since68andcounting

"The guy we wanted was right down the hall all along"

60 posts in this topic

This was the quote from Rankin Smith when we hired "Swamp Fox" Marion Campbell for the second time. Frankly, it was corporate spin BS and everyone knew it. The Falcons were a train wreck at that point and NOBODY wanted the job. After multiple turn-downs by guys we wanted, the franchise had to save face somehow. So they grabbed a guy they knew wouldn't refuse. The results were about equivalent to the first go round, about a .300 W/L record.

I'm not saying that's exactly the same situation as now. We've got talent, and there are certainly a lot of OCs who would love to coach Matt, Julio, Freeman, and cast. 

But evidently Kubiak wasn't one of them. And something in the back of my mind tells me I've seen this before. Something tells me that we got the guy we settled on, not the guy we really wanted.

The other possibility is Matt just put his foot down and said "**** no, I'm not learning another offensive play call system at this stage of my career". Which, if true, in some ways, I respect him for it. And maybe this will all work out ok.

putnam6 and Flying Falcon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

This was the quote from Rankin Smith when we hired "Swamp Fox" Marion Campbell for the second time. Frankly, it was corporate spin BS and everyone knew it. The Falcons were a train wreck at that point and NOBODY wanted the job. After multiple turn-downs by guys we wanted, the franchise had to save face somehow. So they grabbed a guy they knew wouldn't refuse. The results were about equivalent to the first go round, about a .300 W/L record.

I'm not saying that's exactly the same situation as now. We've got talent, and there are certainly a lot of OCs who would love to coach Matt, Julio, Freeman, and cast. 

But evidently Kubiak wasn't one of them. And something in the back of my mind tells me I've seen this before. Something tells me that we got the guy we settled on, not the guy we really wanted.

The other possibility is Matt just put his foot down and said "**** no, I'm not learning another offensive play call system at this stage of my career". Which, if true, in some ways, I respect him for it. And maybe this will all work out ok.

I'm not super excited about it either, not against it, just not excited. We settled but, we got the best available to us. Kubiak may have never happened and waiting/hoping for him would waste time and at that point we'd be settling for left overs as all the better coaches would've been hired. DQ Mentioned wanting to talk to coaches involved in the post season. I believe those post season guys are the two from the Rams and I don't believe DQ expected people to be interviewing them for HC jobs. I think the one he wanted to speak with was Zac Taylor and Taylor has interviewed for at least 2 HC jobs. Waiting for anyone could've been catastrophic so they made the best move possible. 

papachaz and Dukeduke211 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

according to an interview I just watched (in another thread) Quinn said he didn't know if Matt was even aware. Although honestly that seemed to be a 'sidestep' answer to being asked if Matt had much if any input....

TheUsualStuff and rounz like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, what else might be going on is that potential candidates may see that Dan Quinn is in a situation where he may not have a job in a year if things go bad. It makes it hard for the Falcons to attract the coaches they may want to hire.

I don't think it's that bad of a hire with Koetter. There was success before with him and I agree with an earlier post, Matt may have put his foot down and said no mas!

And what type of success did Gary Kubiak have in his career prior to the Super Bowl win with him has a head coach? I'm honestly asking because I don't know...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, papachaz said:

according to an interview I just watched (in another thread) Quinn said he didn't know if Matt was even aware. Although honestly that seemed to be a 'sidestep' answer to being asked if Matt had much if any input....

Quinn also said we were in no hurry and he wanted to interview people still involved in the playoffs.

----------

It feels like we saw people being hired and Koetter being considered for other jobs and panicked. He might have been the guy we ended up with anyway, but it does seem we were rushed and worried someone may have grabbed him before us..... or it's just that Quinn is a pahological liar.. who knows, lol

papachaz and Flying Falcon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The difference between the re-hire of Marion Campbell and the re-hire of Dirk Koetter?

Campbell never proved he would win anything.  And I don't mean Campbell didn't prove he could win consistently.  I mean he literally never had a winning record.  Ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Campbell#Head_coaching_record

Koetter is miles ahead of that as an offensive coordinator.  The comparison is ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, SOI said:

Well, what else might be going on is that potential candidates may see that Dan Quinn is in a situation where he may not have a job in a year if things go bad. It makes it hard for the Falcons to attract the coaches they may want to hire.

I don't think it's that bad of a hire with Koetter. There was success before with him and I agree with an earlier post, Matt may have put his foot down and said no mas!

And what type of success did Gary Kubiak have in his career prior to the Super Bowl win with him has a head coach? I'm honestly asking because I don't know...

Kubiak ran successful offenses in Houston, and before that he won 2 Super Bowls as the OC for Mike Shanahan's Broncos.  Just before winning the Super Bowl as a HC for Denver (his 3rd with that team), he resurrected the Ravens' flagging offense.  He's as solid as they come.

But he isn't available, so we had to pick from among those who were.

Stryka and papachaz like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, papachaz said:

according to an interview I just watched (in another thread) Quinn said he didn't know if Matt was even aware. Although honestly that seemed to be a 'sidestep' answer to being asked if Matt had much if any input....

Yeah and on 92.9 they reported DQ said that Matt had basically no input in who next OC would be. It’s basically just a lazy hire cuz there’s “familiarity” between Koetter & Ryan I guess. This notion that Matt pulled so hard to get Koetter here is hogwash. Lol 

papachaz and Flying Falcon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

The difference between the re-hire of Marion Campbell and the re-hire of Dirk Koetter?

Campbell never proved he would win anything.  And I don't mean Campbell didn't prove he could win consistently.  I mean he literally never had a winning record.  Ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Campbell#Head_coaching_record

Koetter is miles ahead of that as an offensive coordinator.  The comparison is ridiculous.

