Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cole World

Brian Baldinger on Falcons O-line

61 posts in this topic

Think they're realizing that too. Thankfully, it's a good year to fix that - Rams have hardly any space next year and we should have ~40 mil after cuts and restructures to make a push for Rodger Saffold. 6'5 and 325 lbs of one of the best guards in the league. Sign Donovan Smith (6'6, 340 lbs) as a backup or good competition for RT or G, add a guy like Danny Shelton (6'2, 344 lbs), and still have room to maybe push for a pass rusher. Draft Jeffrey Simmons (6'4, 301 lbs), trade back into the 1st for Cody Ford (6'4, 330 lbs). That's a bunch of good, young, athletic, nasty *** beatin players. Maybe Tytus Howard is there in the 4th as well.

That's my dream off-season.

This applies for both the OL and DL and something I've been saying for awhile. Regardless of scheme you need size and strength on both lines. If your restrictive scheme can't deal with size and strength on your roster you change the scheme

Doctor Kildare and ZoneOne01 like this

The Falcons had a top 5 line in 2016 and were still pretty good in 2017 with an "athletic" composure. 

The Falcons problem in 2018 was not an effect of being overly athletic. The problem was the rapidly declining skill of Schraeder and the marginal skill of Garland and Schweitzer. 

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Think they're realizing that too. Thankfully, it's a good year to fix that - Rams have hardly any space next year and we should have ~40 mil after cuts and restructures to make a push for Rodger Saffold. 6'5 and 325 lbs of one of the best guards in the league. Sign Donovan Smith (6'6, 340 lbs) as a backup or good competition for RT or G, add a guy like Danny Shelton (6'2, 344 lbs), and still have room to maybe push for a pass rusher. Draft Jeffrey Simmons (6'4, 301 lbs), trade back into the 1st for Cody Ford (6'4, 330 lbs). That's a bunch of good, young, athletic, nasty *** beatin players. Maybe Tytus Howard is there in the 4th as well.

You are one very ambitious fan! Lol I love it though. I like Saffold and think he'd be perfect here. But they've got more than enough cap space. $36MM and they can add another $18MM cutting Talib and Brockers. 

Francis York Morgan likes this

18 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

The Falcons had a top 5 line in 2016 and were still pretty good in 2017 with an "athletic" composure. 

The Falcons problem in 2018 was not an effect of being overly athletic. The problem was the rapidly declining skill of Schraeder and the marginal skill of Garland and Schweitzer. 

They couldn't get a 4th and 1 in 2016 or 2017.

7 minutes ago, vel said:

You are one very ambitious fan! Lol I love it though. I like Saffold and think he'd be perfect here. But they've got more than enough cap space. $36MM and they can add another $18MM cutting Talib and Brockers. 

That's my bad - I read 1 mil in cap space, but that's the 2018 number. Still, I hope we push hard for him. They have more players to sign than us, and don't even have Goff or Gurley signed long term. Ambitious is the only way I know how to be haha.

vel likes this

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Vote Francis York Morgan for mayor and new GM

1 hour ago, Summerhill said:

the line was pretty good in 2017 with Schweitzer & Levitre at the guards but 2018 was bad because Schweitzer and Garland were the guards?

2 hours ago, raysnill1 said:

the line was pretty good in 2017 with Schweitzer & Levitre at the guards but 2018 was bad because Schweitzer and Garland were the guards?

No we were OK in 17  and then in RS falling off of the map it put more stress on 2 less than perfect linemen.

You can cover up a guard if your center and tackles are playing well.. but if not it is going to expose the interior.

People keep pointing to the guards but   RT was the biggest black hole on the line  in 18

One guy I would love  for us to take a look at inside is Matt Paradis .

He is a center but has and can play guard and would help a rookie RT if that is he route that we go... He would bring a Vet presence next to Mack and it would make a transition away from Mack in 2020  easier once that starts to happen.

I just do not want to see rookies at both sports on the right side.

