falcon1fan

The new hires

20 posts in this topic

Im not a huge fan of either, but they may be the right choice. They are familiar with ryan as he is with them. This may just be a case of not wanting to throw another learning year away because ryan isnt getting any younger. Hopefully koetter wont change too much and will quickly be able to adapt the game to this teams strengths.

1 hour ago, falcon1fan said:

Im not a huge fan of either, but they may be the right choice. They are familiar with ryan as he is with them. This may just be a case of not wanting to throw another learning year away because ryan isnt getting any younger. Hopefully koetter wont change too much and will quickly be able to adapt the game to this teams strengths.

To me, this is a "play it safe" choice for Quinn.  He knows that another year like this one (injuries or not) and he is likely looking for a job after next season.  

Absolutely agree with you.  I think it is "bring in someone that will require minimal transition because of history and familiarity so we don't lose another learning year with Ryan."  It makes sense even if it isn't exciting.  And it especially makes sense if you are Quinn and want to keep your job beyond next year.

MoFalconsFan56 likes this

If you're DQ, hiring Koetter was probably a no-brainer. His time as HC might be running out, Ryan's career is winding down, etc. He now has a proven OC with HC experience to handle that side of the ball. Adam Gase was an attractive candidate, but a completely unknown quantity in terms of how he and his offensive scheme would work with Ryan and our OL.

I like this hire. We've got the advantage of a quick-start on this season with a familiar guy running the offense. It would be great to upgrade the OL with a couple of above-average FA's to give Koetter a shot at putting together a top-three offense this season.

Koetter was doing fine here, as I remember, and was hired away by TB.  He wasn't let go b/c he wasn't getting the job done.  And......to restate the obvious, his scheme is familiar to MR, so that is a plus.

PokerSteve likes this

1 minute ago, rightsaidfred said:

Koetter was doing fine here, as I remember, and was hired away by TB.  He wasn't let go b/c he wasn't getting the job done.  And......to restate the obvious, his scheme is familiar to MR, so that is a plus.

Sort of.  Basically, he quit when Smith was fIred.  Nolan did too.  Literally like the day they found out or soon after.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/football/nolan-koetter-packed-and-left/AmbPDQLvjCPAoxx8bV68TP/

1 minute ago, Monolith2001 said:

He and Bill O'Brien are two of the best at these reactions. :D

Have you noticed that Bill O Brien has the same lip pursing as Sean Payton?

58 minutes ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

You would have the same reaction if Jameis Winston was your QB.  :lol:

Problem solved if they just kept free crab legs on the sidelines.

JDaveG likes this

4 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

He and Bill O'Brien are two of the best at these reactions. :D

LOL. I was gonna put the bvg gif up, but somebody beat me to it. :argh:

JDaveG likes this

11 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Sort of.  Basically, he quit when Smith was fIred.  Nolan did too.  Literally like the day they found out or soon after.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/football/nolan-koetter-packed-and-left/AmbPDQLvjCPAoxx8bV68TP/

They didn’t want to wait for uncertainty, can’t blame them.  They probably had an idea who was coming in and knew they weren’t in the plans or they didn’t want to work for a rookie HC, something like that. 

JDaveG likes this

15 hours ago, falcon1fan said:

Yeah, I know about that but is it too late. ????