Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lostnmexico

Dan Quinn stacking the deck?

34 posts in this topic

OK....we have had a week to think and analize the presser and I originally came to the conclusion that the Koetter and Mularkey Addition has the potential to be very good but the other moves left me greatly disturbed.   The heirarchy of offensive coaches is a real mess at this point.  Why do I say this?  Get ready to be blown away:

First.....the Obvious......Koetter is the coordinator but Raheem is the Passing Game Coordinator, Wide Recievers Coach, and GULP!.......Assistant Head Coach!  Who reports to who?  Good Question.  Lets look at the other staff moves before coming back to that question.

Bernie Parmalee, who I thought was OK as RB Coach got moved to Assistant Special Teams Coach...WHAT?  WHY? Any explanation for this? That make THREE Special Teams Coaches. Didn't understand this until looking at his replacement.

With Parmalee Out, Dave Brock will take over as RBs coach.   Who?  Wasn't he the WR Coach helping Raheem Morris contend for  the league lead in drops last year?    Hmmmm.  From the Falcons Website: Dave Brock is entering his second season with the Falcons – first as the wide receivers coach. In his first year in Atlanta, Brock assisted Raheem Morris with the wide receivers. Their receiving group pulled in 214 receptions for 2,848 yards and 13 touchdowns.

Brock joined the Falcons after a four-year stint as the head coach for the University of Delaware. Before joining the Blue Hens, he was the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for Rutgers. Brock has been a collegiate coach for 29 years, with stops at Kansas State (2007-08), North Carolina (2005-06), Temple (2002-04), Hofstra (1995-02), Salisbury (1988-90, 1994), and West Connecticut State (1991-93). He is a native of Moorestown, N.J.

Why did I bold Hofstra?   Wait for it.  Quinn is a Jersey Boy (from Morristown).  So is Raheem. (from Irvington)   Brock (from Moorestown) makes three.   Bernie gets moved to Assistant Special Teams Coach while Quinn promotes his boy.

Consider this also from the Falcons Website: Morris began his collegiate coaching career an assistant coach at Hofstra in 1998, where he was responsible for coaching the offensive scout team,(Now we know why Morris was moved to the offensive side of the ball) developing scouting reports, and video breakdown. He moved on to Cornell University as defensive backs coach and special teams assistant for the 1999 season. Morris served as defensive backs coach at Hofstra from 2000 to 2001 before joining the Buccaneers. Was Brock was the Head Coach at Hofstra while Raheem Morris' was on staff?   Nope Brock was an assistant at the I-AA School.

Joe Gardi was the Head Coach at Hofstra while Brock was an assistant  along with Raheem.  More on why this is important later.

So we have Quinn, Morris, and Brock...All Jersey Boys.  Enter our Newly Promoted Game Management Coach Kyle Flood.  From the Falcons Website: Before being named head coach, he spent seven years on the Scarlet Knights staff, seeing time as the offensive line coach since joining the program in 2005, and was eventually promoted to assistant head coach in 2008. In 2007, Flood oversaw the run game, as the running game coordinator and from 2009-10 he was the co-offensive coordinator.  Before coaching at Rutgers, he spent three years at the University of Delaware where he was the assistant head coach and offensive line coach and was a part of the 2003 National Championship team. Flood was the offensive line coach at Hofstra University from 1997-01. 

Here is Quinn puting another of his boys in charge of game management. I was hoping Koetter would help in that area.

Why do I say Brock is one of his boys? Lets dive deeper on  Dan Quinn.   From his profile on the Falcons Website: Quinn got his start coaching the defensive line at William and Mary in 1994, followed by a season at Virginia Military Institute. He held the same position with Hofstra for four seasons before being promoted to defensive coordinator in 2000.

Let me get to the point.

Dan Quinn, Raheem Morris, Dave Brock, and now Kyle Flood were ALL on Joe Gardi's staff at Hofstra. Hofstra was not Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, or USC.  It was a I-AA School.  All four men are part of the Joe Gardi Coaching Tree https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Gardi

Dirk Koetter was just hired to take over the Falcons Offense.  His position coaches are almost all Quinn loyalists.  It appears Brock got a promotion at Parmalee's expense.  I truly hope Quinn is not handicapping his shiny new coordinator by strategically putting his boys in key positions.   Koetter will have to contend with a subbordinate coaching staff entirely not of his choosing almost all with direct loyalties to Quinn. 

I am amazed that Chris Morgan and Bryant Young kept their jobs after the performance of our lines last year with no pass rush and no protection but the Brotherhood appears to be stronger than the desire to win as Morgan was with Quinn in Seattle and Bryant Young was with Quinn at both Florida and San Francisco,

I was no fan of Sark and agree with his dismissal but everyone with ties to Quinn previously seem to have gotten a pass or a promotion. In the case of Brock,  I have absolutely no idea what qualified such a promotion when I thought Parmalee did an adequate job while our WR play was inconsistant.  Must be that I-AA Hofstra connection.

