Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MD-FalconFan13

We need Quinnen Williams

112 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

This is kinda the exact logic we used when going to get Julio. Think about it. We had a WR that was equal or almost equal to some of the best at the position. We gave up a multitude of picks to go get a guy that was better. It has proven to be one of the best moves in franchise history. 

In watching Quinnen Williams I see a guy thats going to wreak havoc on offenses. We would be pairing him with another great piece in Grady, given we resign him. This is the type of move that puts you over the top. Just my opinoin

We didn't have a WR anywhere near eliete. Roddy was a very solid NFL player, but in all honest every team had at least one guy as good. Not a bad analogy, but I really don't think Roddy at WR = Jarrett at DT. It is all a matter of opinion. Roddy was a lazy guy who finally got it and turned into a worker who became an asset at his position. His natural talent doesn't rival Jarrett's.

2 hours ago, falcndave said:

We didn't have a WR anywhere near eliete. Roddy was a very solid NFL player, but in all honest every team had at least one guy as good. Not a bad analogy, but I really don't think Roddy at WR = Jarrett at DT. It is all a matter of opinion. Roddy was a lazy guy who finally got it and turned into a worker who became an asset at his position. His natural talent doesn't rival Jarrett's.

Roddy was plenty talented, even won a state championship in wrestling in South Carolina. He was lazy but that changed ironically after Petrino came. He lead the league in receptions when Julio was drafted, he was turning 30 (similar age to Julio now).

Francis York Morgan and Stryka like this

16 hours ago, falcndave said:

Is this a serious statement? Maybe you've forgotten how dominant Roddy was, but just fyi......Julio was drafted in 2011. Roddy led the league in receptions in 2010, was #2 in total receiving yards and finished the season with 10 TDs good for 7th in the league. He was also a 1st team All-Pro that year. So to say every team has a receiver that is 1st team All-Pro is patently false. To claim that Jarrett is a better DT than Roddy was a WR is laughable.

I won't argue natural talent, because that's a little abstract to me. But as far as performance, Roddy was on a level Jarrett is trying to reach. Let me know when Jarrett makes one Pro-Bowl or All-Pro team. Roddy has been to 4 Pro-Bowls and 1 All-Pro 1st team. 

After watching the NC game I think I’d wait on C Wilkins....maybe trade down a few spots and gain a little draft capital and grab him

45 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Is this a serious statement? Maybe you've forgotten how dominant Roddy was, but just fyi......Julio was drafted in 2011. Roddy led the league in receptions in 2010, was #2 in total receiving yards and finished the season with 10 TDs good for 7th in the league. He was also a 1st team All-Pro that year. So to say every team has a receiver that is 1st team All-Pro is patently false. To claim that Jarrett is a better DT than Roddy was a WR is laughable.

I won't argue natural talent, because that's a little abstract to me. But as far as performance, Roddy was on a level Jarrett is trying to reach. Let me know when Jarrett makes one Pro-Bowl or All-Pro team. Roddy has been to 4 Pro-Bowls and 1 All-Pro 1st team. 

Roddy is taken for granted by posters here. Dude was absolutely elite at his peak, far moreso than Grady (as of now).

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Roddy is taken for granted by posters here. Dude was absolutely elite at his peak, far moreso than Grady (as of now).

This isn't even up for debate. If Roddy coming from UAB had a veteran like Joe Horn to teach him the ropes from day one instead of a few years later he would have way better numbers.  That said dude was a top 8 WR and the year Julio came, he led us with 1350 yards and was snubbed from the Probowl.  Roddy was a 2 time state wrestling champ. Dude was somewhat of a sneak athlete.  I mean he led the nation in receiving as a senior at UAB.  Deceptive speed and very clutch on 3rd down.

Anyway....Grady is coming along, Roddy actually got to the elite echelon.  Grady braised it this year and for many he is right there but I think he has to continue to prove it.   Get us 6-8 sacks a year and 15-20 TFLs regularly and he climbs into the bottom of that elite tier.  Don't know if he will ever be Fletcher Cox, Geno Atkins or Donald but close will be plenty good enough.

Quinnen has a lot of potential and more than ideal measurments.  @14 Im happy but trading up.  Not so much.

Francis York Morgan likes this

1 hour ago, Stryka said:

This isn't even up for debate. If Roddy coming from UAB had a veteran like Joe Horn to teach him the ropes from day one instead of a few years later he would have way better numbers.  That said dude was a top 8 WR and the year Julio came, he led us with 1350 yards and was snubbed from the Probowl.  Roddy was a 2 time state wrestling champ. Dude was somewhat of a sneak athlete.  I mean he led the nation in receiving as a senior at UAB.  Deceptive speed and very clutch on 3rd down.

Anyway....Grady is coming along, Roddy actually got to the elite echelon.  Grady braised it this year and for many he is right there but I think he has to continue to prove it.   Get us 6-8 sacks a year and 15-20 TFLs regularly and he climbs into the bottom of that elite tier.  Don't know if he will ever be Fletcher Cox, Geno Atkins or Donald but close will be plenty good enough.

Quinnen has a lot of potential and more than ideal measurments.  @14 Im happy but trading up.  Not so much.

Ran a 4.45 and had a 41" vert...he was just plain athletic, period.

But yeah. One of my favorite Falcons.

