egoprime II

Dan Quinn Comments on Offensive Line.....

37 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

You know what the real difference was??.

Ovie

with him the falcons  were among the best in short "to go" situations

with our him...near the bottom

It is AMAZING how much a difference a great FB makes in an office.

15 hours ago, egoprime II said:
Remember when Smitty used an O line full of former UDFA's (Clabo, Diehl, whoever was playing for Baker), and a late round pick (McClure in the 7th) to power thru those short yardage situations on 3rd and fourth downs?  That O line had attitude, man. 

The guys you mentioned are the same size (roughly) as the guys we currently have on the line.  I don't think it is about big and nasty or even the scheme that is hurting us.  It is attitude and toughness that is lacking in our current line vs back then.

All it takes is ONE GUY to bring that.  We saw it with Harvey Dahl back in the Smitty days.  Clabo, Baker, and McClure were around and the line looked a lot like ours has lately.  Dahl gets signed and out of nowhere our line is suddenly a nasty, scrappy group.  Dahl left for the Rams and the line reverted back to being passive.

I think we draft or sign a couple of nasty, get in your face guards and we'll see this line get back to imposing their will whether we stay in zone or move to a power scheme.  

Dutty Ole Bird and egoprime II like this

I think the Power O - Line will work out best for Matt and with a power run ( AKA Michael Turner )  it will work out best <_<:slick:

papachaz likes this

Clinton Portis and Terrell Davis both ran in ZBS. Neither was a 230 lbs power guy. They both ran effectively for years. Those teams did not struggle with short yardage. Penetration kills short runs. Its not always about push. Its about engaging and maintaining blocks so the back can find a crease. We dont have to have 330 lbs mauling guards to have a good run D. Dahl and Clabo were nobodies who embodied nasty attitudes. They were dogs in the trenches. They used good technique but it was more about effort and intensity with those 2. We just need to stop penetration so our run plays can get off. Teco probably was top 5 in negative runs. Maybe a whole lot worse. 

Dutty Ole Bird likes this

4 minutes ago, russ7000 said:

I think the Power O - Line will work out best for Matt and with a power run ( AKA Michael Turner )  it will work out best <_<:slick:

you've been silent for the most part recently, and I've missed your input! good to see you're still with us

:tiphat:

Just now, papachaz said:

you've been silent for the most part recently, and I've missed your input! good to see you're still with us

:tiphat:

been here most of the time M - F but just lurking mostly..... Hey have you heard from Tuggle or Magnus or Garrow69 ??

papachaz likes this

Just now, russ7000 said:

been here most of the time M - F but just lurking mostly..... Hey have you heard from Tuggle or Magnus or Garrow69 ??

no, I don't know the last time I saw Magnus or Garrow post, Tuggle opened a few of the in game threads, but he's not posting much either. I seem to think that somewhere it was posted He's had some serious family stuff (health issues for someone in the family??) and I know that's way more important than baby sitting us  ;)

1 minute ago, papachaz said:

no, I don't know the last time I saw Magnus or Garrow post, Tuggle opened a few of the in game threads, but he's not posting much either. I seem to think that somewhere it was posted He's had some serious family stuff (health issues for someone in the family??) and I know that's way more important than baby sitting us  ;)

Yeah ... Fam is very important ... just wondering B)

papachaz likes this