Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ike barn87987

TD on our CB position

75 posts in this topic

Just now, Lornoth said:

Bye Alford.

Basically what he's saying. Alford is gone and they could be in a position where CB is the best value and position on the board. 

I'm projecting between $50-60MM in cap space right now (cutting Vic, Alford, Reed, Schraeder (post 6/1)). Assuming $50MM, Grady getting a 5yr $75MM deal (Jurrell Casey $$) is a $10MM cap hit, but I'm expecting Julio's deal to save some cap space by converting his 2019 salary to signing bonus. 

After that, we've got ~$40MM in FA (after bringing back some other lower tier UFAs we have). That's enough to add some real players. That could open up the draft big time and CBs are always premium positions. 

4 minutes ago, vel said:

Basically what he's saying. Alford is gone and they could be in a position where CB is the best value and position on the board. 

I'm projecting between $50-60MM in cap space right now (cutting Vic, Alford, Reed, Schraeder (post 6/1)). Assuming $50MM, Grady getting a 5yr $75MM deal (Jurrell Casey $$) is a $10MM cap hit, but I'm expecting Julio's deal to save some cap space by converting his 2019 salary to signing bonus. 

After that, we've got ~$40MM in FA (after bringing back some other lower tier UFAs we have). That's enough to add some real players. That could open up the draft big time and CBs are always premium positions. 

Get one good OLineman and a decent DB in FA and our draft opens up big time. Even more if we can grab a good DLineman. 

4 minutes ago, Cole World said:

Means it's really boom or bust this year. They think they have the team save for one or two spots. If we win this year it'll be worth it, otherwise might come back to bite us.

Though, following the logic of thinking they're mostly set, that could mean a big trade up for a really good DT ala the JJ trade.

Ergo Proxy likes this

Another defensive back and no way our D is going to find much improvement in next season. If our Dline can't put up pressure, the QB will have all day long to find space in our territory. Get a BEAST for the dline, improve the oline and then find us a new cornerback. That  should be the priorities.

I’d rather draft trenches and sign a vet CB. No need to watch a rookie take his lumps on the outside if we’re serious about crashing the big dance next year.

Plus Oliver is still inconsistent. He needs a vet to help groom him. Should’ve been Tru and Alf but, we saw that played out

Edited by LightningDawg58
ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

Just now, Lornoth said:

Get one good OLineman and a decent DB in FA and our draft opens up big time. Even more if we can grab a good DLineman. 

If the Bucs cut McCoy and we land him, that opens up the DL a LOT. You'd have three DTs who can get 6+ sacks. That helps Takk a lot as well. There are enough mid level edge guys that they can add at that point to round out the DL. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

37 minutes ago, ike barn87987 said:

Check out @knoxbardeen’s Tweet:

I've been saying since mid-season we will be taking a CB by the 3rd round. People are going to flip out when we take a CB in the 2nd and there's all these OG or DL prospects on the board. Embrace the suck, TATF lol

Diggable Birds likes this

42 minutes ago, ike barn87987 said:

Check out @knoxbardeen’s Tweet:

If they go skill position in the 1st round when there is such a clear and present need in the trenches.... AGAIN.... just go ahead and put together the search committee for a new head coach. 

6 minutes ago, vel said:

If the Bucs cut McCoy and we land him, that opens up the DL a LOT. You'd have three DTs who can get 6+ sacks. That helps Takk a lot as well. There are enough mid level edge guys that they can add at that point to round out the DL. 

Falcons also need solid help on the OL.

Vet help in the trenches is expensive.  

Roster cuts are going to be a bloodbath this year.... going to be lots of hurt feelings around here.

I SAID THE SAME THING WEEKS AGO ON HERE!!!! This is a big if since we went from 4-9 to 7-9 and lost our higher draft pick, but.... if Deandre Baker is available, you MUST grab him! Get rid of Trufant. Make Oliver and Baker your main guys for the future building continuity together. Alford can still be here because he did well in 2017 when everyone was healthy and he has made bigger plays in key moments over the years when it mattered most. Alford has his ups and downs but I see effort in him unlike Trufant. Trufant was drafted in 2013, and has only 2 postseason starts with the Falcons in 1 season. Since Trufant's injury and giving him contract money like he was Josh Norman or Richard Sherman, he has done hardly anything for the Falcons.

The only significant play with Trufant I remember in the past 3 seasons was the interception against Seattle in his home state, and any player plays with a chip on his shoulder in his home area. Trufant and Alford were drafted under Mike Smith and weren't drafted under Quinn like Poole and Oliver, they have passed their peak and aren't that valuable anymore. If I'd keep one of them I'd hang on to Alford. Alford is 5'10 from Louisiana and has played with more energy and effort than Trufant who is 6'0 from Washington. Who would you keep? 

Wilson is good DB depth. The issue was the uneven play of the starting corners and the injuries at safety. Getting healthy and changing DCs will help. It would be a surprise if wholesale changes are coming.

Im just curious why a lot of people on here seem to think the word LOGICAL falls into so many categories. someone said if DL and OL were off the board by 14 the logical pick would be CB...how is that?  Doesn't that only make sense if we were to cut Alford?  I mean I don't think we would even draft a CB in the first 2 if we are serious about putting Oliver outside.  The way I see it Oliver WILL be taking one of the spots...but if we keep Alford for whatever reason how does CB come into play anywhere before the 4th round?  But now lets say we cut him, we are keeping Tru and Oliver outside and Kazee is prime choice to consider slot, I also assume we keep Poole for the 4th.  so, even in that scenario....why would we EVER draft a CB in the first 3 rounds.  We need Oline and Dline help.  Even if our choice isn't there at 14...why would you reach for a player when he would either take away from someone you are paying top dollar or the other one who you drafted to take over one of the top spots.....OR you put him in slot and now you are keeping Kazee from getting on the field.  IDK Im just curious how some people see it played out before changes are made to the team.  ALFORD MIGHT be gone this offseason, but for now he's here and fact is he might still be come Game 1....drafting a cb high in this draft would be a waste if that played out.

57 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Welcome to starting defense Oliver.  Kazee to nickel.  We are good

ummm, no. Trufant is not good, and Oliver is not good either. Adding another CB is going to be necessary sooner rather than later. 

Pacific_Falcon likes this

Here is TD's actual quote from the interview:

On need to add cornerbacks: ‘You can never have too many corners’

Dimitroff was asked if there was a need to add more cornerbacks and, in short, the Falcons general manager said, “it’s another strong consideration for us” and “you can never have too many corners.”

“I think last year we came in thinking very highly of our secondary,” Dimitroff said. “We know that (Damontae) Kazee has done a really good job for us as well. Where he situates on the field will depend on what we do in the draft and/or in free agency at that position. Again, depth at that position is vital.”

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/thomas-dimitroff-on-the-sense-of-urgency-to-win-now-we-know-that-it-is-about-thi