JDaveG and PokerSteve like this

Well I know that it's not easy to get the personnel and I really like Baldinger, but my boy here showed up and said it wasn't that profound.

090914_Signals_promo.png

People seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding that a ZBS needs lighter offensive line players, which is not true.

For instance, take a look at the Steelers, they run predominately a ZBS and their OL is heavier.

ZBS doesn’t mean small, it’s just a scheme. It’s up to our coaches to get the right players to do the job correctly. 

18 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

People seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding that a ZBS needs lighter offensive line players, which is not true.

For instance, take a look at the Steelers, they run predominately a ZBS and their OL is heavier.

ZBS doesn’t mean small, it’s just a scheme. It’s up to our coaches to get the right players to do the job correctly. 

Thats what Baldinger meant...its not about fast & furious exotic offense.

You need to get stout upfront just like Eagles,  Patriots, Rams, Saints.

PokerSteve and Doctor Kildare like this

4 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Steelers run some hybrid stretch zone and lots of power scheme.  The Falcons are one of the very few who run zone wide and tight.  That’s it.   Very much in the Alex Gibbs mold.  For that scheme, it’s preferable that the lineman be lighter to get off blocks and get to the 2nd level.  The line is always moving in the direction of the run, and thus, they need to be light on their feet, not a trait usually associated with people who weigh more than 300 pounds. ZBS-heavy teams will favor linemen with quickness and pursuit capability, even at the expense of key measurements like height/weight.   I remember Gibbs 97 & 98 Broncos team...they had 8 different OLineman start at least 14 games, none exceeded 300 lbs.

so if we stick to ZBS & only ZBS, I don’t foresee us getting maulers at OG.

Embrace the suck likes this

7 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Just like a 340 LBer is going to fix the run D because of his size lol.:doh:

I swear my keyboards broken but I’ll say it again for the cheap seats.The biggest gain the Falcons make this off season will be off the field not on it.Until we get the usage and deployment of our talent we’ll continue to see these nagging issues that ale us.

Falcons In 2012 likes this

4 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Steelers run some hybrid stretch zone and lots of power scheme.  The Falcons are one of the very few who run zone wide and tight.  That’s it.   Very much in the Alex Gibbs mold.  For that scheme, it’s preferable that the lineman be lighter to get off blocks and get to the 2nd level.  The line is always moving in the direction of the run, and thus, they need to be light on their feet, not a trait usually associated with people who weigh more than 300 pounds. ZBS-heavy teams will favor linemen with quickness and pursuit capability, even at the expense of key measurements like height/weight.   I remember Gibbs 97 & 98 Broncos team...they had 8 different OLineman start at least 14 games, none exceeded 300 lbs.

so if we stick to ZBS & only ZBS, I don’t foresee us getting maulers at OG.

You’re semi correct. The Steelers run some power, but they are predominately a ZBS scheme. They run both inside and outside zone scheme concepts. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2718815-nfl1000-ranking-the-best-offensive-schemes#slide5

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/5/27/4363750/zone-blocking-running-football-breakdown-highlights-analysis-diagram

https://thereadoptional.com/the-forgotten-guys-pittsburghs-offensive-line-is-its-secret-weapon-35186ebaaea4

Considering we need a revamp of 3 of the 5 players on the OL, switching to this kind of player is doable. Matthews and Mack are already capable of doing this.

Falcons In 2012 likes this

"too athletic" isn't really a thing. You can never be "too athletic" in the NFL. More athletic players wouldn't be worse at blocking Aaron Donald, they'd be better at it. A big reason why Donald is so dominant is because he's an absolute freak of an athlete and a complete mismatch for just about every interior OLineman in the league. The only interior OL in the league right now who's on an even similar level to Donald athletically is like, Brandon Brooks for the Eagles.

I think looking for big hulking OL would be a huge mistake unless it's with the qualifier of "also extremely athletic", which is just kinda rare. But buying into this idea that bigger = better in the trenches seems like a great way to just revert to the Mike Smith regime that tried to generate pass rush from the inside out with guys like Soliai and other mediocrity of the like.