Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

matty72780

Three X coaches back in ATL!? Only in Atlanta, only in Atlanta!!!

46 posts in this topic

Ok, so we’ve hired Koetter and Mularkey as our OC + TE coach. You sprinkle in Knapp it’s essentially the same coaching staff we’ve had at some point throughout the Matt Ryan era.  I didn’t mind Koetter or Mularkey for that matter, I guess my concern is that if these guys could not get it done previously with the Falcons, went to other teams and couldn’t win a SB, now they’re back on Atlanta’s coaching staff - are we crazy to expect anything different? 

Does combining 3 average to “slightly” above average coaches make 1 brilliant coach and/or unit? Honestly, I don’t think so.  Do these “second chances” in ATL for these coaches mean if this doesn’t work we fire Thomas Dimitroff?  This coaching staff will likely be thru the end of the Matt Ryan & Julio Jones era which has been our best chance to win a SB in Falcons history. Is this just a forshadowment of a total future rebuild when we have to replace our best all-time players and our front office? 

I don’t hate the hires but I’m a firm believer that if you didn’t get it done here prior, didn’t get it done at your new gig, how are you going to get it done this time around? 

Chitown2ATL_Falcon likes this

Guess that person deleted the Chargers comment about Ken W coming back and it’s “worked out fine”. The chargers won an AFC championship in 1994. Nothing else to show for it.  

Osiruz likes this

IMHO this was a very smart move...as we're bringing in the personalities that our veteran QB wants and is most comfortable with.  There is no one we come close to a Lombardi with Kubiak or any of the others...it would have been just another down year as we learn a different OC's nuances.  If Matt can just get rid of the ball quick and he has people who know his best attributes as well as the defensive schemes of our division foes we are set up for a good run in 2019.

Osiruz and mashburn*Fibonacci like this

17 minutes ago, HouseofEuphoria said:

I'm 50% disappointed and 50% hopeful, if that answers anything.

I feel like you, but if this OL isn't fixed, it'll put an even larger microscope on this move, which is basically DQ's project.  I'll give it 2 seasons of mediocre ball (not that I want to see it) and DQ and company will be gone. 

This crew combined has tons of NFL experience as coaches and experience with Matty.

Compare that to 2017 when we had Sark as OC, Manuel as DC, Bush Hamden as QB coach. Which do you trust more? The ones that couldn't get it done before, or the young guys? 

Geneaut likes this

34 minutes ago, matty72780 said:

Ok, so we’ve hired Koetter and Mularkey as our OC + TE coach. You sprinkle in Knapp it’s essentially the same coaching staff we’ve had at some point throughout the Matt Ryan era.  I didn’t mind Koetter or Mularkey for that matter, I guess my concern is that if these guys could not get it done previously with the Falcons, went to other teams and couldn’t win a SB, now they’re back on Atlanta’s coaching staff - are we crazy to expect anything different? 

Does combining 3 average to “slightly” above average coaches make 1 brilliant coach and/or unit? Honestly, I don’t think so.  Do these “second chances” in ATL for these coaches mean if this doesn’t work we fire Thomas Dimitroff?  This coaching staff will likely be thru the end of the Matt Ryan & Julio Jones era which has been our best chance to win a SB in Falcons history. Is this just a forshadowment of a total future rebuild when we have to replace our best all-time players and our front office? 

I don’t hate the hires but I’m a firm believer that if you didn’t get it done here prior, didn’t get it done at your new gig, how are you going to get it done this time around? 

Love it. We're finally trying to bring in some men that know how to play football in the National Football League. Four head coaches who've seen a lot of NFL ball. Old school and new school:

• Quinn - great DC who should thrive with better players in FA and the draft this year. Focused on DC
  • Raheem - put him back on defense to coach up the DBs. Hire Robiskie to handle the WRs. Another HC
  • Kutty - take care of the pass game and get back to 2012 level. Ryan will love it. Runs instead of bubbles
  • Mularkey - handle the run game. Ditch the stretch and go back to smash mouth. Make Hoop an All Pro

That's a solid staff. Hopefully they can blend their ideas, change up the game plans week to week and make quick in game adjustments. Somebody on that staff should be able to help Quinn with time management and situational calls. It's on Dimi now to fix both lines. Something he hasn't been able to do. Free agency, trades and draft are all legal. Last chance or State Line.

One of the three (Koetter) was a great OC. The other two were mediocre to bad. 

The great one is the OC again. 

One of the bad ones is a great QB coach. 

The other is a great TE coach. 

Quinn always says he wants to put people in a position to do what they do best. Good to see him apply that to the coaching staff. 

11=team, E. T., me4falcons and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, matty72780 said:

Falcons went to the Super Bowl in 98 with a staff full of previous head coaches!

2 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

Some ppl never happy

It was an objective statement. As mentioned I don’t hate the hires, however are we crazy to think a collective group that couldn’t get it done will be better this time around. That’s all I’m saying. 

1 minute ago, matty72780 said:

It was an objective statement. As mentioned I don’t hate the hires, however are we crazy to think a collective group that couldn’t get it done will be better this time around. That’s all I’m saying. 

I understand- but what were our options? It not like Shanny coming back 

Is this the Atlanta version of ground hog day.... the movie???  So much for new.

LOL this is Dan Quinn show really little creativity.  Well whats next?  Might as well bring back Grimes... (now I am being snarky)

Shanahan was also a failure of an OC until he got here. The Shanny nuthuggers here were crying for months till the product on the field shut them up. I expect Koetter and co to do the same. 

slick0ne and me4falcons like this