g-dawg

Carolina Panthers LB Thomas Davis won’t be retained

48 posts in this topic

https://twitter.com/ThomasDavisSDTM/status/1083184637353123843?s=20

^^^link above to Carolina  Panthers LB Thomas Davis tweet.  He’s not retiring and might have another 1-2 yrs left.  Panthers going in another direction.

Falcons should explore bringing him in as rotational LB and mentor/leader much like Dwight Freeney.

Sorry, but we don't have money to be throwing around. To many big name players demanding top dollar.  And the ones that suck were just keep paying them. 

No thanks he will be 36 next season and already has shown signs of slowing down. The main reason Carolina is moving on.

Saw this the other day on the Panthers boards. Fans over there love TD but the consensus is that his wheels are gone. Still worth considering here if we had a roster spot open. Our LBs aren't exactly grizzled vets. 

ya_boi_j likes this

Debo and Campbell are already leaders at the LB'er position, we don't need to waste money on a guy that can't play. If he was still the guy everyone saying yes thinks he is, the Panthers would be keeping him. 

Cole World likes this

12 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

Debo and Campbell are already leaders at the LB'er position, we don't need to waste money on a guy that can't play. If he was still the guy everyone saying yes thinks he is, the Panthers would be keeping him. 

Don’t think he’s a starter anymore in the league.  Thought that was clear- role player and leader on modest 1 yr deal.

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Don’t think he’s a starter anymore in the league.  Thought that was clear- role player and leader on modest 1 yr deal.

What's his role if his wheels are gone on this defense? Speed is our #1 attribute. Like I said, we already have the leaders at LB'er. He should go to an old-fashioned 3-4 where being a slow thumper is okay, and without leaders at the position. 

Cole World likes this

48 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

The one thing that will be overlooked by everyone who says no

i agree as long as the price matches i agree completely. 

Torn on this. I think he could offer a ton in terms of leadership, culture, and even teaching younger guys how to practice - maybe take guys like Foye, Campbell, and even Duke to the next level. We've not really had that at LB since all our new guys have been here, in terms of a legitimately elite presence. But I also get not wanting to have a roster spot taken up by an older guy.

For the record - from what I've seen, he's not "slow" now. Just doesn't have the elite speed he used to. And he makes up for it with savvy. As a reserve guy making vet min (he won't make more, let's be honest), I think this could be a really solid move. He's got another year in him, at LEAST.

Played in the Super Bowl with a broken arm...that's the kind of pride this team needs.

utjvft8ejm921.jpg

If he was a Falcon, this board would be all about sending him packing.

Since he isn't, he now has "Vet savvy".

23 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

If he was a Falcon, this board would be all about sending him packing.

Since he isn't, he now has "Vet savvy".

Panthers fans don't feel remotely that way. They still thought he played very well this year. Can see him falling off, but he didn't this last year. Another quote - "Thomas Davis at 80% is still better than 95% of linebackers in the league."

He's still got gas.

https://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/155061-cutting-ties-with-thomas-davis-will-have-more-negative-effects-on-the-panthers-than-cutting-ties-with-steve-smith/

PokerSteve and Falconer89 like this

We can undervalue the experience and leadership a 13 yr veteran brings.  It has to be at the right price.  The problem would be that we need our depth LBs to play STs and im not sure how much he can give there being an aging guy. It would also mean we sacrifice playing time for some of the young guys.

Falconer89 likes this

4 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Long in the tooth with a long injury history. That's why Irvin is here and I hope we retain him

4 hours ago, Cole World said:

No thanks he will be 36 next season and already has shown signs of slowing down. The main reason Carolina is moving on.

Him or #42, money aside 

ya_boi_j and Falconer89 like this

9 minutes ago, Dirtybird3 said:

Him or #42, money aside 

Neither

I would be good with Foye and either Germaine Pratt or Vosean Joseph.

Falconer89 likes this

Anyone against having a legit veteran come in and be a tutor at the minimum has to be kidding. Debo and Campbell may be leaders but lets not pretend there isn't more that they can learn from an established veteran who has actually played at a high level throughout his career