Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons Fan MVP

What are the advantages and disadvantages of hiring Koetter and firing Sark?

21 posts in this topic

In what ways do you expect Dirk Koetter to be better than Steve Sarkisian as an offensive coordinator? Does anybody on here wish we would have kept Sark? I personally think Dirk Koetter will be much better against playoff caliber teams. What do you guys think?

Advantages:

1. Our future HoF QB loves Koetter, knows his system and came close to a SB appearance with a much inferior team with him.

2. He has a plethora of real NFL experience and divisional insights.

3. Isn't Sark.

Disadvantages:

1. The rest of the league would make funny jokes about Sark and how bad he was... we won't get to enjoy that anymore. 

The main advantage is scapegoating Sark.

The disadvantage is this doesn't make us better and moves us one step closer to HC turnover if we get bad injury luck again next year.

runshoot likes this

2 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

The main advantage is scapegoating Sark.

The disadvantage is this doesn't make us better and moves us one step closer to HC turnover if we get bad injury luck again next year.

Firing Quinn or TD is not the answer.

Draftnut57, JDaveG, jas82487 and 1 other like this

22 hours ago, falconfansince1968 said:

BEVELL was a better choice for this team................................PERIOD

Why do you think that?

is he good at in game changes based on what the opponent is doing?  that always seems to be a problem  [that may be what socalfalcon fan was implying as well]

also is there any way we could approach the offensive juggernaut of 2016?  i'm worried we won't have the running backs for this anymore bc Tevin may be gone and bc of our ever injured freeman

Disadvantage

Shift to motion preplay - This was a major advantage that Shanahan discovered and when we hired Sark, it was one of the key elements mention that should carry over on offense.  I'm not sure how adept Koetter is at using shifts/motions on offense.  It allowed Matt Ryan to read the field.  I also noticed that there is a coorelation between the creativity of the shift/motion and the length of playcall, which is why Shanahan had super long playcalls, and when they were shortened when sark came in our shifts/motions were less creative.  Koetter likely has even shorter playcalls, considering Matt Ryan could frequently audible at the LOS and the no-huddles. I feel that aspect of our scheme will completely dissapear.

Run to set up the pass - I'm sure Koetter will come in saying "We will run 1st", but every coach says that.  The differences are in the games when the run doesn't work the 1st time and it becomes abandoned.  That's why Koetter has a pass happy offense.  He never comes into a game planning to pass 80%, it just ends that way when the run game fails to start.  As a result, the impact of our play-action will be reduced.

Predictability, becoming less reliant on the run actually makes you unpredictable.  If you understand football, you know that when a team is in a passing situation, it is much easier to predict the play than when they have a chance to run it.  Simply because if the defense is running a blitz, they know the offense will have to get the ball out quick.  Defenses also know what plays to expect in order to beat their coverage.  If your main gripe against Sark was about him being predictable, don't expect much to change this year.

Advantages

Passing attack.  When we get in offensive passing shootouts, (which is often what happens when we play the saints) Koetter is well suited for those battles.  

Experience - Obviously has years of experience as an OC against NFL defenses.  

Advantages

Familiarity with matt ryan and the offense. 

Will give matt more freedom in the offense.

Will hold players accountable.

Familiarity with divisonal opponents. He gave the saints fits when he was with tampa.

Disadvantages

None.

When we had a bad oline and jackson and turner past their prime. 

We couldnt run the ball or hold up in protection. So. He called alot bubblescreens to protect matt and get the ball out quicker.

With a better group of rbs and a upgraded oline. And a new time management coach. This offense will be more high powered and feared again.

My biggest worry is that if we have a good year next year Koetter is going to get HC offers.  I really don’t want to go through another OC search next year (or even the year after).

14 minutes ago, Brewcrew said:

My biggest worry is that if we have a good year next year Koetter is going to get HC offers.  I really don’t want to go through another OC search next year (or even the year after).

Koetter won't get a HC shot after 1 year removed, IMO. He'd have to best 500 points and then you'll have people wondering if it was the talent/support staff.