Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Knight of God

My Thoughts On This Off Season

34 posts in this topic

First I want to thank The Brotherhood for being willing to look at the post I made and answer with the proper intention. You know, no one wants to win more than this fan base. We all come from different backgrounds and have different college teams for different reasons, but when it comes to the Falcons we come to each other’s aid when it matters.

Guys, this is going to be a long off season. We all need to watch the games and cheer against the Saints. They have no right to play in our house. Period.

That said, I’m pretty excited about the staff now. It doesn’t mean I won’t complain when I see some bull, but that comes with the territory. 

A few here mentioned DK and MM are both power run, that says something very interesting to me and makes me wonder about a few things. I’m thinking about ‘08 and wondering if we’re in for some interesting happenings. I’m not going to get excited, but I’ve seen this type of thing before. The look in Quinn’s eyes looked like a man getting ready to do some things we haven’t seen before, but couple that with TD and I wonder if McKay had a serious conversation with the two. The type of discussion that ends up being a bit draconian if you know what I mean.

Those type conversations through a few things out of the window. DK may actually get the type of personnel he wants. MM may get a guy he wants. With the additional picks I can see a trade or two happening. I seriously believe the first round pick will be Christian Wilkins. I think the draft will be defense, we’ll pick up one or two defensive players from TB. 

There is something in the air Brothers (that includes my Sisters too). I think this may be what we have been waiting for. Guys, I’m trying not to get excited, but I think I may just be.

11 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

First I want to thank The Brotherhood for being willing to look at the post I made and answer with the proper intention. You know, no one wants to win more than this fan base. We all come from different backgrounds and have different college teams for different reasons, but when it comes to the Falcons we come to each other’s aid when it matters.

Guys, this is going to be a long off season. We all need to watch the games and cheer against the Saints. They have no right to play in our house. Period.

That said, I’m pretty excited about the staff now. It doesn’t mean I won’t complain when I see some bull, but that comes with the territory. 

A few here mentioned DK and MM are both power run, that says something very interesting to me and makes me wonder about a few things. I’m thinking about ‘08 and wondering if we’re in for some interesting happenings. I’m not going to get excited, but I’ve seen this type of thing before. The look in Quinn’s eyes looked like a man getting ready to do some things we haven’t seen before, but couple that with TD and I wonder if McKay had a serious conversation with the two. The type of discussion that ends up being a bit draconian if you know what I mean.

Those type conversations through a few things out of the window. DK may actually get the type of personnel he wants. MM may get a guy he wants. With the additional picks I can see a trade or two happening. I seriously believe the first round pick will be Christian Wilkins. I think the draft will be defense, we’ll pick up one or two defensive players from TB. 

There is something in the air Brothers (that includes my Sisters too). I think this may be what we have been waiting for. Guys, I’m trying not to get excited, but I think I may just be.

I love the Koetter and Mularkey Hires.  I also hope the run game improves but I am still scratching my head why we retained both line coaches.

It will be a long offseason but definitely a more interesting one. We have a lot of decisions to make.

Coach says he trusts two guys on the OL yikes. 

Gotta pay Jarrett

Gotta pay Julio (again)

What are we gonna do with Beasley? Can’t pay him 12 do we try and keep him or cut him ? 

Coleman let him walk ?

Is Freeman truly healthy can he be our back that carries the load ?

What to do with Alford what was once a strength is now a weakness unless Trufant can find his game.

Probably count us out of FA again this year due to the cap and the contracts coming up. No thank you to another Fusco.

The draft is so important gotta knock it out of the park.

All of this scares me way more than our new staff

12 minutes ago, Xfactor said:

It will be a long offseason but definitely a more interesting one. We have a lot of decisions to make.

Coach says he trusts two guys on the OL yikes. 

Gotta pay Jarrett

Gotta pay Julio (again)

What are we gonna do with Beasley? Can’t pay him 12 do we try and keep him or cut him ? 

Coleman let him walk ?

Is Freeman truly healthy can he be our back that carries the load ?

What to do with Alford what was once a strength is now a weakness unless Trufant can find his game.

Probably count us out of FA again this year due to the cap and the contracts coming up. No thank you to another Fusco.

The draft is so important gotta knock it out of the park.

All of this scares me way more than our new staff

Shouldn’t worry about the cap. We’ll be fine on personnel

PokerSteve, vel and kiwifalcon like this

7 hours ago, Knight of God said:

DK may actually get the type of personnel he wants. MM may get a guy he wants.

You're smarter than that, and I know you are just desperate to find something to hold on to. But both of these guys were head coaches. If they couldnt get "the personnel they wanted" when they were HC's why would they get "their guys" as assistants?

