Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ike barn87987

TD on our CB position

75 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

ummm, no. Trufant is not good, and Oliver is not good either. Adding another CB is going to be necessary sooner rather than later. 

Trufant will be just fine if we have a better pass rush, and improve the tackling of the defense.  Trufant is not the problem.

Ergo Proxy and Stryka like this

People STILL not understanding what the loss of both starting safeties can do to the CBS.... They play as a unit. Not individuals. Take half the unit away and last year is what you get. Trufant isn't as good as he was made out to be, but both Tru and Alford aren't as bad as they're made out to be either. Bet we don't draft a cb til the mid rounds. 

38 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Trufant will be just fine if we have a better pass rush, and improve the tackling of the defense.  Trufant is not the problem.

Trufant is at his best, OK. Isiah Oliver was not good last year, at all. Kazee was good AT safety, we haven't seen him play CB for any meaningful stretch in his entire career. Trenches are a priority but our CB situation is not ideal, with Alford leaving we need to add 1 quality CB to the mix. 

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Welcome to starting defense Oliver.  Kazee to nickel.  We are good

Why not keep Kazee at FS and move Allen to Nickel

14 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Trufant is at his best, OK. Isiah Oliver was not good last year, at all. Kazee was good AT safety, we haven't seen him play CB for any meaningful stretch in his entire career. Trenches are a priority but our CB situation is not ideal, with Alford leaving we need to add 1 quality CB to the mix. 

Oliver is gonna be a good one. Showed a lot of potential last year.

Ergo Proxy and Falconsin2012 like this

18 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

Why not keep Kazee at FS and move Allen to Nickel

because Kazee succs at FS.

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

People STILL not understanding what the loss of both starting safeties can do to the CBS.... They play as a unit. Not individuals. Take half the unit away and last year is what you get. Trufant isn't as good as he was made out to be, but both Tru and Alford aren't as bad as they're made out to be either. Bet we don't draft a cb til the mid rounds. 

This ^

26 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Did td personally tell you that Alford was leaving? 

Yes, it's a big possibility, but it's far from guaranteed. 

2 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Ha.  No.  He was a bit rough early on trying to make plays as opposed to being the safety but got better and graded out well (I'm not a hardcore PFF but I accept their ballpark).  I've explained it as I think Rico is the better FS (he should be, he's been doing it longer) but Kazee is the better football player.

Falconsin2012 and rugger8 like this

15 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

Ha.  No.  He was a bit rough early on trying to make plays as opposed to being the safety but got better and graded out well (I'm not a hardcore PFF but I accept their ballpark).  I've explained it as I think Rico is the better FS (he should be, he's been doing it longer) but Kazee is the better football player.

Kazee has a skillset that translates to NB.  Put him in slot and let Rico resume his role as leader of our back 7.  Best of both worlds IMO and keeps both on the field.  

Edited by Falconsin2012
Monolith2001 and rugger8 like this

2 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Falcons also need solid help on the OL.

Vet help in the trenches is expensive.  

Roster cuts are going to be a bloodbath this year.... going to be lots of hurt feelings around here.

Anyone cut on the defense except Jarrett wouldn't hurt my feelings 

24 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Kazee shined in a group of rocks.. Until I see him play with decent guys around him my verdict is still open.. Duke, Alford, and the bum from New England would make me look good 

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Kazee has a skillset that translates to NB.  Put him in slot and let Rico resume his role as leader of our back 7

Oh I don't disagree with that, I just disagreed with the "succs at FS" comment.  Honestly Kazee is the more dynamic player and the one who I think could move around so yeah Rico at FS and Rico as our Nickel corner.  I'd love to run a "Big Nickel" package in base where Keke is our Hybrid and Rico and Kazee roam.

Falconsin2012 likes this

2 hours ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Shoring up the DL will actually make Turdfant/Alford look slightly better.  First two rounds need to be on the lines.

