egoprime II

Dan Quinn Comments on Offensive Line.....

37 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

To me, this is an opportunity to get away from ZBS style blocking.   Dan Quinn wants to the team to "impose its will" on, to get nasty with opposing teams.   Best way to do that is to have a bunch of power blocking bullies upfront followed by a big power running back. 

Remember when Smitty used an O line full of former UDFA's (Clabo, Diehl, whoever was playing for Baker), and a late round pick (McClure in the 7th) to power thru those short yardage situations on 3rd and fourth downs?  That O line had attitude, man.  Yeah, Turner was an expensive free agent signing, but... the Chargers originally drafted Turner in the fourth round, like we did Freeman.

If the Falcons sign several FA's and\or spend some high round draft picks on ZBS style O linemen, the Falcons will be 'married' to the ZBS style scheme for years to come... our O line will not be 'imposing its will" on anyone. I think the Falcons need to go out and find three new power-type starting O-linemen.  Then hire a coach to run it.

Under Jim Mora the Falcons offense had seperate coaches for the running and passing game, with Alex Gibbs teaching\designing ZBS style run blocking.... and Greg Knapp managing\designing the passing plays.  We already have Knapp.  Dan Quinn needs to hire Mike Mularkey to coach\manage a power blocking scheme.  On gamedays Mularkey could be our time-management coach, with Gnapp calling the offense.

That way the Falcons can convert those short yardage situations, win the TOP battle.... and keep Dan Quinn's D off the field, which is the best defense of all.
Edited by egoprime II

I have a hard time believing that Freeman will be successful in a power scheme. It really marginalizes his quickness. It'd be fine if we weren't paying him 8 mil per year, but that's not the case.

JDaveG likes this

2 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Remember when Smitty used an O line full of former UDFA's (Clabo, Diehl, whoever was playing for Baker), and a late round pick (McClure in the 7th) to power thru those short yardage situations on 3rd and fourth downs?  That O line had attitude, man. 

Obviously dont you remember year after year of mike smith going for it on 4th and 1 and we couldn't get it? Lost to AZ in the playoffs. Off the top of my head I know we lost to NO failing to get 1 yard.

No, we didnt power through anything.

2 minutes ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

I have a hard time believing that Freeman will be successful in a power scheme. It really marginalizes his quickness. It'd be fine if we weren't paying him 8 mil per year, but that's not the case.

Freeman won't be on the field long enough to figure out what our blocking scheme even is. He is done and will never be fully healthy and play on a consistent basis again.

robertap likes this

2 minutes ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

Totally agree with you about Freeman.  Falcons would have to get a new power running back, for sure.

About Freeman:  every running attack needs some lightning, remember Quizz Rodgers?   Freeman is too expensive to let go, but he does have value as a change of pace pass catcher out of the backfield.  Splitting the workload between a power runner and Freeman would be the way to go.

papachaz likes this

6 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Obviously dont you remember year after year of mike smith going for it on 4th and 1 and we couldn't get it? Lost to AZ in the playoffs. Off the top of my head I know we lost to NO failing to get 1 yard.

I recall the NO game as well.   I also recall Smitty having huge success running the ball on fourth and short, certainly in his first four years of running the team..... before TD's soft pudgy O line draftees took over starting in 2013.

Taking a chance, and succeeding, on fourth down was one of the things a lot of us here liked about Smitty.

Posted (edited)

If I recall correctly Quinn said in the season wrap up interview we are still running the zone scheme.I believe he will ultimately live or die by it.

Screenshot_20190108-191012_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Ryan2White

5 minutes ago, Ryan2White said:

If I recall correctly Quinn said in the season wrap up interview we are still running the zone scheme.I believe he will ultimately live or die by it.

And now the Falcons hired Dirk Koetter as Off Coord.    To my knowledge neither he, Mularkey nor Knapp has ever coached the ZBS blocking scheme, though Knapp -did- call ZBS Alex Gibbs designed run plays when Vick was here.

