Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arkridge

Former Falcon's Assistant & Shanahan's Wingman Mike McDaneil Drawing OC Interest From Multiple Teams

5 posts in this topic

Anyone remember Mike McDaniel? When Shanahan left for San Francisco, many around these parts suggested McDaniel as a replacement OC. He made an impression on the Falcon's staff and the story came out about The Atlanta Falcon's staff helping him through troubles with Alcohol abuse. A few years later, other teams are starting to catch on to this guy as a potential bright young offensive mind at just 35 years old. I hate to beat a dead horse, but man. I would have loved if we could have retained him. Myself and many others wanted him as OC.

Falconsin2012 likes this

Here is the story where McDaniel says he'll never forget what the Falcon's brotherhood did for him during his struggles with alcohol. Seems Shanahan is blocking interviews for now. But if this Koetter thing backfires (it will), I hope we give him a look one day.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/falcons/2017/02/02/mike-mcdaniel-atlanta-assistant-kyle-shanahan-super-bowl-2017/97414470/

6 minutes ago, Arkridge said:

Anyone remember Mike McDaniel? When Shanahan left for San Francisco, many around these parts suggested McDaniel as a replacement OC. He made an impression on the Falcon's staff and the story came out about The Atlanta Falcon's staff helping him through troubles with Alcohol abuse. A few years later, other teams are starting to catch on to this guy as a potential bright young offensive mind at just 35 years old. I hate to beat a dead horse, but man. I would have loved if we could have retained him. Myself and many others wanted him as OC.

He’s been with Shanny forever.  Most agree he has a great football mind. But why hasn’t Shanny made him OC in title even though he wouldn’t call plays?  We didn’t try to keep him...all other teams have passed until now.  There is something we are missing in the McDaniels narrative

16 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

He’s been with Shanny forever.  Most agree he has a great football mind. But why hasn’t Shanny made him OC in title even though he wouldn’t call plays?  We didn’t try to keep him...all other teams have passed until now.  There is something we are missing in the McDaniels narrative

I mean, he may not be the OC but there's a reason Shanahan is blocking interviews. Plus Shanahan is his own OC and he seems like the type of guy who would be reluctant to let that title go, head coach or not.

IIRC, he wasn't retained because Dan Quinn wanted someone with more experience as the OC. I don't think it was any reason deeper than that.

Falconsin2012 likes this

6 minutes ago, Arkridge said:

I mean, he may not be the OC but there's a reason Shanahan is blocking interviews. Plus Shanahan is his own OC and he seems like the type of guy who would be reluctant to let that title go, head coach or not.

IIRC, he wasn't retained because Dan Quinn wanted someone with more experience as the OC. I don't think it was any reason deeper than that.

I meant Shanny could give him a LaFleur OC title when he was with McVay and the Rams.  OC, but on gameday Shanny calls plays

Shanny always seems to keep McDaniels behind the curtain.  

My preference from Shanny’s staff is still their QB coach, Rich Scangarella (sp).  He has IT

Edited by Falconsin2012
Arkridge likes this