Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thanat0s

Telling stat from Matt on 680

65 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Mike Smith couldn't win in the playoffs though.

Mike smith inherited a Franchise with qB in prison, previous HC ran out of town in middle of the night. Bill Parcells bailed out after agreeing to be the GM. 

I wanted Smitty gone but he overachieved with bunch of scrubs on a team he inherited. And Matt Ryan was a disaster in his first 2 playoff games. DQ underachieved and cost  a SB trophy with his incompetence. 

With Matt Ryan putting up MVP numbers, it won’t be hard for HC to ride a hot Offense deep in to playoffs  with good enough defense. 

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

10 hours ago, JBender said:

The only thing I see here is neither one of them won a Super Bowl, so neither of them are better than the other. Getting into the playoffs is nice and all but what is getting to the payoffs with out winning the big one. It is a moot point.

So Dan Marino isn't better than Trent dilfer.... Got it. 

Pacific_Falcon likes this

14 hours ago, treboyplay said:

Quick, name the Coach who never even got there in the first place. 

And this is coming from someone who liked Smitty a lot. But he was never taking the Falcons to the SB IMO. That’s clear to me now. 

If you were paying attention, it was fairly obvious early on that Smitty was a medium-ceiling guy. People forget how many times Ryan marched us down the field trailing in the 4th quarter because his D almost exclusively choked away leads and gave up a score late in the game (sound familiar)?

What is going to be interesting is to see how many playoff wins Quinn can rack up without Shanahan's offense blowing the doors off of other teams and making things easy on his defense. I don't think he's head coach material, his game management is atrocious, and it hasn't improved by now - hard to believe it ever will. I hope I am wrong but I think his ceiling is as a DC.

JDaveG likes this

Just now, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Outstanding. The Dilfer reference I use all the time when people on here complain that we need a different QB. There's been some pretty middling QB performances in the Super Bowl.

14 hours ago, treboyplay said:

I have a stat for Matt.

1st 4 years. 

Dan Quinn 3-2 in the playoffs

Mike Smith 0-3. 

Probably had nothing to do with the talent and experience on the field. Is Matt Ryan better, or is Quinn just carrying him in the playoffs?  

18 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

This is ********. If it wasn't for DQ, Shanny wouldn't ever be in Atlanta. If it wasn't for DQ and his generally aggressive coaching tactics, the team wouldn't be lighting up the scoreboard and blowing teams out by the 3rd quarter.

quinn had nothing to do with the offense, hiring someone is fine but doing the actual job is another 

It should be noted the aggressive play calling worked, as Sanu caught the pass for the first down. They called it back due to a hold on Jake Matthews, but ignored Sanu getting facemasked. 

22 hours ago, thanat0s said:

He was comparing Quinn's first four years to Smith's. Smith was 30-13 in one score games. Quinn is 20-20. Most stats don't impress me too much. These are remarkable numbers in a league where winning margins are so thin. It also probably explains why our win totals suffer when we aren't setting offensive records.

Why is that a Ryan stat rather than a defense stat? In 10 of those losses, defense gave up a lead or allowed a score when tied.

11 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

If you want to look at it that way then I ask "who won a Superbowl?" With that being said there is a difference between a player with talent and a coach. Yes Marino is better than Dilfer. However I must ask what the goal is here. Do we want 3 seasons with a super bowl win among them or do we want 3 seasons going to the playoffs every year with out a Superbowl? I am not saying Smitty is better than DQ. I am saying neither of them have a Superbowl win so neither of them are better than the other. If DQ wins a Superbowl then DQ is better.

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

34 minutes ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

Smitty would have run the ball and the clock with a 25-point Superbowl lead.

Smitty didn't call offensive plays and neither does quinn.... 

3 hours ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

Smitty would have run the ball and the clock with a 25-point Superbowl lead.

Yep. And he would have abandoned the pass at halftime, and we’d have blown that 25 point lead one quarter earlier. 

Smitty's motif was to keep games close with ball control and defense and win late by not making mistakes. It was the Belichek "bleed the clock dry and kick a field goal" method he used early in his tenure.

But you notice even Belichek moved away from that as rules were changed and offenses got more explosive. He got much more aggressive, piling up scores and going for it on 4th down early.

Quinn is more in this mindset. But there are a couple problems. He hasn't yet had the defense, and Ryan is not a "step on their throat" type QB. He tends to get a little complacent or lose focus or something when we get a 10-17 point lead. This has been consistent his entire career, the "3rd quarter coma" as my son and I call it.