on every play is awesome, except when you have the Super Bowl won if you just control the clock and blow it if you try to score!

If Jake Matthews doesn't get called on an absolutely abysmal holding penalty, Nobody is complaining about it.

Moments like that are why ppl say the NFL is rigged.

gazoo likes this

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Trying to score on every play is the reason we made it to the Super Bowl. 

Trying to score on every play is also the reason we lost Super Bowl!

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Dirk was always lethal with his scripted offense.  

exactly. Dirk either scores very quickly and tapers off, or he starts out slow then will burn up the scoreboard. if I'm not mistaken TB had the most 4th quarter points in the league or was around the top. the good thing about being here, in TB he had 2 mistake prone knuckleheads under center. Matt won't make those mistakes and it'll result in more points for us most likely.

Falconsin2012 and gazoo like this

15 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

Would have been nice to have a script for the last playoff game we were in against the Eagles. 

Man, I never want to be that frustrated again. Blow the Rams out in wildcard, totally dominate a stud defense, then following week can’t get a first down against Eagles and lose 10-14. That was a painful game.