Knight of God

Opposite Of A Koetter Fan - Need The Brotherhood’s Help

188 posts in this topic

Man, without using stats. Not a fan of that. Help me to truly get excited about this hire. I will be honest, I do like Mularkey. Not really Knapp. 

My thing is, I’m a run game guy. It’s one of the reasons I barely discussed Bama as much. Too many times we passed when we should have run this past season and in that complete beat down last night. 

Defense and running. That’s my passion in this game. Control the clock, attack the backfield. Verts just doesn’t suit me. Not a fan at all. I don’t want to argue about 2012. I don’t care about 2012. I’m jealous of you excited folks, I want to be excited too. 

I will be honest. There are three people in football I just don’t like. I won’t explain why, but I just don’t like these three people. We’re talk pros and not Petrino. He’s low hanging fruit.

Josh McDaniels, Dirk Koetter, and Jason Garrett. It’s my team and it would be d-0ushy to not share with my brothers and some of you RL friends. So, give me some info that will make me less ambivalent for the 2019-2020 season. Thanks

22 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Man, without using stats. Not a fan of that. Help me to truly get excited about this hire. I will be honest, I do like Mularkey. Not really Knapp. 

My thing is, I’m a run game guy. It’s one of the reasons I barely discussed Bama as much. Too many times we passed when we should have run this past season and in that complete beat down last night. 

Defense and running. That’s my passion in this game. Control the clock, attack the backfield. Verts just doesn’t suit me. Not a fan at all. I don’t want to argue about 2012. I don’t care about 2012. I’m jealous of you excited folks, I want to be excited too. 

I will be honest. There are three people in football I just don’t like. I won’t explain why, but I just don’t like these three people. We’re talk pros and not Petrino. He’s low hanging fruit.

Josh McDaniels, Dirk Koetter, and Jason Garrett. It’s my team and it would be d-0ushy to not share with my brothers and some of you RL friends. So, give me some info that will make me less ambivalent for the 2019-2020 season. Thanks

I dunno... look at what the Tampa offense did with Fitz and not Jameis.  HC Koetter had way more to do than OC Koetter will, plus all these guys are, while obviously not young and dynamic, serious NFL quality coaches.

Matt Ryan made TWO of them HC material...getting the band back together makes a lot of sense during the twilight of his career.  It would likely have taken at least a year for a Ryan + Dynamic Young Coach combo to really start clicking, while Ryan plus Cutty, Baloney and Knapp have a shyteton of experience together and should be on the same page almost immediately...  I think this is gonna work out nicely!

And bonus:   ANYONE but Bevell...

13 minutes ago, Falconcheff said:

I dunno... look at what the Tampa offense did with Fitz and not Jameis.  HC Koetter had way more to do than OC Koetter will, plus all these guys are, while obviously not young and dynamic, serious NFL quality coaches.

Matt Ryan made TWO of them HC material...getting the band back together makes a lot of sense during the twilight of his career.  It would likely have taken at least a year for a Ryan + Dynamic Young Coach combo to really start clicking, while Ryan plus Cutty, Baloney and Knapp have a shyteton of experience together and should be on the same page almost immediately...  I think this is gonna work out nicely!

And bonus:   ANYONE but Bevell...

At least Bevell runs the ball...:lol:

1 minute ago, Knight of God said:

At least Bevell runs the ball...:lol:

Bro, Koetter has had at least four top 10 run games during his career...I think him not running the ball is a misnomer; I really see it more like a guy who's not going to waste a down on a play that's not going to work just to "stick with the run game and be balanced..."  But if he has the horses to pull the wagon, he'll hitch 'em up...

51 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

He will allow DQ to truly be able to do DC duties.

Posted (edited)

I feel for you, KOG, I didn't like Koetter much when he was here. I can't speak on how we'll play and if it will entertain you or not, but I think something underrated about these hires on offense is that all of our coaches are in their core competencies and/or at their proper level within the organization. Mularkey seems to be an outstanding TE coach, which is why he got promoted in the first place, but I think OC and HC are a stretch. Same thing with Knapp, he should just be a QB coach, that's what he's best at. Koetter, same thing, although I do think he's an NFL-level OC and he's just out of his depth at HC. Raheem Morris has been an HC, and perhaps he'd be better suited to DB coach, but he's a positional coach on the offense, and that's about where he should be. We now have a solid, deep staff with tons of NFL experience. Nothing shiny, no sweet young hire, but four guys that have been around and have seen success in what they're currently being asked to do. Our offense might not be the best offense of all time, but I do think we will be good, and if you can't enjoy Koetter's style, let's hope you find joy in watching what I hope is a good to great defensive unit next year. :lol:

EDIT - Also, what the person above me said. Due to the offensive staff, I don't think Quinn even really has to pay attention to the offense, so he can focus on making the defense the best unit possible. I see our defense improving a lot next year, and if not, Quinn will be gone along with his new hires, so you should come out satisfied in one way or another.

Edited by Sven

Take another look at what Koetter did in Jacksonville with MJD. He is more than capable of putting together a top 10 running game. Heck, when we hired him in 2012 a lot of posters here thought it was a bad choice because they expected the passing game to regress.