Stryka likes this

4 hours ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

I consider Roddy to be a great example of what can happen when talent and focus meet. That said, I really don't think he was as good as guys like Julio Jones, Michael Haynes, Billy Johnson, Alfred Jenkins...just to name a few from the Falcons history. I know his stats were better, but so was his QB in his best years. I think 10 other guys in the league could have did what he did on that team. What is exceptional about him is that HE found a way to turn his career around and do it. 

Roddy is #3 on my all time favorite Falcons list. I don't appreciate him because I consider him an exceptional talent. I appreciate him because I consider him an exceptional man. The one thing age and experience has shown me is that people don't change. Roddy's story reminds me that the exceptions to that rule of thumb give us all hope for the future. 

3 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Ran a 4.45 and had a 41" vert...he was just plain athletic, period.

But yeah. One of my favorite Falcons.

Oh yea. I meant as he aged. Coming out he was a stud. Could get deep. Could make the contested catch and ran good routes. He was a freak early but even as he aged he could do plenty damage. 

Francis York Morgan likes this

On 1/9/2019 at 2:32 PM, DogIsYourName said:

I'm riding in here on a zombified horse to tell you we should never have won that last game!  Should've started Schaub!!!  What the **** do we have Schaub for if not to respectfully lose games???

Exactly this.  That is why I don't see us trading up for a player.  If we did trade up, it would look ******* stupid since we could have lost the last game and done the same thing.  I'm not saying we try to lose, but the last game you start Schaub, and we are getting a top 10 pick. 

DogIsYourName likes this

On 1/10/2019 at 11:29 AM, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Over a long sample, Top 10 talent will be marginally greater than talent from 11-20, which will be marginally greater than talent 21-30, and so on and so forth.

I just love how you can pull these 'facts' straight up out of your @$$. 

ZoneOne01 and Stryka like this

6 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Christian Wilkins is just as good

No, I don't think he's remotely close. But we will see. I wouldn't mind Wilkins if other guys are gone but he's not my first or second choice. My early scouting has these guys 1-5 (ps. I'm only ranking DL prospect and not in order of whether they'll be available, but in my perception if there abilities in the NFL)

1 Quinnen Williams 

2 Clelin Ferrel

3 Ed Oliver

4 Jeffey Simmons 

5 Oshane Ximines

Christian Wilkins would be in a tie for 6th with Zach Allen. I'd be happy with any of the top 5 guys, though I'm sure several will be gone by our pick. They all show considerable talent that I think will transfer to the NFL

Edited by MD-FalconFan13
ZoneOne01 likes this

2 hours ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

No, I don't think he's remotely close. But we will see. I wouldn't mind Wilkins if other guys are gone but he's not my first or second choice. My early scouting has these guys 1-5 (ps. I'm only ranking DL prospect and not in order of whether they'll be available, but in my perception if there abilities in the NFL)

1 Quinnen Williams 

2 Clelin Ferrel

3 Ed Oliver

4 Jeffey Simmons 

5 Oshane Ximines

Christian Wilkins would be in a tie for 6th with Zach Allen. I'd be happy with any of the top 5 guys, though I'm sure several will be gone by our pick. They all show considerable talent that I think will transfer to the NFL

I love Bama but Williams disappears at times

Yo_Lover, Stryka and Falconsin2012 like this

9 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I love Bama but Williams disappears at times

He had a good play on third down in the first drive against UGA and after that I never noticed him again. 

Knight of God likes this

4 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

He had a good play on third down in the first drive against UGA and after that I never noticed him again. 

He’s good but you have to be careful with our hype. Our system means more than most think and the halo effect is strong. Our best safety to come out in years is Eddie Jackson who this board thought little of. Keep that in mind.

Sidecar Falcon likes this

10 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

He’s good but you have to be careful with our hype. Our system means more than most think and the halo effect is strong. Our best safety to come out in years is Eddie Jackson who this board thought little of. Keep that in mind.

******* loved Eddie man, he's one of the reasons I love watching the Bears defense. Him, Mack, and the Dawgs Floyd and Roquan.

Knight of God likes this

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

******* loved Eddie man, he's one of the reasons I love watching the Bears defense. Him, Mack, and the Dawgs Floyd and Roquan.

Josh Jacobs to replace Teco???

9 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Christian Wilkins is just as good

I like Wilkins, but I'm kinda surprised you want a finesse guy.

25 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Mocked em here, but I'm guessing Quinn thought we were set at safety...funny how losing both starters screws with that.

2 hours ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

1 Quinnen Williams 

2 Clelin Ferrel

3 Ed Oliver

4 Jeffey Simmons 

5 Oshane Ximines

Never heard of Ximines. Sell me?

31 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Josh Jacobs to replace Teco???

Haven't look at him besides what he did against UGA, let me watch some more and I'll get back to you

Knight of God likes this

10 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I like Wilkins, but I'm kinda surprised you want a finesse guy.

Mocked em here, but I'm guessing Quinn thought we were set at safety...funny how losing both starters screws with that.

Never heard of Ximines. Sell me?

Ximines is a guy who'll likely rise during the months ands weeks leading up to the draft. He's got excellent hand usage and is relentless. Great counter moves and is a strategic rusher. He doesn't have that devastating first step like Beasley, but he's got all the pass rush moves and strings them together in all the ways Beasley doesn't. 

Stats look good and he's a consistent presence. His competition wasnt great, but he showed up in big games against the few good teams they did play. 

You're going to hear his name and I wouldn't be surprised if he slips into the end of the 1st round