Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cole World

Brian Baldinger on Falcons O-line

61 posts in this topic

WEll,, I was hoping they would get a proven OL in Facy,, But if they don't go that way and get one in the first rd.. I hope he's worthy of the pick.... Then that would be a great move. If not then we blew it. I think they will do the right thing.. TD and Blank is very passionate about making all the right moves in order to bring us a top team this fall.

6 hours ago, MarkMc44 said:

Wouldn't it be great if we finally hit on a developmental O lineman with Matt Gono!

GO FALCONS!!!!

Well if you do remember Schraeder was in exactly the same position Gono was in about 5 seasons back.It has happened before.

MarkMc44 likes this

9 hours ago, Kayoh said:

"too athletic" isn't really a thing. You can never be "too athletic" in the NFL. More athletic players wouldn't be worse at blocking Aaron Donald, they'd be better at it. A big reason why Donald is so dominant is because he's an absolute freak of an athlete and a complete mismatch for just about every interior OLineman in the league. The only interior OL in the league right now who's on an even similar level to Donald athletically is like, Brandon Brooks for the Eagles.

I think looking for big hulking OL would be a huge mistake unless it's with the qualifier of "also extremely athletic", which is just kinda rare. But buying into this idea that bigger = better in the trenches seems like a great way to just revert to the Mike Smith regime that tried to generate pass rush from the inside out with guys like Soliai and other mediocrity of the like.

Well said Kayoh.

I’d like to see us get a fatty for both lines. I’m talking at least 350. A guard to run behind and a D tackle to eat up blocks. 

45 minutes ago, Lowndesfalc said:

I’d like to see us get a fatty for both lines. I’m talking at least 350. A guard to run behind and a D tackle to eat up blocks. 

you don't draw double teams by being fat. You draw double teams by being too difficult to block by one offensive lineman.

Guys like Aaron Donald, JJ Watt, and Geno Atkins get double teamed way more than guys like Danny Shelton and Vita Vea.

falconsd56, kiwifalcon and vel like this

5 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

you don't draw double teams by being fat. You draw double teams by being too difficult to block by one offensive lineman.

Guys like Aaron Donald, JJ Watt, and Geno Atkins get double teamed way more than guys like Danny Shelton and Vita Vea.

Nope. You gotta be a 380lb mammoth of a man. 

I gave up explaining this back when this place was infatuated with Daniel McCullers because he was a fatass DT. People equate big to unblockable. 

falconsd56 and kiwifalcon like this

5 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

Does the OT from Oklahoma fit that description?  I think so. 

He does. We'll if the combine confirms it, but at the least he should be high on the radar at RG. 

Kayoh likes this

5 minutes ago, vel said:

I gave up explaining this back when this place was infatuated with Daniel McCullers because he was a fatass DT. People equate big to unblockable. 

unblockable is unblockable. Big is big. The two are not mutually inclusive, and frankly the history of the league has shown almost the exact opposite. It's actually a lot rarer that you find a gigantic 330+ pound guy who turns out to be dominant in every phase of the game, than a smaller <300 lb guy who can move like a 240 lb guy. And that's not even a new development, arguably the greatest pure DT of all time Alan Page was 6'4 245, and he played in the 60s-70s when most interior OLinemen were easily 250+. He was the Aaron Donald/JJ Watt of his time.

8 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

unblockable is unblockable. Big is big. The two are not mutually inclusive, and frankly the history of the league has shown almost the exact opposite. It's actually a lot rarer that you find a gigantic 330+ pound guy who turns out to be dominant in every phase of the game, than a smaller <300 lb guy who can move like a 240 lb guy. And that's not even a new development, arguably the greatest pure DT of all time Alan Page was 6'4 245, and he played in the 60s-70s when most interior OLinemen were easily 250+. He was the Aaron Donald/JJ Watt of his time.

People don't understand leverage and athleticism because they aren't physical and easy to identify. They largely just don't even understand football, which is where the real problem lies. 

22 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

Does the OT from Oklahoma fit that description?  I think so. 

Judge for yourself.

Also thought his running mate Samia was pretty decent aswell.

36 minutes ago, vel said:

He does. We'll if the combine confirms it, but at the least he should be high on the radar at RG. 

RG?  Why not RT

22 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Judge for yourself.

Also thought his running mate Samia was pretty decent aswell.

That pocket is cleaner than Tom Brady's.  Big cof in why Murray won Heisman. 

Edited by VTCrunkler

3 hours ago, vel said:

Funny you say that....

I have him on my wish list for the Dt rotation:ninja:

It's like I've always said. You can get big for cheap. You can get athletic for cheap. But big, athletic, and strong only comes at the top of the first round.

After watching the Patriots offense today I say invest heavily in the offensive line.  Free Agency & the Draft.  Our first round pick must be  OL.  I get it,  our defense needs tons of help also, mainly interior line & corners, but Matt Ryan and our stud skill players need an O Line desperately.

1 hour ago, Falcons_Pantera_KoRn said:

After watching the Patriots offense today I say invest heavily in the offensive line.  Free Agency & the Draft.  Our first round pick must be  OL.  I get it,  our defense needs tons of help also, mainly interior line & corners, but Matt Ryan and our stud skill players need an O Line desperately.

You see this is where you have to be careful.If you go all in on a certain strategy and it fails then your in trouble.

The key to this is being adaptive in how you go about it.Ryan still put up nie on his 2016 numbers with the Oline he already has.Key is the defense didn’t hold up there end of the bargin.Also the team didn’t sync in all 3 phases.

See while everyone is still on the we need this on the field the big improvement has to come off it in my eyes.Talk all you want about adding talent if it isn’t used correctly and developed you’ll still fail.

4 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

You see this is where you have to be careful.If you go all in on a certain strategy and it fails then your in trouble.

The key to this is being adaptive in how you go about it.Ryan still put up nie on his 2016 numbers with the Oline he already has.Key is the defense didn’t hold up there end of the bargin.Also the team didn’t sync in all 3 phases.

See while everyone is still on the we need this on the field the big improvement has to come off it in my eyes.Talk all you want about adding talent if it isn’t used correctly and developed you’ll still fail.

If you look at the stat sheet Ryan put up good numbers, but we all know from watching 16 games this season that our offense was not good and it is because the o line couldn't hold up.

5 hours ago, Falcons_Pantera_KoRn said:

The pats do not have a linemen starting that was picked in the first round.

the rams don't have a first round linemen starting for them either

17 minutes ago, Falcons_Pantera_KoRn said:

If you look at the stat sheet Ryan put up good numbers, but we all know from watching 16 games this season that our offense was not good and it is because the o line couldn't hold up.

Yeah it’s been pretty much the same line for 3 years less injury.

SB NFCCG and fallen over this year because of the above mentioned.

Going all in is great in the saying just go fix the line but it isn’t that simple.The issue is it’s one of the weaker line classes coming out on the offensive side and the good ones in FA cost money.

I agree we need at least one piece upfront and it’s doable to find that guy.But I have to weigh it up against the talent going especially in the draft.Im not just drafting Oline just because and letting better talent slip by.

falconsd56 likes this