Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lostnmexico

Dan Quinn stacking the deck?

34 posts in this topic

I like the post because it's new info. But as far as I'm concerned position and assistant coaches will be fine if their bosses(HC,OC,DC,ST) know their stuff.

lostnmexico likes this

1 hour ago, *TMo* said:

I have an issue there. I think our wide receivers are grossly under coached. They wait till the ball gets to their gut before trying to make a catch. This is the NFL, no one gets wide open. You have to make a catch in traffic by using your body (see butt) to shield the defender and extend your hands to take the catch of the ball. I think Raheem Morris is a fine coach with great motivational skills but I would rather see him on the defensive side of the ball.

I learned to catch a football by being a catcher In baseball.  I learned to watch the ball and concentrate on the ball.  I pay no attention to the batter or the bat.  focus on the ball and get it in my glove cleanly.  Our receivers miss on fundamentals, like catch the ball before you try to run, watch the ball into your hands, not your pads, things that should be learned before they came to the NFL.  You are correct about them being failed by the coaching staff, or the staff is trying to correct these issues and the players don't listen.

PokerSteve and Halcon-1 like this

Just now, Oldmanfan said:

I learned to catch a football by being a catcher In baseball.  I learned to watch the ball and concentrate on the ball.  I pay no attention to the batter or the bat.  focus on the ball and get it in my glove cleanly.  Our receivers miss on fundamentals, like catch the ball before you try to run, watch the ball into your hands, not your pads, things that should be learned before they came to the NFL.  You are correct about them being failed by the coaching staff, or the staff is trying to correct these issues and the players don't listen.

Honestly bro as a guy who played college ball and played football since the age of 7...its about focus.  There is nothing a coach or drill can give you that you don't already have by the time you get to the NFL.  Its purely focus.  Ridley had a drop problem in high school, same in college, same in the NFL.  Julio is prone to drop the easy one way too often, been an issue since college.  Guys like AJ Green, Larry Fitz and D. Hopkins rarely have drops.  Rarely had them in college and so forth so on.

Ridley isn't going to magically be coached into less drops.  Its on him.  He can practice doing it all week but unless he brings that clear focus to the games, its gonna continue to happen.  Lets hope he improves but that isn't on the coaches.  It feels like its some type of virus because in 2017 it was ridiculous and it only got a lil better in 2018.

11 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Honestly bro as a guy who played college ball and played football since the age of 7...its about focus.  There is nothing a coach or drill can give you that you don't already have by the time you get to the NFL.  Its purely focus.  Ridley had a drop problem in high school, same in college, same in the NFL.  Julio is prone to drop the easy one way too often, been an issue since college.  Guys like AJ Green, Larry Fitz and D. Hopkins rarely have drops.  Rarely had them in college and so forth so on.

Ridley isn't going to magically be coached into less drops.  Its on him.  He can practice doing it all week but unless he brings that clear focus to the games, its gonna continue to happen.  Lets hope he improves but that isn't on the coaches.  It feels like its some type of virus because in 2017 it was ridiculous and it only got a lil better in 2018.

You are correct. I also think you have to put in the work, coaches and players.  I don't know who said it originally but I always appreciated the saying " an amateur will practice until he gets it right.  A professional will practice until he can't get it wrong."

Stryka and PokerSteve like this

8 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

It is the one thing that both excites and concerns.  There are a lot of Alphas in the room and they gotta figure out how to work together but I doubt there are too many teams with more former NFL head coaches and coordinators on an offense than we do.  This is DQs team and his job is on the line.  He already has taken the defense into his own hands and such a man is not likely to let someone else do whatever they want to on the other side of the ball that he is also 100% responsible for as HC.

Yeah, and you can bet with Koetter being the highest paid OC in the league now and the addition of the head coaches as assistants.. Blank wrote a fat check for this administration.. He's going to expect results 

1 hour ago, Oldmanfan said:

You are correct. I also think you have to put in the work, coaches and players.  I don't know who said it originally but I always appreciated the saying " an amateur will practice until he gets it right.  A professional will practice until he can't get it wrong."

I think its on the coaches to push a guy into that extreme focus. Thats a great quote too. Might get that tatted somewhere lol. 

PokerSteve likes this

5 hours ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

I have zero problem with Quinn hiring whoever they heck he wants to hire. More often than not, we trust the men who have been in the trenches with us before. You learn a lot about a man in the trenches. 

Parmalee did alright, but I don't think it was a demotion as much as it was a granted request. Apparently the guy asked to coach special teams. As a young coach, it makes sense that he wants to gain experience in pivotal areas and position groups. 

To the point that Hofstra is a 1-AA team... so what? There have been plenty of successful coaches and players come from those ranks. I guess I will choose to trust Quinn's judgment until such time as I no longer can. I haven't hit that mark yet, though. 

I just found it inherently interesting that all these guys were together on the Hofstra staff and no one has even mentioned the Joe Gardi connection.  I want Koetter to succeed and Atlanta to get back to the Superbowl.  That said.....this info needs to be out there and it's a situation that bears monitoring.

It's Quinn's Ship for sure.  All that is left is to Rise Up and  go get that Lombardi!  

Edited by lostnmexico

15 hours ago, lostnmexico said:

I just found it inherently interesting that all these guys were together on the Hofstra staff and no one has even mentioned the Joe Gardi connection.  I want Koetter to succeed and Atlanta to get back to the Superbowl.  That said.....this info needs to be out there and it's a situation that bears monitoring.

It's Quinn's Ship for sure.  All that is left is to Rise Up and  go get that Lombardi!  

I'll grant you that. It IS interesting that their connections went all the way back to Hofstra, as well as the Joe Gardi connection you mentioned. 

PokerSteve likes this