Now I know what Quinn meant in the press conference when he said he would welcome Koetter and Mularkey to the Brotherhood. I hope the welcome was sincere.

More than sincere, I hope Koetter and Mularkey are given the control they need to effectively do the job they were hired to do.

I hope that Koetter and Mularkey are immensely successful in 2019  but it does appear that Quinn may have stacked the deck with his own Jokers!

Edited by lostnmexico

5 hours ago, lostnmexico said:

...Let me get to the point.

...I hope that Koetter and Mularkey are immensely successful in 2019  but it does appear that Quinn may have stacked the deck with his own Jokers!

It is the one thing that both excites and concerns.  There are a lot of Alphas in the room and they gotta figure out how to work together but I doubt there are too many teams with more former NFL head coaches and coordinators on an offense than we do.  This is DQs team and his job is on the line.  He already has taken the defense into his own hands and such a man is not likely to let someone else do whatever they want to on the other side of the ball that he is also 100% responsible for as HC.

PokerSteve likes this

Quinn runs the show. As the boss he can hire, fire amd re-hire whoever he wants. Time will tell surely but anymore regression over the next couple seasons puts him in the hot seat, IMO.

lostnmexico likes this

All coaches come from somewhere and picking people who you already have had a working relationship and trust is better than rolling the dice on a new face that might backfire on you. Plus, I doubt Quinn would bring any of these guys in if they were idiots. If I had a friend who was an idiot and was in the same field as me I'm still not going to pass his resume on to my boss.

You're a conspiracy theory fan, aren't you?  ;)  LOL

Sure, you're technically right, Quinn does have a weak historical connection with these guys, but we're talking 15-20 years ago for most of what you're pointing out.  That doesn't necessarily mean it is a bad thing.

People like to work with people they've had a good working relationship with in the past.  That isn't a Quinn thing, it is human nature.

Why do you think some people always seem to end up in the same places over time?  Sure, they may have some separate stops in between, but they tend to end up back together again eventually. 

You see it with NFL coaching staffs all the time.  Watch ANY of the new head coaching hires this year as they put their staff together.  I GUARANTEE a large percentage of their new staff will be people they've worked with before.  

I see it at work all the time.  A new CIO comes in and eventually a bunch of his former subordinates from other stops along his journey are in management positions around the organization.  Is it a bit of cronyism?  Sure, but as long as the people he brings in are qualified, it works.. and in some cases helps because the people he brings in can help the org understand the leaders vision based on their prior experience together.  

Can it backfire?  Absolutely.  Especially when loyalty takes precedent over bringing in people with the ability to actually do the job.  See Mike Smith with all of his Jags players and coaches when he was here.. and then Mike Smith and Koetter in Tampa Bay.  Some people have said Koetter's loyalty to Smith is what got him canned.

But it DOES work when you bring in qualified folks that you happen to have a past connection with.  I'm far less concerned about someone being Quinn's "boy" because of a passing connection 15-20 years ago than I am about about whether those people are qualified for the jobs they now hold.  And, at least for me, I feel the people Quinn has brought in are qualified.

All drama aside! I believe Quinn is doing everything in his power to bring in quality skilled coaching with similar philosophies to put a winner on the field.  

Oldmanfan likes this

44 minutes ago, pa_falcon_fan said:

You're a conspiracy theory fan, aren't you?  ;)  LOL

Sure, you're technically right, Quinn does have a weak historical connection with these guys, but we're talking 15-20 years ago for most of what you're pointing out.  That doesn't necessarily mean it is a bad thing.

People like to work with people they've had a good working relationship with in the past.  That isn't a Quinn thing, it is human nature.

Why do you think some people always seem to end up in the same places over time?  Sure, they may have some separate stops in between, but they tend to end up back together again eventually. 

You see it with NFL coaching staffs all the time.  Watch ANY of the new head coaching hires this year as they put their staff together.  I GUARANTEE a large percentage of their new staff will be people they've worked with before.  

I see it at work all the time.  A new CIO comes in and eventually a bunch of his former subordinates from other stops along his journey are in management positions around the organization.  Is it a bit of cronyism?  Sure, but as long as the people he brings in are qualified, it works.. and in some cases helps because the people he brings in can help the org understand the leaders vision based on their prior experience together.  

Can it backfire?  Absolutely.  Especially when loyalty takes precedent over bringing in people with the ability to actually do the job.  See Mike Smith with all of his Jags players and coaches when he was here.. and then Mike Smith and Koetter in Tampa Bay.  Some people have said Koetter's loyalty to Smith is what got him canned.

But it DOES work when you bring in qualified folks that you happen to have a past connection with.  I'm far less concerned about someone being Quinn's "boy" because of a passing connection 15-20 years ago than I am about about whether those people are qualified for the jobs they now hold.  And, at least for me, I feel the people Quinn has brought in are qualified.

yeah but OP used ALL CAPS!!!!! so that HAS to mean SOMETHING, doesn't it??