Alford's still gonna get a penalty and Trufant is still gonna get beat and celebrate after a pass is off the mark leading to an incompletion

CrimsonFalcon likes this

5 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Alford's still gonna get a penalty and Trufant is still gonna get beat and celebrate after a pass is off the mark leading to an incompletion

Trufant was the 90th (not exact) ranked corner mid year and made drastic improvements.  Finished the year #35 and top-10 the last quarter of the year.  12 pass deflections, 66 tackles.  All good signs heading into 2019.

Would love to restructure his contract, though

Stryka and rugger8 like this

2 hours ago, vel said:

Basically what he's saying. Alford is gone and they could be in a position where CB is the best value and position on the board. 

I'm projecting between $50-60MM in cap space right now (cutting Vic, Alford, Reed, Schraeder (post 6/1)). Assuming $50MM, Grady getting a 5yr $75MM deal (Jurrell Casey $$) is a $10MM cap hit, but I'm expecting Julio's deal to save some cap space by converting his 2019 salary to signing bonus. 

After that, we've got ~$40MM in FA (after bringing back some other lower tier UFAs we have). That's enough to add some real players. That could open up the draft big time and CBs are always premium positions. 

Love to see a Gerald McCoy added upfront and swing hard at OT and CB early in the draft.

Still think Senats the key to what and how they attack the draft defensively.If that guy can lock up the Nose it frees you up on how we decide to deploy GJ upfront.

If Schraeder is truely gone it’s OT all day early in the draft for us.

26 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Kazee has a skillset that translates to NB.  Put him in slot and let Rico resume his role as leader of our back 7.  Best of both worlds IMO and keeps both on the field.  

I’d play a 3 safety look and roll Kazee and Allen through that NB spot.

Gotta have Allen starting at FS early to get everyone lined up early though that guys the glue of the defense.

Falconsin2012 likes this

I wanna see OL in FA along with a DT very preferrably.. then I'm cool with whatever happens in the draft

10 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Trufant was the 90th (not exact) ranked corner mid year and made drastic improvements.  Finished the year #35 and top-10 the last quarter of the year.  12 pass deflections, 66 tackles.  All good signs heading into 2019.

Would love to restructure his contract, though

Finally someone who doesn't just take end of the year PFF ratings as the Gold standard for objectivity.  Trufants hands are the most frustrating thing about him.  He is a sure tackler, he just isn't as willing as we would like to see. He also is generally sticky in coverage, same could be said last year despite a few big plays in man.  66 Tackles is also a good number for CBs.  Shows effort.  If he was a "dog" he would probably have about 80.

Falconsin2012 likes this

56 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Did td personally tell you that Alford was leaving? 

Yes, it's a big possibility, but it's far from guaranteed. 

Yea, it's an assumption I think pretty much everyone is making. If we are keeping Alford than obviously he and Tru are starting and I'm pretty sure TD wouldn't be saying we need a CB to begin with. 

3 hours ago, vel said:

Basically what he's saying. Alford is gone and they could be in a position where CB is the best value and position on the board. 

I'm projecting between $50-60MM in cap space right now (cutting Vic, Alford, Reed, Schraeder (post 6/1)). Assuming $50MM, Grady getting a 5yr $75MM deal (Jurrell Casey $$) is a $10MM cap hit, but I'm expecting Julio's deal to save some cap space by converting his 2019 salary to signing bonus. 

After that, we've got ~$40MM in FA (after bringing back some other lower tier UFAs we have). That's enough to add some real players. That could open up the draft big time and CBs are always premium positions. 

Exactly this. And hopefully people aren’t replying to the idea of CB in round one as though we wouldn’t have made FA moves.

Imagine the best CB in the draft available at 14 and OL worthy of the pick are major reaches/best DL that fit as starters aren’t there.

I can see it happening. Probably not plan “A” and it’s more likely Alford cut or restructured at a minimum to even stay around. Might opt for a veteran signing to make CB an afterthought on draft day.

Never say never. Maximize value with BPA whenever possible; as long as needs are filled with a proper plan that can be nailed.