Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thanat0s

Telling stat from Matt on 680

65 posts in this topic

He was comparing Quinn's first four years to Smith's. Smith was 30-13 in one score games. Quinn is 20-20. Most stats don't impress me too much. These are remarkable numbers in a league where winning margins are so thin. It also probably explains why our win totals suffer when we aren't setting offensive records.

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

3 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

He was comparing Quinn's first four years to Smith's. Smith was 30-13 in one score games. Quinn is 20-20. Most stats don't impress me too much. These are remarkable numbers in a league where winning margins are so thin. It also probably explains why our win totals suffer when we aren't setting offensive records.

That just goes to Smitty's philosophy of not beating yourself with stupid penalties and not turning the ball over.

Those are two areas where Mike Smith was a far far better Coach than Dan Quinn is

2 minutes ago, treboyplay said:

I have a stat for Matt.

1st 4 years. 

Dan Quinn 3-2 in the playoffs

Mike Smith 0-3. 

Quick. Name the coach cost who directly and specifically cost his team a championship through his incompetence in the super bowl...

6 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

That just goes to Smitty's philosophy of not beating yourself with stupid penalties and not turning the ball over.

Those are two areas where Mike Smith was a far far better Coach than Dan Quinn is

True. He had his own failings, but those weren't among them.

2 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Quick. Name the coach cost who directly and specifically cost his team a championship through his incompetence in the super bowl...

Bill Bellichek for not starting his best corner and trying to run Philly special with slow *** Brady?

7 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Quick, name the Coach who never even got there in the first place. 

And this is coming from someone who liked Smitty a lot. But he was never taking the Falcons to the SB IMO. That’s clear to me now. 

Edited by treboyplay

6 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

And let's all be honest here. Shanny and the guys on offense built that record more than the head coach. 

Quinn built the staff, hired and stuck with Kyle when MANY ppl wanted him fired. He ran the defense down the stretch that elevated the team in the playoffs. He deserves that credit but ppl try to take that away from him. 

Being able to hire and find talent is just as important as having talent when you’re the leader. 

Edited by treboyplay

Just now, treboyplay said:

Quick name the Coach who never even got there in the first place. 

And this is coming from someone who liked Smitty a lot. But he was never taking the Falcons to the SB IMO. That’s clear to me now. 

The point of the thread isn't about Smith, except as an example of head coaching ability, or lack thereof with the current one. A .500 record in close games is proof of his abysmal in game management. If he can't get better, we will not return to the playoffs anytime soon.

It should be obvious by now that Quinn rode Kyle's genius play calling to the super bowl. And I'll literally give you $100 if he gets us back there before he's fired.  

6 minutes ago, treboyplay said:

Quinn built the staff, hired and stuck with Kyle when MANY ppl wanted him fired. He ran the defense down the stretch that elevated the team in the playoffs. He deserves that credit but ppl try to take that away from him. 

Being able to hire and find talent is just as important as having talent when you’re the leader. 

Mhmm...

15 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

And let's all be honest here. Shanny and the guys on offense built that record more than the head coach. 

This is ********. If it wasn't for DQ, Shanny wouldn't ever be in Atlanta. If it wasn't for DQ and his generally aggressive coaching tactics, the team wouldn't be lighting up the scoreboard and blowing teams out by the 3rd quarter.

20 minutes ago, treboyplay said:

Quick, name the Coach who never even got there in the first place. 

Hope so...seeing he hasn’t been the coach for 4 years...took you awhile...

papachaz likes this

1 minute ago, thanat0s said:

The point of the thread isn't about Smith, except as an example of head coaching ability, or lack thereof with the current one. A .500 record in close games is proof of his abysmal in game management. If he can't get better, we will not return to the playoffs anytime soon.

It should be obvious by now that Quinn rode Kyle's genius play calling to the super bowl. And I'll literally give you $100 if he gets us back there before he's fired.  

He rode Kyle’s genius? I think Kyle was an amazing play caller while he was here. But I saw Quinn take his team on the road and win a playoff game without Kyle. How many playoff games has Kyle won as a OC before Quinn? For the record, the Falcons were 7-5 until Quinn took over the defense and that’s when the entire team took off. But I hear you. 

38 minutes ago, treboyplay said:

I have a stat for Matt.

1st 4 years. 

Mike Smith 0-3. 

This. As much as he’s agrivated me lately I’ll take Captain Slogan over Captain Notepad every day.

papachaz, JDaveG and NeonDeion like this

57 minutes ago, treboyplay said:

I have a stat for Matt.

1st 4 years. 

Mike Smith 0-3. 

That’s the thing about Quinn’s postseason success.

You can’t acknowledge it without also mentioning the worst/biggest loss in football history.

Its similar to how you can’t acknowledge OJ Simpsons football career or Bill Cosby’s comedic genius without acknowledging that other stuff. 

Sure the postseason success is a nice stat but it’s kind of overshadowed by the biggest choke job in history.

thanat0s likes this

58 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

So in order to meet your approval, Quinn has to do twice what only 1 other Atlanta coach has been able to accomplish once.  Seems logical.  And I’ll take that bet.  Our roster is still incredibly talented.

Edited by Falconsin2012

4 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

So in order to meet your approval, Quinn has to do twice what only 1 other Atlanta coach has been able to accomplish once.  Seems logical.  And I’ll take that bet.  Our roster is still incredibly talented.

I hate to be that guy...I really do...

But that profile picture...:slick:

56 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

This stat rests squarely on the shoulders of Michael turner. 

Two names popped into my head immediately upon reading the stat - Turner and Abe.  

Ergo Proxy likes this