He was never able to establish a run game here because he was saddled with a used up Michael Turner / washed up Steven Jackson and an offensive line cobbled together by draft busts (Lamar Holmes, Peter Konz) plus dudes picked off the garbage heap (Jeremy Trueblood, James Stone).

Give him a chance with the talent we have on offense now, especially after we add 2 new starters along the offensive line this offseason (I hope).

30 minutes ago, Falconcheff said:

Bro, Koetter has had at least four top 10 run games during his career...I think him not running the ball is a misnomer; I really see it more like a guy who's not going to waste a down on a play that's not going to work just to "stick with the run game and be balanced..."  But if he has the horses to pull the wagon, he'll hitch 'em up...

You mean in J-Ville when they had no QB and no receivers? Since leaving....he hasn’t run the ball very much 

16 minutes ago, virginiafalcon said:

Take another look at what Koetter did in Jacksonville with MJD. He is more than capable of putting together a top 10 running game. Heck, when we hired him in 2012 a lot of posters here thought it was a bad choice because they expected the passing game to regress.

He was never able to establish a run game here because he was saddled with a used up Michael Turner / washed up Steven Jackson and an offensive line cobbled together by draft busts (Lamar Holmes, Peter Konz) plus dudes picked off the garbage heap (Jeremy Trueblood, James Stone).

Give him a chance with the talent we have on offense now, especially after we add 2 new starters along the offensive line this offseason (I hope).

I don’t want to hear about JVille. That was nearly a decade ago and he has since stopped running

i went back and looked bro. He hasn’t done the run since that time and that was because I’m JVille he had no QB or WRs. 

Funny thing. The same was said when he cameto ATL

2 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Kubiak was the only one who made sense when considering the scheme DQ says he wants to run.  With him being unavailable, Koetter in my opinion was the least risky choice.  Very experienced, decent amount of success, familiar and flexible.  No way to know if this team would be any better next year with Kubiak, Kyle or any other OC you'd pick over Koetter.  I don't love Koetter but I'm fine with him.  I also think he will be very motivated as he probably only has 2019 to show his stuff or he can probably kiss the NFL goodbye as he ain't young (all the rage) and he ain't lucky like Hue Jackson or Jason Garrett.

Control what you can control....and it’s only football, not exactly life changing. 

For the Kubiak hopefuls, he was obviously not an option and the team moved on.

as for Koetter, the past doesn’t always accurately predict the future. He changed from a Run first scheme to a passing scheme, so why can he not change back? Give the guy a chance before claiming you know what he will do.

Dukeduke211 likes this

2 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I don’t want to hear about JVille. That was nearly a decade ago and he has since stopped running

i went back and looked bro. He hasn’t done the run since that time and that was because I’m JVille he had no QB or WRs. 

Funny thing. The same was said when he cameto ATL

^ This. People also bring up the 2012 season and that is nearly 7 years old already. 

Knight of God likes this

3 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Why can I not use stats? 

Georgia has had bigger known runners come out than Bama has recently. and they have better stats. and look at georgia's trophy case. 

The defense under smith was always crap. always placing in the high 20's. Ryan was always having to come back in the 4th because of the defense not putting the nail in the coffin. 

So without using stats. Koetter and Mularkey started off Ryans career.
- They trust Ryan to manage the clock. (remember those days when we open the game with a scoring drive that took 10 minutes off the clock?). 
- When Mularkey and Koetter started with ryan, it started with succes. When matt Started with WCO coaches, they started with failure. and Sark they had to bring in another QB coach to help him. WCO isn't Ryans thing. Yes Ryan can listen, but Ryan cannot manage a WCO as he wants. 
- I still remeber the 2010 season. (trying to not mention 2012). again that was a season we should have won. but the defense in the second half really destroyed us. I get Ryan screwed us with that pick at the end of the first half, but dag nam that should have not been a blow out. And no way should the packers have TWICE as much for time of possession.
- - Give Ryan/koetter the defense of Dan Quinn being the DC, I really see no reason why we cannot be winning in the post season. 
- Lastly, Ryan gets to take control. And Ryan needs to be unleashed. 
-Hooper will improve, obviously. 
- O'line improves. not OMG improve, but ryan knows when it's coming and how to change it up
- Ryan still uses different WR and does a sneak to even making Lineman catch the ball. 

Only thing I question is Freeman in this. as you pointed out, this will not be a run team. never has been by koetter and mularkey. and quinn can say all he wants it'll be 50/50. but that was Turner who made us 50/50. and freeman is a totally different RB. and last I checked Quizz has not exploded like we all know he should have if he was with shanahan. 

Last thing I will say, is who would you have wanted? because I am sick of WCO. yeah it helps coleman/freeman. but Ryan has been a deer in headlights of managing the game. We all thought it was Ryan's best way, but it's not. Yes he can put up the stats, but he cannot manage it at all. I can't even think of one drive in the past 4 years where Ryan controlled the ball for over 4 minutes (might be exaggerating. but it's nothing like Koetter/Mularkey did). 

