Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MD-FalconFan13

We need Quinnen Williams

112 posts in this topic

I remember making a thread 5 years ago about a certain DT that I had scouted and fallen in love with. It wasn't until after the NFL combine and this player's ridiculous performance, but I'd been reviewing tape and after the combine performance I was completely sold that this guy was going to be the best player available at our pick and we should go get him at all costs. As fate would have it he was on the board when we picked and he played a major position of need for us. That player was none other than reigning Defensive player of the year (and likely to repeat this year) Aaron Donald. 

As you know we went with Jake Matthews. Now Jake is a good player and he's coming off what is likely one of his, if not the his very, best seasons this year. But we can all agree Donald is a very different animal. So once again I've started to review some tape. I like Ed Oliver's tape a lot and Derrick Brown looks like he could be a force in time. But I feel confident in saying that the best player in the draft this year is Quinnen Williams.....and it ain't close.

This guys is next level disruptive, and the kicker is he's younger than Aaron Donald was when he came into the league. He just turned 21! Let that marinate for you. This guy just dominated college football and up until a few weeks ago, couldn't legally buy beer. Williams is a legit people mover. He's got the potential to be nearly as dominate as Donald. The speed, power and relentlessness are all there. 

You want speed, strength and hand usage......here you go. 

OyWP6B.gif

2.gif

Need someone to take on Double teams and free up others.........

1.gif

The guy can do it all. The only catch is.......he's so good he'll get taken well in advance of our pick if we stand pat. Which brings me to my point.

We need to go get this guy. Winning that last game vs Tampa knocked us all the way from 8th to 14th. Steep price. Now if we want to move up to the get him, we'll need luck and to cough up a lot of draft capital. But Im telling you, this is the guy to do it for. He'll transform our defense overnight along side Grady Jarrett. We'll definitely need to give up our 2nd rounder to get him. But if he's around anywhere after pick 5-6, we need to seriously consider doing it. Some have him going in the top 3. I just don't know if teams will view DT that highly. Even Aaron Donald went 13th. But it's pretty much a lock he'll be gone in the top 10. If we can move into the back half of the top 10 and come away with Williams our days of having a middling defense will be over. 

I'm riding in here on a zombified horse to tell you we should never have won that last game!  Should've started Schaub!!!  What the **** do we have Schaub for if not to respectfully lose games???

vitaman and ShmevinShmarris like this

I've been impressed with his hand usage. I think he's most likely gone before we're up and based on what I've seen so far (which isnt much....havent started "scouting" yet) he isnt the type of guy we should go get. 

If he's there, cool. And there was some push back against his stock the other night because he didnt look all that well conditioned and had mediocre get off. So he could be. 

But I'm not convinced one way or the other yet. 

2 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

I'm riding in here on a zombified horse to tell you we should never have won that last game!  Should've started Schaub!!!  What the **** do we have Schaub for if not to respectfully lose games???

Yes we should have.

He be too far off our pick B, we should have sand bagged. I would like Devin White or Cody Ford if either falls to our pick. I'd be OK with Greedy Williams as well.

7 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

And just to be clear: him getting driven back into the secondary by a double team isnt really the best highlight tape, bruh!

Yeah, that was a weird choice lmao. I love QWill, but dude can't handle double teams. Split them, sure.

Loved Donald too, but at least we had a chance at him. No chance of even sniffing Quinnen unless we trade the farm. I’ll pass. He’s going to be special, but that’ll be a lot of picks. 

JDaveG and vitaman like this

He's definitely overcome some major tragedy with the passing of his mother at such a young age. I expect him blow up the combine and become an instant fan favorite. He's one of those players I can cheer for no matter where he goes. 

Osiruz and Francis York Morgan like this

21 minutes ago, A-TowN.- said:

Loved Donald too, but at least we had a chance at him. No chance of even sniffing Quinnen unless we trade the farm. I’ll pass. He’s going to be special, but that’ll be a lot of picks. 

I think the far more interesting angle on this is that "Donald" in March 2014 wasnt/isnt Donald in 2018. 

A lot of us like him a lot. I'm sure I posted dozens of times about how impressive he was. But he any of us knew he was going to be an immediate DPOY candidate, he obviously wouldnt have been around long enough for the Rams to draft him with their second pick. 

And yet.....every single year, people default to talking about the draft like its a perfectly efficient market where each player is a full defined asset. 

Its crazy. 

Williams looks like he could beast but I don't see anything in his game that would make me trade up into the top 5 for him.  Plenty of talent to be had on DL and I will continue to lightly cheer for a highly touted OT in the 1st.

slick0ne and kiwifalcon like this

36 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

And just to be clear: him getting driven back into the secondary by a double team isnt really the best highlight tape, bruh!

