JDFIII

Sign and Trade

8 posts in this topic

I, at this point, would like to begin to see us sure up some of the vacancies we have. In order to do that, I believe we need to sign Marwin Gonzalez, and trade for MadBum. MG is a utility guy who can perform as a solid plus starter. He would be more affordable than Pollack or Cargo, and much more affordable than Harper. He would be a good platoon for Duvall, if that is the direction we are heading, and, he can play elsewhere if needed. this allows our prospect to come up and play, and his flexibilty to benefit us. Madison Bumgardner is a past ace, with something left in the tank, imo. He would be a good leader for the year he is here, and, since he was a Brave's fan growing up, and, we have a good chance at the post season here, he may be inclined to resign, making the prospect(s) needed to pry him from San Francisco worth it. They are said to be looking for a pitching prospect, which we have in spades, and, if he doesn't pan out, he is a free agent after this year.

So are you saying sign Marwin Gonzalez and then turn around and trade him for Bumgarner?

or...

Are you saying sign Marwin Gonzalez and trade for Bumgarner?

It was a bad idea, the title. Trade for MadBum, and sign MG. Sorry for the confusion. I think it would fill our biggest needs. We can look for Bullpen help as teams fall out of the race mid-year.

23 minutes ago, K26dp said:

In isolation I would be happy with both of these moves. The devil of course is in the details.

Right, which is why I had to have it explained.  I'm good with those moves as long as we aren't giving up major prospects for Bumgarner, who is starting to look appetizing to the injury bug.

He has been injured, but in a dirt bike accident, and a line drive off the hand. Those are not body worn out kind of injuries. Those are "**** it, be more careful..."

I love these two moves.  The MB move with a reliever takes care of two areas of concerns.  If we need more bullpen help then we can get that at the deadline.  MG move helps because he is a swiss army knife.  Can play and do many things.  A dream on top of all this would be to add Adam Jones.  To get all then I know we have to move someone.  this could be a time to maximize on pitching and get back some prospects for Julio.  Not saying we will get top tier but something we can use in future trades or as pieces for the future.  

Check out the MG rumor below.    

https://tomahawktake.com/2019/01/11/braves-rumors-mock-trade-san-francisco-giants/

JDFIII likes this

23 hours ago, usmcdirtybird said:

I love these two moves.  The MB move with a reliever takes care of two areas of concerns.  If we need more bullpen help then we can get that at the deadline.  MG move helps because he is a swiss army knife.  Can play and do many things.  A dream on top of all this would be to add Adam Jones.  To get all then I know we have to move someone.  this could be a time to maximize on pitching and get back some prospects for Julio.  Not saying we will get top tier but something we can use in future trades or as pieces for the future.  

Check out the MG rumor below.    

https://tomahawktake.com/2019/01/11/braves-rumors-mock-trade-san-francisco-giants/

Adam Jones is a great clubhouse guy but he brings basically nothing to the team on the field. His total rWAR the last 3 years is only 4.2. Nick Markakis in the same time has posted a rWAR of 5.0. We'd be better off just keeping Markakis.