Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FalconKick

Falcons hire new special teams coordinator

48 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

Anything is better at this point.  We haven’t had explosive special teams since Tim Dwight.  Rossum was okay, but I want more.

Ehhh....probably closer to the Metcalf era!!!!

49 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

Of all the changes, this seems like the one that would have the highest chance for a better result than just bringing back all the old guys. You can easily make the argument Sark already did a pretty good job and Manuel would do a much better job with all the players back. Not with Armstrong. 

I wouldn't diss the old guys much. We were successful with them as well.

57 minutes ago, Googlywoogly said:

Just heard on 92.9 that before he was in football he graduated from West Point and spent time as an officer in the Army.  Including special forces.

And that would definitely make him good enough to be an a-hole...

JDaveG, AlabamaFalconFan and Emmitt like this

24 minutes ago, osiruz said:

I'll take a bag of Doritos over Armstrong at this point. Just get me someone who can punt, and some good blocking on Sts.

Agree, now find me a good punter and move Bosher to a gunner role on ST lol.

1 hour ago, FalconKick said:

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/_mobileview/news/falcons-name-ben-kotwica-special-teams-coordinator

Ben Kotwica, former special teams coordinator for the Redskins for the past 5 seasons. Ranked 8th last year

Football Outsiders, an analytics website, ranked the Redskins eighth in the league following the 2018 season in a metric that takes every special teams phase into account.

According to the Redskins team site, Kotwica helped the Redskins rank second in the NFL during the 2017 seasons in kickoff return average allowed at 18.7 yards per return, the team's lowest average allowed since 2001 (17.2).

1 hour ago, Googlywoogly said:

Just heard on 92.9 that before he was in football he graduated from West Point and spent time as an officer in the Army.  Including special forces.

So instead of hiring the Navy Seals to come in for a week every offseason & have the players flipping' logs & **** to build the 'brotherhood', DQ opted to just hire a special forces guy to be a coach. Sound economical move that I'm sure Blank appreciates.

I can see the mid-season presser now...

DQ: Today is a rest day. Tomorrow we will look at film & Julio will continue to rest. Thursday is log flipping day... except for Julio, who will be resting. Then later in the week we'll have our walkthrough without Julio, who is still resting, and we'll get ready to be the best version of ourselves we can be.

Also... don't be at all surprised if DQ changes calling it Special Teams to calling it Special Forces.

1 hour ago, rogueleadersf said:

Come on,don't short Hester now...but yeah, that's about it

You’re right.  Hester did pretty well while he was here.

rogueleadersf likes this

1 hour ago, KRUNKuno said:

Anything is better at this point.  We haven’t had explosive special teams since Tim Dwight.  Rossum was okay, but I want more.

LMAO

• Rossum - 11.2 yards per punt return and 22.0 yards per kick return
  • Weems - 10.9 yards per punt return and 25.3 yards per kick return
  • Hester - 10.5 yards per punt return and 25.2 yards per kick return
  • Dwight - 9.4 yards per punt return and 23.2 yards per kick return

11 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

LMAO

They also had Darrick Vaughn returning kickoffs in 2000 & 2001 and that dude was pretty special... then went to the Texans & was washed up a year later.

Jerious Norwood did some nice stuff on KO returns also in 2008 & 2009.

Heck, the few times they let Deangelo Hall return punts, he wasn't half bad either.

Guy leaves Washington to come and work for us.. Blank must have paid him well.. Basically not a promotion, just the same job for a different organization.. He didn't get fired so he left on his own will. 

5 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Guy leaves Washington to come and work for us.. Blank must have paid him well.. Basically not a promotion, just the same job for a different organization.. He didn't get fired so he left on his own will. 

I'd leave Washington too with that front office management. 

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

Just now, MayorWest13 said:

I'd leave Washington too with that front office management. 

Yeah, but looking at our past 2 seasons and assuming the guy had a family to move in the process.. Somewhere a little motivation had to come in play. Maybe it was money, maybe it was the fact he needed a change in scenery.. But he wasn't in danger of losing his job for the Redskins 

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

LMAO

Weems is insanely disrespected here for a Pro Bowler.

5 hours ago, 4LoveoftheGame said:

Just curious why he did not stay with the Redskins.

