Summerhill

Mid round 5T/SDE

15 posts in this topic

I think most Falcons fans would agree the team needs a young physical bull rushing DE to be a long term replacement for what Adrian Clayborn did. Thus far the Falcons have emphasized undersized speed DEs. They need a big guy to pair with McKinnley. It seems Rashan Gary is the only 1st rounder that would be appropriate for where the Falcons pick. After that, things are still murky but here are the guys I can figure out in no particular order. 

• Zach Allen, Boston College, Senior, 6'5", 285 lbs
    • 2016: 6 sacks, 10 TFL
    • 2017: 4 sacks, 15.5 TFL
    • 2018: 6.5 sacks, 15 TFL
  • Joe Gaziano, Northwestern, Senior, 6'4", 275 lbs
    • 2016: 4.5 sacks, 6.5 TFL
    • 2017: 9 sacks, 13 TFL
    • 2018: 7.5 sacks, 12.5 TFL
  • Christian Rector, USC, Junior, 6'4", 275 lbs
    • 2017: 7.5 sacks, 11.5 TFL
    • 2018: 4.5 sacks, 9 TFL
  • Austin Bryant, Clemson, Senior, 6'5", 265 lbs
    • 2017: 8.5 sacks, 15.5 TFL
    • 2018: 8.5 sacks, 15TFL
  • Charles Omenihu, Texas, Senior, 6'6", 275 lbs
    • 2017: 4 sacks, 7 TFL 
    • 2018: 9.5 sacks, 18 TFL
  • LJ Collier, TCU, Senior, 6'4", 275 lbs
    • 2017: 4 sacks, 4.5 TFL
    • 2018: 6 sacks, 11.5 TFL
Smiler11 likes this

I'm a big Zach Allen fan. I think he'd be great with DQ. He's physical and consistent. Doesn't make mistakes. He's smart and plays good football. 40 TFLs in three years isn't anything to turn your nose up at. I think he'll go top 64 though. 

It's definitely a need. You saw that with us releasing and then re-signing Shelby in the offseason.

I'm a big Gary fan, but any of the guys you listed would be good options and an upgrade.

Omenihu is an interesting guy tbh. Need to watch more of him, pretty stiff in the hips, but I'm interested for sure. Projected in the 4th-5th I think, but with a good senior bowl and combine he might be a day 2 guy.

On 1/9/2019 at 3:58 PM, vel said:

I'm a big Zach Allen fan. I think he'd be great with DQ. He's physical and consistent. Doesn't make mistakes. He's smart and plays good football. 40 TFLs in three years isn't anything to turn your nose up at. I think he'll go top 64 though. 

How bout Gaziano? I think similar just a round or two later?

17 hours ago, IA Falcon07 said:

Anthony Nelson from Iowa declared.  He was very disruptive this season.  9.5 sacks this season and 7.5 sacks last season.

6'7' 271 lbs

Big ten kid. Do you know how he fared against Wisconsin's o line? Just curious since they were tabbed as one of the best in the country

17 hours ago, IA Falcon07 said:

Anthony Nelson from Iowa declared.  He was very disruptive this season.  9.5 sacks this season and 7.5 sacks last season.

6'7' 271 lbs

He looks pretty good to me. He's not making a play on every snap (who does?) but he makes the RT work just about every time. He's pretty rarely just completely handled. 

28 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

He looks pretty good to me. He's not making a play on every snap (who does?) but he makes the RT work just about every time. He's pretty rarely just completely handled. 

He plays pretty strong, but I'm not feeling him tbh. Got schooled vs Wisconsin and the dude just has no suddenness to his game. That's a big deal for me - he was just so frequently way too slow to chase plays down.

53 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

He plays pretty strong, but I'm not feeling him tbh. Got schooled vs Wisconsin and the dude just has no suddenness to his game. That's a big deal for me - he was just so frequently way too slow to chase plays down.

Chasing plays down, like from the backside? Sure, it would be great if he could, but if he's a 3rd rounder or whatever he's going to have some hole in his game and frankly I wouldn't be drafting a 270 lb player to be chasing down plays. That's what Debo and Neal are for. I want the SDE to consistently kick the RT's a$$ and make the RB cut back. Everything else is gravy. 

6 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

Chasing plays down, like from the backside? Sure, it would be great if he could, but if he's a 3rd rounder or whatever he's going to have some hole in his game and frankly I wouldn't be drafting a 270 lb player to be chasing down plays. That's what Debo and Neal are for. I want the SDE to consistently kick the RT's a$$ and make the RB cut back. Everything else is gravy. 

I don't even mean chasing down from the backside so much as I mean he's often got a free run and can't accelerate. I think he's a real good college player and could be a backup...as a 3rd rounder, I'd like to shoot for more potential though.

Summerhill likes this

3 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I don't even mean chasing down from the backside so much as I mean he's often got a free run and can't accelerate. I think he's a real good college player and could be a backup...as a 3rd rounder, I'd like to shoot for more potential though.

Where did you watch the Wisconsin game, I don't see it on youtube and while I watched every Iowa game this year I don't recall that game specifically for a single player.  He did have 7 tackles and a sack though so if that's getting your *** kicked I guess it is what it is.  

Iowa players almost always come to the NFL and are solid contributors.  They are extremely well coached, but Iowa doesn't play a very aggressive scheme so I think he can actually be a better player in a scheme that allows him to just get after it.  He won't test like a freak, but he was constantly disruptive throughout the year.  He isn't filling a true pass rushing role, although he does provide some ability there.  I'd see him in more of a Brooks Reed role except he is more stout and would help bolster the run D while being athletic enough to stop plays from getting outside as well.

6 minutes ago, IA Falcon07 said:

Where did you watch the Wisconsin game, I don't see it on youtube and while I watched every Iowa game this year I don't recall that game specifically for a single player.  He did have 7 tackles and a sack though so if that's getting your *** kicked I guess it is what it is.  

Iowa players almost always come to the NFL and are solid contributors.  They are extremely well coached, but Iowa doesn't play a very aggressive scheme so I think he can actually be a better player in a scheme that allows him to just get after it.  He won't test like a freak, but he was constantly disruptive throughout the year.  He isn't filling a true pass rushing role, although he does provide some ability there.  I'd see him in more of a Brooks Reed role except he is more stout and would help bolster the run D while being athletic enough to stop plays from getting outside as well.

Not saying he sucks. I just think "solid contributor" is a pretty weak ceiling for a mid 3rd round guy, if that's where you want to pick him.

And for the record, I don't think he'd upgrade us over Reed.

But again - that's jmho.

24 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Definitely not his best game, especially the first half.  Seemed to play better in the second half and also was getting a push on a lot of pass plays.  Have no idea what round his stock is currently at and not even saying I'd take him in the 3rd.  Think he will be a contributor if he can be had in the 4th or 5th though.