I feel with Koetter and Mularkey with proven success with Ryan, that is a win in itself. and makes us where we can come out of the gate attacking. 

ohhhh and to the people who say, "Koetter schemes are predictible", well my reply is, "you can't stop it". 

Yes this is Turner. but even Koetters plays cannot be stopped. only way you stop it is letting mike smith manage the game in the second half. 

3 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Here is my take:

DQ is gonna be spending more time on the defense with playcalling. I think that pushed the hand of wanting an OC with more experience than less experience, which really narrowed our focus.

Second, we have no idea what has been said in interviews, etc, but my hope and gut is that DQ really wants to keep a good chunk of the current offensive system, and supplement it with some of Koetter’s vertical pieces and screen game, which had none of last year.

I also think the KKM trio will have a lot better game plans and adjustments on offense than Sark...

With all that said, realistically, who is better that the Falcons had a chance at getting that isn’t s lateral move? I think it’s s big risk to bring on a first time playcaller at this point in MR2 and JJ11 careers...

Look for us to go all in in FA this year for the next 2 years....

Knight of God and poutlipper like this

Running the ball isn't that helpful the team doesn't have the offensive line to let succeed in that area. Seattle's playoff is a prime example of running the ball losing them the game, if we want to run the ball successfully offensive line has to get better. Not much sense in running the ball a lot if you're line is going to have your RB getting stopped for 1 yard gains on most plays. 

I don't know why you have to feel excited about the hire, personally I'm somewhere in the middle, I'll wait for the season to get here and see how it goes from there and hopefully it's for the better. 

4 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Josh McDaniels, Dirk Koetter, and Jason Garrett. It’s my team and it would be d-0ushy to not share with my brothers and some of you RL friends. So, give me some info that will make me feel less ambivalent for the 2019-2020 season. Thanks

Sorry, but as a strong believer in running the ball too, right now I can’t. 

On the defensive side, I have hope.

Koetter's first season in TB, Martin was mostly healthy and ran for 1400 yards. The easy call is: "If Tampa wanted to run, they have would have gone out and got a RB." My opinion is they went down a road much like we me be going with Freeman. Every year they thought Martin was their guy. Suspensions and injuries proved them wrong. 

Think back to his time in Atlanta. Who were the RBs?  How effective were they. Steven Jackson going down with a hammy in week 1 after a fast start comes to mind. I will argue that Koetter's run/pass mix is more a factor of the weapons that have been available to him than his preferred schemes. Evans, Jackson, Godwin vs. Rodgers, ?, ?.  I think the prudent course of action is to throw the ball. I think his final season in Atlanta his preferred weapons were clearly at the WR position. Even TE was a better option than RB. Freeman could have been brought up to speed quicker, but he was a rookie. 

Look at it this way KOG.. we have 3 former OC/HCs looking at opposing defenses every week instead of a college HC with no experience. We have a well versed WCO, well versed Air Coryell, And well versed power Run coach.. if we rebuild the Oline correctly whos to sayvwe cant attack a defense differently every week with different concepts? It will all hinge on the Oline.. in the end Matt Ryan will be given back control of the offense w/ the no huddle.. i think these three coaches can scheme up some great plays together with varying concepts 

I'm with ya'...   thing is that type of football is on the Endangered Species list and simply isn't coming back. It will survive in some aspects, to some degree, but today's NFL is a passing league (think > physical Flag Football) and will remain so. I have cooled considerably on being a pro football fan in general and the type of game is partly why.  I'd like to see a team that uses an effective 60/40 pass mix to get the lead, plays great D, and runs the ball 67/33 to close out the game....  sadly, that probably is never happening again.

It’s whatever Ryan wants man. We can hate it all we want, but ultimately I gotta trust the future HoF QB we have playing in his prime as to who he thinks can get the right plays to him. I don’t think there were any better options beyond Kubiak (which wasn’t happening). Koetter is an upgrade to Sark at least. 

Geneaut likes this

Koetter actually tried alot of quick passes to rb Sjax.. If you don't remember the ball just bounced of Sjax hands.. It's like he forgot how to catch once he got to Atl. If we have a go to back next season, I believe Koetter will use him. As of now, it looks like it may be scat back Ito Smith unfortunately depending if Freeman can actually play a full game 

mashburn*Fibonacci likes this

I will wait and see. The biggest thing is I want to be multiple and attack weaknesses. I am not super excited but am willing to give them a chance. I was encouraged how Koetter was able to move the ball on some of the best defenses in the league. That was my biggest complaint about Sark.

31 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Look at it this way KOG.. we have 3 former OC/HCs looking at opposing defenses every week instead of a college HC with no experience. We have a well versed WCO, well versed Air Coryell, And well versed power Run coach.. if we rebuild the Oline correctly whos to sayvwe cant attack a defense differently every week with different concepts? It will all hinge on the Oline.. in the end Matt Ryan will be given back control of the offense w/ the no huddle.. i think these three coaches can scheme up some great plays together with varying concepts 

This is probably the most convincing argument I've seen...having so much experience should help a lot with gameplanning and adjustments. At least theoretically. And I do have way more faith in Quinn running the defense than anyone we've had lately.