Agreed. Dirk's offense has been successful in the NFL. Marion never had success as a HC ( though he wasn't a terrible DC ).

papachaz and JDaveG like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, SOI said:

Well, what else might be going on is that potential candidates may see that Dan Quinn is in a situation where he may not have a job in a year if things go bad. It makes it hard for the Falcons to attract the coaches they may want to hire.

 

There aren't many coaches in the league that aren't one bad season away from getting canned.  25% of the teams fired their coaches this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jesus said:

What's so special about Kubiak?

He left the game because his health couldn't handle it now wants to come back in a lesser capacity. 

Because when we obsess over someone on these boards, we go all in.

papachaz and falcndave like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shockerfalcon said:

I thought Denver was blocking all kubiak interviews, did we or any team for that matter ever have a legit shot at him?

You are correct. Currently, he's not available and there is only speculation beyond that. The speculation is that if Denver hired an offensive minded HC, they may make Kubiak available based on how the new HC wanted the offense coordinated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SOI said:

Well, what else might be going on is that potential candidates may see that Dan Quinn is in a situation where he may not have a job in a year if things go bad. It makes it hard for the Falcons to attract the coaches they may want to hire.

I don't think it's that bad of a hire with Koetter. There was success before with him and I agree with an earlier post, Matt may have put his foot down and said no mas!

And what type of success did Gary Kubiak have in his career prior to the Super Bowl win with him has a head coach? I'm honestly asking because I don't know...

Agreed. Not much job security at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, since68andcounting said:

This was the quote from Rankin Smith when we hired "Swamp Fox" Marion Campbell for the second time. Frankly, it was corporate spin BS and everyone knew it. The Falcons were a train wreck at that point and NOBODY wanted the job. After multiple turn-downs by guys we wanted, the franchise had to save face somehow. So they grabbed a guy they knew wouldn't refuse. The results were about equivalent to the first go round, about a .300 W/L record.

I'm not saying that's exactly the same situation as now. We've got talent, and there are certainly a lot of OCs who would love to coach Matt, Julio, Freeman, and cast. 

But evidently Kubiak wasn't one of them. And something in the back of my mind tells me I've seen this before. Something tells me that we got the guy we settled on, not the guy we really wanted.

The other possibility is Matt just put his foot down and said "**** no, I'm not learning another offensive play call system at this stage of my career". Which, if true, in some ways, I respect him for it. And maybe this will all work out ok.

Question.

What should you do if the person you want isn't available/doesn't want to work for you?

Don't forget this is musical chairs.  You don't want to be the one without a chair when the music stops.

Other teams are hiring new coaches and building their staffs.  Wait too long and the good candidates will all be gone.... 

Stryka likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, papachaz said:

according to an interview I just watched (in another thread) Quinn said he didn't know if Matt was even aware. Although honestly that seemed to be a 'sidestep' answer to being asked if Matt had much if any input....

DQ was sly on that question. He said Matt wasn’t aware today of agreement. Didn’t mean that he wasn’t involved. 

papachaz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jesus said:

What's so special about Kubiak?

He left the game because his health couldn't handle it now wants to come back in a lesser capacity. 

The Falcons offense in the hands of the right playcsller...but alas, it was not meant to be.

Jesus likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

The Falcons offense in the hands of the right playcsller...but alas, it was not meant to be.

Honestly it's hard to get upset about the decision. I have no control over it. Just go out and win dammmit!

kschreck and WhenFalconsWin like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Matt Ryan seems to Excel with any offense they give him. I still think he made Sark look better than he was, i believe there was more to the story, and why he isn't still here.

Also, Matt says he likes to be coached hard and be pushed to new levels. Which anyone who has ever watched him, Will have no trouble believing that. That's the Ryan we know. Dude is always trying to improve. So I don't believe Matt would be afraid of running any offense at this point.  I believe he would jump into any offense with no problem and say no let's do this.

All that said, if Quinn didn't even talk to Matt Ryan about potential OC's, especially one's he's already played for. Quinn is a **** fool. No way he just hired anyone without talking to his QB. He dang sure can't base it on what he's heard Matt say about him, Matt doesn't talk bad about anyone. Im gonna role with Matt had input on this., because i don't want to believe Quinn is that stupid.

Edited by THEHEADCOACH
Falcons Fan MVP and papachaz like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all honestly we should have held on to Kutty when DQ was hired, but it was understandable that DQ wanted his own guy. Kutty and this offense will put up points, what we need is for DQ to shore up the defense. I get it that everyone has a Gary Kubiak fetish, but he is one heart attack away from retiring for good and the stress of being an OC can't be that good for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to get back to those fast starts we had in 2016.  I know we may not be going up 30 to 7 but a 2 score lead puts so much pressure on a defense it makes them search for plays to be made which means mistakes.  It also means our defense gets to pin its ears back and get after the QB.  That's 90% of the reason why Vic Beasley had 15.5 sacks.  We had substantial leads in 3/4 of the games. 

 

Koetter provides that opportunity as he is not one to come off the gas.  I like him conceptually because it means we will add on to leads instead of trying to salt games away.  Quinn however seems more caught in between wanting a tough physical defensive team as opposed to a powerhouse offensive squad.  He is trying to find that balance and I think when you blend a Knapp, with Koetter and Mularkey along with himself, you may see more balance due to contrasting ideologies. Lets hope for the best but I really believe that having a lot of "chiefs" can be beneficial with the right "Indians".

Dutty Ole Bird likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now