:ninja:

:lol:

So throughout his career Quinn has made connections with 3 people he thought were good coaches and as they progressed he offered them jobs.  These coaches make up maybe 15% of the total coaching staff?  Almost like how real like works, you meet make connections and along the line people who do their job well get re-connect with former colleagues because people remember their good work and want them to join their team.  This might not be how it works at the local fast food joint, but that's how the professional world works. 

27 minutes ago, IA Falcon07 said:

So throughout his career Quinn has made connections with 3 people he thought were good coaches and as they progressed he offered them jobs.  These coaches make up maybe 15% of the total coaching staff?  Almost like how real like works, you meet make connections and along the line people who do their job well get re-connect with former colleagues because people remember their good work and want them to join their team.  This might not be how it works at the local fast food joint, but that's how the professional world works. 

That's the way it worked for me. I got promoted by people I worked under at the newspaper from reporter to editor. My editor was promoted and in short order I followed this editor to another job where I was in charge of a dozen newspapers.

When I got the backing to start my own newspaper, the first person I hired was someone I had worked with and knew they would have no problem handling all the duties and responsibilities he would have to take on for me.

Starting my own business, I couldn't afford to hire anybody I didn't have 100 percent confidence in. Quinn is in the same situation with his hires this off-season. He can't afford to screw this up and I'm sure he thought long and hard about everybody he brought in as replacements as well as everybody who was retained.

Basically it's time to sit tight and see if he got this coaching replacement thingie right. I have a certain level of confidence because I sincerely believe Quinn is an extremely intelligent individual who has the experience and skills to put this thing together and get back to the SB.

Halcon-1 likes this

7 hours ago, papachaz said:

yeah but OP used ALL CAPS!!!!! so that HAS to mean SOMETHING, doesn't it??

:ninja:

:lol:

It must mean the Illuminati are behind it!  All these coaches are clearly part of the secret new world order and they're trying to recruit Falcons players to be a part of it.  Or maybe Quinn is actually QAnon!  They both have Q in their name!  THINK ABOUT IT!

:D:rolleyes: LOL

papachaz likes this

I have zero problem with Quinn hiring whoever they heck he wants to hire. More often than not, we trust the men who have been in the trenches with us before. You learn a lot about a man in the trenches. 

Parmalee did alright, but I don't think it was a demotion as much as it was a granted request. Apparently the guy asked to coach special teams. As a young coach, it makes sense that he wants to gain experience in pivotal areas and position groups. 

To the point that Hofstra is a 1-AA team... so what? There have been plenty of successful coaches and players come from those ranks. I guess I will choose to trust Quinn's judgment until such time as I no longer can. I haven't hit that mark yet, though. 

Geneaut and PokerSteve like this

44 minutes ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

To the point that Hofstra is a 1-AA team... so what? There have been plenty of successful coaches and players come from those ranks. I guess I will choose to trust Quinn's judgment until such time as I no longer can. I haven't hit that mark yet, though. 

^^^ This also.  Who cares if they worked for a 1-AA team 15-20 years ago?  Everyone starts somewhere and works their way up.  I'd be way more concerned if he was plucking guys who were coming directly from a 1-AA team.  He isn't.  

Morris was a head coach in the NFL and has 17 years of NFL experience since spending 1 (ONE!) season as a graduate assistant at Hofstra.  That more than qualifies him to be assistant head coach.  You can argue a guy who cut his teeth on defensive has no business being the WRs coach, but since all his defensive experience was with coaching secondaries, maybe he might know a thing or two about how a secondary is going to try and control WRs.. and can teach WRs how to circumvent those things.  

Flood was a head coach in the Big 10 with 15 years of Big 10 offensive coaching experience since his days at Hofstra.  That more than makes him qualified for his new role as in-game clock manager... which isn't exactly a powerful role.  

Dave Brock was a head coach at a Division I school, has 14 years of college offensive coaching experience, and is going into his 2nd NFL season since his days at Hofstra.  

Bernie Parmalee has 7 years of Special Teams coaching experience vs 3 years as a RB coach so he is significantly more experienced at coaching ST... and now he is headed back there.  

11 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Nice info..Morris role is unchanged from last year so no issue there.  

I have an issue there. I think our wide receivers are grossly under coached. They wait till the ball gets to their gut before trying to make a catch. This is the NFL, no one gets wide open. You have to make a catch in traffic by using your body (see butt) to shield the defender and extend your hands to take the catch of the ball. I think Raheem Morris is a fine coach with great motivational skills but I would rather see him on the defensive side of the ball.

Falconsin2012 and Oldmanfan like this

5 minutes ago, *TMo* said:

I have an issue there. I think our wide receivers are grossly under coached. They wait till the ball gets to their gut before trying to make a catch. This is the NFL, no one gets wide open. You have to make a catch in traffic by using your body (see butt) to shield the defender and extend your hands to take the catch of the ball. I think Raheem Morris is a fine coach with great motivational skills but I would rather see him on the defensive side of the ball.

He isn’t Shanny in terms of coaching his WR unit...but the fact he excels as passing game coordinator makes it tough to move him back to defense