Hold off on the enthusiasm fellas, this is the biggest BOOM or BUST season we've faced in the last 20 years. We've put together a staff loaded with experienced coaches but not winning coaches. We still have DQ handing out favors to his friends, still putting people in the wrong positions, still trying to run the same scheme under different coordinators. The look in DQ's eyes is a look of fear, although he's signed until 22' this is his last chance to get it right. The off season and the draft will be something to watch but it wont be until preseason when we can determine which direction this team is headed. 

kiwifalcon likes this

2 minutes ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

Hold off on the enthusiasm fellas, this is the biggest BOOM or BUST season we've faced in the last 20 years. We've put together a staff loaded with experienced coaches but not winning coaches. We still have DQ handing out favors to his friends, still putting people in the wrong positions, still trying to run the same scheme under different coordinators. The look in DQ's eyes is a look of fear, although he's signed until 22' this is his last chance to get it right. The off season and the draft will be something to watch but it wont be until preseason when we can determine which direction this team is headed. 

Every season is boom or bust. Not knocking you but it's just a season. They stick to sound decision making and get the OL and DO sorted out we have the horses to win. 

JDaveG and PokerSteve like this

Just now, Geneaut said:

Every season is boom or bust. Not knocking you but it's just a season. They stick to sound decision making and get the OL and DO sorted out we have the horses to win. 

True, but THIS season is the biggest for us. With all the experience coaches we just brought in we have to win a minimum of 10 games and make a strong playoff push. Missing the playoffs or having a losing season will cause major heads to roll from the top down. There's alot of jobs riding on this season for both coaches and players. Team will be completely different in 2020 if they screw this up. 

7 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I'm so glad you have higher hopes.    I'm with you 100% on the Saints.    

To be honest, I've been secretly hoping that Ed Oliver slipped to us in the draft, but I'd be extremely happy with Wilkins.    Defensive tackle will make me happy.    Building the lines always makes me happy.

They have to address both lines though - they can't ignore the guards this offseason.   That position is weak in the draft - so it's probably going to have to come through fa this year.   Any thoughts?

14 minutes ago, Tandy said:

I'm so glad you have higher hopes.    I'm with you 100% on the Saints.    

To be honest, I've been secretly hoping that Ed Oliver slipped to us in the draft, but I'd be extremely happy with Wilkins.    Defensive tackle will make me happy.    Building the lines always makes me happy.

They have to address both lines though - they can't ignore the guards this offseason.   That position is weak in the draft - so it's probably going to have to come through fa this year.   Any thoughts?

A couple guys here are high on Donovan Smith from TB. He already knows the system. Then draft Dieter in the 2nd or 3rd.

PokerSteve, Tandy and Geneaut like this

This team is not that messed up.  As bad as it was last season, we lost four....FOUR GAMES....on the final play.  If those went the other way we're 11-5.  [ Yeah, I know...'IF' ]

Just fix the line, get our best defenders back healthy, and 85% of this team's problems disappear.

11 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

A couple guys here are high on Donovan Smith from TB. He already knows the system. Then draft Dieter in the 2nd or 3rd.

Wouldn't be unhappy with that.   I'd still love to see Ed Oliver on that defense though - he's so nasty.  When everybody was clamoring for Q Williams - I was secretly hoping we got Oliver.   Just something about the way he plays that makes me think he would be a great fit for the Falcons.   But, Wilkins would too and I would be happy as heck to have him.

Ain't gonna lie though - I'd like to see Oliver in a Falcon's uni on day 1!

Knight of God likes this

1 hour ago, Tandy said:

Wouldn't be unhappy with that.   I'd still love to see Ed Oliver on that defense though - he's so nasty.  When everybody was clamoring for Q Williams - I was secretly hoping we got Oliver.   Just something about the way he plays that makes me think he would be a great fit for the Falcons.   But, Wilkins would too and I would be happy as heck to have him.

Ain't gonna lie though - I'd like to see Oliver in a Falcon's uni on day 1!

Wilkins is nasty. You’d fall in love with him fast. Oliver is amazing too. 

Tandy likes this

36 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I loved him in the championship game (sorry)   I'll go do some more research on him.   

PokerSteve likes this

37 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Tandy you won’t be sorry. That kid has the type of attitude and overall personality that makes Takk look meek

PokerSteve and Tandy like this

8 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Tandy you won’t be sorry. That kid has the type of attitude and overall personality that makes Takk look meek

I wanted Wilkins last year before he said he was going back to school. Would love to see him in a Falcons jersey. The dude gets in the backfield a lot.

Knight of God and Geneaut like this

10 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Personally KOG, I truly believe Quinn is putting heat on TD to cut the BS and make some serious moves....especially the trenches. Quinn wants playmakers and it seems he won't stop voicing it until it happens. I love what I'm hearing and love what I'm seeing. We learned a valuable lesson in 18. 

Knight of God likes this

10 hours ago, lostnmexico said:

I love the Koetter and Mularkey Hires.  I also hope the run game improves but I am still scratching my head why we retained both line coaches.

Because outside zone running isn't going anywhere, nor should it.

Agree with you, KOG. Quinn has the eye of the tiger right now. Every thing he's done since the season ended points to going "all in" in reworking this coaching staff and roster to create a team that will grind you down on offense and smack you and take the ball away on defense. And get it done this coming season.

I think the pressure is on TD to come up with some quality FA's for the OL. As for Wilkins, boy what a shot in the arm he would be for our DL. Would be almost be too good to be true to go with the guys we already have.