That was one of the top OC/OG prospects and a 2nd lineman that had to double team him to stop the guy. The purpose of using that clip was to highlight his ability to draw double teams and allow other guys to draw one on ones. When he was left one on one with that guy he made quick work of a top 3 OG/C prospect. I think the guy has the potential to be a game-changer. 

Shnikies likes this

23 minutes ago, Diggable Birds said:

ID rather have Ferrell form Clemson these Bama DLmen dominate in college but are average as Pro's

Same for Clemson DE's they are atrocious in the NFL (Lawson, Beasley, Dodd, Malliaciah Goodman/badman).

ZoneOne01 and Diggable Birds like this

Because one player can simply win games by themselves. Evidenced by the college football national championship game....

The moment he opens his mouth and talks **** about an opponent you'll be asking why they wasted those picks on a guy with no class and that he needs to shut up and tackle

My problem is that I think that Jarrett is just below elite. He gets it done without the same quality guys that Donald has standing next to him. That puts us in place to go out and find an equal or almost equal complimentary piece. We are not needy enough to have to mortgage our draft future and grab a player who is better than Jarrett. It would be a building move for a desperate team. I don't think that is where we are at. That said, I absolutely love the player and your analysis!

vitaman likes this

Q Williams would be my all time pick for this draft. He will not be there at 14.

Too many are saying picking in the top 10 is worse than picking inside the top 10. You are completely ignoring the fact a bad GMs picked bad players, not that top 10 ARE bad players. Its so stupid to even say that. There is a reason Cleveland and Jax have been at the top of the draft every season. They have bad front office people who pick bad players. When you have good FO people you get picks like Khalil Mack, Mike Evans, Barr, Goff and Gurley, wentz, E Elliot, Bosa, Ramsey, Mcaffery, Mahomes. If you pick in the top 10 and dont pick a winner, that's because you picked the wrong player. Who cares if you "reach". If we were in the top 10 drafting and the best player was rank 18, pick him. You have that luxury. So stupid to think a lower pick is somehow better.

Additionally Someone made a post here about man love for Raekwon Davis. Just so happens you get to see him #99 in the gifs above. You see him doing NOTHING. congrats.

1 hour ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

That was one of the top OC/OG prospects and a 2nd lineman that had to double team him to stop the guy. The purpose of using that clip was to highlight his ability to draw double teams and allow other guys to draw one on ones. When he was left one on one with that guy he made quick work of a top 3 OG/C prospect. I think the guy has the potential to be a game-changer. 

He may or may not be a game changer. But any rep where any DL gets blown off the ball by a double team isnt a good rep. I also dont think "the ability to draw double teams" is something that translates 1:1 from college to the NFL. And if a player in question "draws double teams" that drive him nearly out of frame, he isnt winning the rep. 

Not a big deal as it was just one play. Doesnt really prove or disprove his value as a prospect. I just thought it was pretty lol. 

12 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Q Williams would be my all time pick for this draft. He will not be there at 14.

Too many are saying picking in the top 10 is worse than picking inside the top 10. You are completely ignoring the fact a bad GMs picked bad players, not that top 10 ARE bad players. Its so stupid to even say that. There is a reason Cleveland and Jax have been at the top of the draft every season. They have bad front office people who pick bad players. When you have good FO people you get picks like Khalil Mack, Mike Evans, Barr, Goff and Gurley, wentz, E Elliot, Bosa, Ramsey, Mcaffery, Mahomes. If you pick in the top 10 and dont pick a winner, that's because you picked the wrong player. Who cares if you "reach". If we were in the top 10 drafting and the best player was rank 18, pick him. You have that luxury. So stupid to think a lower pick is somehow better.

Additionally Someone made a post here about man love for Raekwon Davis. Just so happens you get to see him #99 in the gifs above. You see him doing NOTHING. congrats.

I disagree with this like ~75-85%. 

In the vast majority of cases, players arent defined products when drafted. Good players are usually developed, not drafted. And I think its a mistake to distill things down to "bad front office people who pick bad players." 

Every front office in the league picks "bad players." Every front office in the league picks "good players." 

I DO agree with the general point of "what does it matter if you "reach" for a player that ends up being great." The best example of that is someone like Travis Frederick, a pick that was brutally criticized as a "reach for a 3rd rounder" and almost immediately produced one of the best OLs over the last 10 years in the league. A player who ended up developing into arguably the best center in the NFL. Is it a "reach" to overdraft a dude who ends up being the best in the league as his position? Nah, I dont think so. 

18 minutes ago, runshoot said:

+1

People also have to stop saying "theres no chance player X won't be there at Pick 14" 

Every single years consensus Top 10 picks fall. Every. Year. 

Is it likely WIlliams is on the board? No, not really. But it wasnt likely that Derwin James would be on the board. Or Myles Jack. Or Laremy Tunsil. Or Sharrif Floyd. x100.