17 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

And now the Falcons hired Dirk Koetter as Off Coord.    To my knowledge neither he, Mularkey nor Knapp has ever coached the ZBS blocking scheme, though Knapp -did- call ZBS Alex Gibbs designed run plays when Vick was here.

Koetter does some inside zone. Don't remember any outside zone from him

egoprime II likes this

1 hour ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

TATF says Freeman can do it all. RELAX

13 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

Koetter does some inside zone. Don't remember any outside zone from him

And that's fine, because inside zone, trap blocking and counter trey can all employ power blockers, since they aren't running 15-20 yards sideways almost every time they run the ball.

1 hour ago, egoprime II said:

Totally agree with you about Freeman.  Falcons would have to get a new power running back, for sure.

About Freeman:  every running attack needs some lightning, remember Quizz Rodgers?   Freeman is too expensive to let go, but he does have value as a change of pace pass catcher out of the backfield.  Splitting the workload between a power runner and Freeman would be the way to go.

Freeman runs harder/more violent than many backs bigger than him. There is a difference between being small and being short.

as for lineman, the only two worth keeping (Matthews, Mack) can play in any scheme.

Posted (edited)

Falcons are going to need to select an OT at #14.

The ZBS inflates the skills and numbers of pretty-good RBs.

They will need to draft a RB this season or the best in nexy season's draft.

They need a RB who can "do-it-all". Block as well.

I think they may be moving-away form ost of the ZBS this to help OG Sweitzer and Harlow.

They have to save money somewhere. I've a feeling, they won't be able to sign a very good OG in 2019 NFLFree Agency.

Edited by Rise

2 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Freeman runs harder/more violent than many backs bigger than him. There is a difference between being small and being short.

I really like Freemans ability to cut and hit the hole.  He is one of the best run finishers in the league IMHO.  He virtually always falls forward.

But Freeman is not a 25-30 carry a game back.   Falcons need to let Freeman get about a dozen carries and 6-8 receptions a game.   Get another bigger back to punish the defense with.

Koetter helped make Quizz Rodgers a player;  Freeman is very similar in style.

3 hours ago, Rise said:

Falcons are going to need to select an OT at #14.

The ZBS inflates the skills and numbers of pretty-good RBs.

They will need to draft a RB this season or the best in nexy season's draft.

They need a RB who can "do-it-all". Block as well.

I think they may be moving-away form ost of the ZBS this to help OG Sweitzer and Harlow.

They have to save money somewhere. I've a feeling, they won't be able to sign a very good OG in 2019 NFLFree Agency.

We gonna trade for Leonard Fornett

5 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

You know what the real difference was??.

Ovie

with him the falcons  were among the best in short "to go" situations

with our him...near the bottom

We were pretty solid with it as well with Patrick Dimarco who use to absolutely destroy people when he hit them.  That was a horrible mistake we made letting him go over like 2 or 3 mil in cap space.  He was a pro bowl FB for us while he was here and made our run game and pass game much better

8 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

as for lineman, the only two worth keeping (Matthews, Mack) can play in any scheme.

Good post. Been telling my friends Matthews and mack are the only 2 ol worth a ****

4 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

You know what the real difference was??.

Ovie

with him the falcons  were among the best in short "to go" situations

with our him...near the bottom

Patty D leaving and Chester retiring really hurt our offense. We haven't found a replacement for either yet.

9 hours ago, egoprime II said:

Knapp is a WCO guy from San Francisco. He was brought up in a zbs

Vandy and egoprime II like this

12 hours ago, runshoot said:

It is starting to get out of control with the revisioning of history folks are talking around here in regards to the Mike Smith Era. 

JDaveG and egoprime II like this

8 hours ago, Hibachi said:

We gonna trade for Leonard Fornett

There's already one guy on the roster that can't stay on the field at the same position. Why would they trade for Fournette?

1989Fan likes this