Redskins' Tomsula, Callahan could soon follow Ben Kotwica out the door

CHRIS LINGEBACH
JANUARY 09, 2019 - 6:55 PM

Ben Kotwica chose to leave the Redskins for the same special teams coordinator position in Atlanta on Wednesday. His likely motive, Chris Russell says, was being fed up with the toxic culture at Redskins Park.

"I don't know if his deal actually was up," Russell told 106.7 The Fan's Chad Dukes and Thom Loverro. "Matthew Paras of The Washington Times just reported on Twitter (Kotwica) was granted permission, which tells me that his contract was not up."

But the acrimony doesn't leave with Kotwica. Two others on Jay Gruden's staff could soon be out the door as well.

"I was told (last week) that there were three coaches specifically," Russell said. "And I've been reporting about Callahan wanting out and Tomsula wanting out, and the third coach was Ben Kotwica."

"This does not surprise me in any way," he added. "What I was told at the time was they are done, they are tired of the three-ring circus. They don't want to be here. It is not fun for them. It is not enjoyable for them. It's going nowhere. They understand the politics. They understand the culture, in that there is none, and they understand how acrimonious and smoke-filled that building is. Period."

"Your sources are telling you confirmed that these guys want out, simply because of how toxic the culture has become in Ashburn?" Dukes said.

"Yeah. Now, that is just one source," Russell clarified. "I have been able to get it confirmed on Callahan, yes, by more than one source. Not on Tomsula.

"And again, Kotwica was the third coach mentioned in the trio of coaches that wanted out and that's what leads us to, presumably, him going to the Redskins and saying, 'Hey look, I'm not happy here' or whatever the situation is. 'I'd like to interview with the Atlanta Falcons.' And of course they hire him."

Russell noted that Falcons head coach Dan Quinn, like Kotwica, is a New Jersey-area native, which could have precipitated the move. "I don't know exactly what that relationship is," he said.

"I'm not saying that Kotwica was walking on water and was not able to be criticized, or not in trouble at times or just this saint. I'm not saying that," he said. "But what I am saying is, I've known Ben Kotwica for five years – that dude does not mess around. He is a hardcore. He's a military guy. He fought for our country and he's turned himself from a soldier and a member of our military, into a pretty **** fine special teams coordinator.

"I just think he got fed up with, again, the circus and the culture and all of the stuff that goes on around that building that people don't want to necessarily admit, but that fans are finally starting to realize really is a thing and not just a media creation."

"Does Jay Gruden think it's a toxic situation?" Loverro asked.

"I don't know that for sure, Tommy," replied Russell. "But he'd be pretty dumb if he didn't."

https://thefandc.radio.com/jim-tomsula-bill-callahan-could-soon-follow-ben-kotwica

12 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I’d go after Callahan just to get his input on personnel for the o-line. That dude is a great o-lime coach. 

Pretty sure he's the d-line coach and I would like him after seeing the improvements on the redskins team

9 minutes ago, MayorWest13 said:

Pretty sure he's the d-line coach and I would like him after seeing the improvements on the redskins team

No, he’s definitely the o-line coach. He had the same position in Dallas a while back. Literally everywhere he goes the o-lime gets better. 

Best part? He runs a mix of gap and zone. Just like Koetter. 

Francis York Morgan likes this

45 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I’d go after Callahan just to get his input on personnel for the o-line. That dude is a great o-lime coach. 

I'd love this. Not sure Quinn would ditch Morgan though. 

JDaveG likes this

Falcons hire former Washington Redskins special teams coordinator Ben Kotwica, 44, for the same position. He spent the last five seasons with the Redskins. Prior to that, he held various position with the New York Jets from 2007-13, including special teams coordinator.

Dan Quinn and new special teams coach Ben Kotwica were on same New York Jets staff 2007-08. Quinn was def. line coach, while Kotwica was def/ST quality control. Kotwica spent 8 years in Army and was selected to fly the AH-64 Apache Longbow, the world’s best attack helicopter.

Ben Kotwica played at Army from 1993-96 and was a three-year starter at linebacker. He was the captain of the only 10-win team in Army history, leading the Black Knights to a 10-2 record and the program’s most recent Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy in 1996.

ParanoidAndroid, Emmitt and JDaveG like this